No announcement yet.

SSC and TW Coming Back Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BWP, If TW is fully functional by Sunday, I feel like Sunday is still fine. However you make some good points about testing etc. We're still open to playing this Sunday (i've only spoken to a few of our wbs but I don't think there would be a problem).

Comment

"that only leaves a few days for testing" ...I honestly agree, with this allotted time I'd say it would be a stretch to see if bots are fully functioning. We have to consider many scenarios that could arise like the bot not responding when a command is punched in therefore "lag issues". Secondly we should test the bot in a mock LD game where it is 49-49 to see if the bot signals any glitches or performs any hiccups visible to the eye. We wouldn't want another time issue like TWLB therefore we should look at the mechanics behind the 'ticker' and see if it runs down from 20:00 to 0:00 smoothly. Finally we should consider if the bot's name is spelled correctly when it's entering into ?go TWLD (ex: TWLBot and not TwLbOT) Evidently if these tests could be completed in the 'few days time frame' that would be incredible and I absolutely cannot wait to watch Pandora and Fierce battle their boxers off for the Championship game
      SSCU Trench Wars TRIPLE CROWN WINNER
      SSCU Trench Wars
      Triple Threat
      SSCU Trench Wars TWEL Top 3 Finalist
      SSCU Trench Wars Starting Spider Melee 2003
      SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Champion (2x)
      SSCU Trench Wars TWLD Champion
      SSCU Trench Wars Michael Schumacher of Racing2
      SSCU Trench Wars Unprecedented Balancing KING
      SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Top Stats 3 years running

MAD shoutouts to MUH BOYS atm

Comment

just wondering

do we know who did this? has that been found out/released?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

mm god wont release that info for some reason. makes no sense to me what the reasoning is for keeping it a secret. if anything it may prevent a further attack if someone notices that person on another alias or w/e.
          1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

The day they unban me is the day when u gonna notice pop increase recognize this m_m god.
            https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Trust me it's not a matter of not wanting to say who did it, it's all about accusing people without real solid evidence at this point. With our zone still being down, no access to logs etc to do some real investigation and the hosting company running their own investigation, it's all just speculation at this point. Safe to say is, it's imho an (old) SS player who somehow holds grudges to SSC and/or wants to see this game die. The rest shouldn't matter at this point. About TWLD Finals this sunday; I'm more than happy to have them played, but as I told bwp, you gotta take into account that we _might_ face another DDos attack, need to see if our new protection can withstand it and if our bots are all still running fine after this. I'm sure most of our dev would love to have a few days off after working their asses off 24/7 since our zone has been down (getting a backup zone up, working with other zones DEV etc.) and aren't really itching to fix broken TWL Bots and other things that might occur once TW is back online.
              Would be nice if fierce and pandora can both have their squads prepared to possibly play the finals this sunday, but it's not at all set in stone at this point. I hope you can all understand my standing points on this.
              Retired SSCU Trenchwars Head Sysop

1:24> they'd rather add afks than me
              24 is in for Freq 1 as a Warbird.
              1:M_M God> gg

help: (renzi) (Public 33): is it possible for a washing machine to cause a wireless connection to lag?

Candy King, -C4L-

Comment

Originally posted by zidane View Post
                i didnt mean pandora , soupero owns that one
                bro can you finally join, would love to have you on board #experience #vet #leadership #paradise

Comment

Thanks to all that worked their freaking butts off on this.

As far as finding the perp, we are so close knit at this point that not knowing who did it will eat us alive. Assuming he's an older, average/above average TWD player, and played recently, then that narrows it down to a really, really small pool.

On a lighter note, until we have evidence to the contrary, I would like to put the name Soupero forward as a likely perp. He had motive: he's European and hates America. He has the brains: he knows a lot about unicycles, and is always talking about Microsoft Excel.

Originally posted by soup View Post
                  bro can you finally join, would love to have you on board #experience #vet #leadership #paradise
                  Continue playing innocent. Keep my name out of your mouth.
                  4:BigKing> xD
                  4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                  4:BigKing> what did i do???
                  4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                  4:BigKing> ???? why though
                  4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                  4:BigKing> xD

Comment

There are many individuals working on finding out who did this (with sufficient evidence against them), including myself and SSC Ops. All leads are being followed of any odd occurrences that happened before the DDoS attacks. However, until then, it is best for the general public to move on and realize that staffers are still doing their job on this issue. It is not like staff will forget this ever happened. When the individual is caught, they will be punished accordingly, and depending on how much goes on, their name will eventually surface somehow.

I guess I prefer people to have their own choice in ruining their own dignity. Going around saying "X DID IT!" does not do anyone any good. I prefer we just take this as a learning experience on what we can all do better and move on from there. This individual will be found and handled by SSC Ops and other zones' staff (as this affected everyone).

Staffers and SSC Ops will not forget what happened over this past week. You can be sure of that, especially since I'm here. So feel free to go on your happy way blowing up spaceships, and when more surfaces, rest assured that it will be handled the best way possible.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                      and is always talking about Microsoft Excel.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
                      SSCU Trench Wars TRIPLE CROWN WINNER
                      SSCU Trench Wars
                      Triple Threat
                      SSCU Trench Wars TWEL Top 3 Finalist
                      SSCU Trench Wars Starting Spider Melee 2003
                      SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Champion (2x)
                      SSCU Trench Wars TWLD Champion
                      SSCU Trench Wars Michael Schumacher of Racing2
                      SSCU Trench Wars Unprecedented Balancing KING
                      SSCU Trench Wars TWLJ Top Stats 3 years running

MAD shoutouts to MUH BOYS atm

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Eye View Post
                        There are many individuals working on finding out who did this (with sufficient evidence against them), including myself and SSC Ops. All leads are being followed of any odd occurrences that happened before the DDoS attacks. However, until then, it is best for the general public to move on and realize that staffers are still doing their job on this issue. It is not like staff will forget this ever happened. When the individual is caught, they will be punished accordingly, and depending on how much goes on, their name will eventually surface somehow.

I guess I prefer people to have their own choice in ruining their own dignity. Going around saying "X DID IT!" does not do anyone any good. I prefer we just take this as a learning experience on what we can all do better and move on from there. This individual will be found and handled by SSC Ops and other zones' staff (as this affected everyone).

Staffers and SSC Ops will not forget what happened over this past week. You can be sure of that, especially since I'm here. So feel free to go on your happy way blowing up spaceships, and when more surfaces, rest assured that it will be handled the best way possible.
                        While I agree that you shouldn't release anything until you have proof positive; not releasing the name of the person would be a big mistake. Unless I am mistaken, your post is making it sound like you are saying that 'don't worry about who it is, staff will deal with this'. This isn't going to fly with most of the community. We want to know who did it. We want to know that the vulnerability has been addressed so it doesn't happen again. Anything less than this will negatively impact the zone. Who did it should not be some big secret, nor is there any real legal implications.

But please don't blow this off with the 'it doesn't really matter'. It does. As you say we ALL can learn from this. For example, if I recruited this person and had them on my squad, I would want to know so I could figure out how to better screen players.
                        eph

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                          While I agree that you shouldn't release anything until you have proof positive; not releasing the name of the person would be a big mistake. Unless I am mistaken, your post is making it sound like you are saying that 'don't worry about who it is, staff will deal with this'. This isn't going to fly with most of the community. We want to know who did it. We want to know that the vulnerability has been addressed so it doesn't happen again. Anything less than this will negatively impact the zone. Who did it should not be some big secret, nor is there any real legal implications.

But please don't blow this off with the 'it doesn't really matter'. It does. As you say we ALL can learn from this. For example, if I recruited this person and had them on my squad, I would want to know so I could figure out how to better screen players.
                          eph
                          Eph, who it was or happened to be won't matter in the long run because they will face a long (possibly permanent) netban for their actions. Last time someone was DDoSing our zone (not even all of SSC), he received a 1,000 day netban, if I'm not mistaken. Either 1 or 5 thousand (I forget and don't have the information in front of me). That is all dependent upon whether evidence is brought forth. However, naming a person without sufficient evidence is still wrong. Once sufficient evidence is found, they will be immediately netbanned. If BanG Ops (from all zones) do their duty correctly, you won't have any opportunity to hire them onto your squad to begin with because... well... they will be netbanned immediately upon evasion. It isn't like this person is going to be permitted to be around the SSC zones anymore. The only thing that will come of releasing the name is that people would be like "oh... so that's who did it." Nothing of real value comes from knowing who it was besides just having mere satisfaction of knowledge.

As for the vulnerability of the zone, that is determined upon what PriitK advises the hosting service does if this ever happens again. Right now staff has already made the ASSS zone which has protection unlike our subgame server used to have. Whether that has changed is up to the hosting service that runs our zone.

A name does not matter in the long run. What matters is how they attacked the SSC zones, by what means, and how that can be remedied for future instances.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression that ddos attacks from people who actually know what they are doing are pretty much impossible to trace and impossible to stop, and that any "protections" are pretty much bullshit. So is the kid doing this some kind of newbie or what.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent Seal View Post
                              mm god wont release that info for some reason. makes no sense to me what the reasoning is for keeping it a secret. if anything it may prevent a further attack if someone notices that person on another alias or w/e.
                              Its unlikely he knows. His post seems to infer that he believes its an old or disgruntled TW player, it does not specify that it is or who it is. Thus, deducing that its an old/disgruntled TW player is probably the most obvious probability.

Comment

Originally posted by M_M God View Post
                                Trust me it's not a matter of not wanting to say who did it, it's all about accusing people without real solid evidence at this point. With our zone still being down, no access to logs etc to do some real investigation and the hosting company running their own investigation, it's all just speculation at this point. Safe to say is, it's imho an (old) SS player who somehow holds grudges to SSC and/or wants to see this game die.

Obviously considering TW is a highly obscure game online with only maybe 900 or so unique IP's bouncing around actively within the past several months or year, its almost obvious it has to be someone who knows of TW and has played it. It would be very unlikely that some stranger would just decide to attack such an obscure game randomly which serves no purpose.

Further, even if you did true investigating, how likely would you be able to pinpoint an individual, maybe a general location or origin, but an individual name or alias/player name i just find unlikely. Doubtful there would be any meaningful cooperation from the origins side considering its such a low level issue, the best you might get is an origin area/IP.
                                Last edited by BooBiesYaY; 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X