Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wormhole surfer's NEW PUB MAP (on trial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
    Fork,
    Ask yourself this instead. How many new maps have been tried over the last 20 years? Did any of them fix anything?

Again, nothing wrong with a new map; your map is indeed pretty. But it is the same as putting a paint job on a car that has a motor that smokes, a transmission that slips out of gear, stereo doesn't work, and the car only starts every now and again. There is no denying that a new paint job makes it look better; but everybody will see through it immediately for what it really is.
    eph
    I haven't seen a base as good as this ephemeral in the 9 yrs i've been playing and it's only because our zone is down that's allowed an opportunity to test a great looking base and gather peoples opinions about it. Its def not my map... Credit goes to wormhole surfer. The map can be improved depending on how the majority of people would like it to be (to make it more fun) before we go back to the old style pub map heh. It could create some fun during these depressive times (where people are logging in and out str8 away)- least people can talk about something: new map.
    1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

Not trying to be a hater, but I'm not happy with it. Bring back the Arilou map, or at the very least the recent pub bux map. Playing on that map doesn't feel like TW. And what's the deal with the crappy shipsets?

Comment

Here we go... got warped on a rock :O
        1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

fork u done...get our giant AI boss idea out there
          1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
            But it is the same as putting a paint job on a car that has a motor that smokes, a transmission that slips out of gear, stereo doesn't work, and the car only starts every now and again. There is no denying that a new paint job makes it look better; but everybody will see through it immediately for what it really is.
            Sure, the fancy pub map is nothing more than a paint job.
            That's all it is meant to be - and I never thought for an instance that it would be anything more than just that.
            My only intention is BETA testing WHS's public arena prototype - and to collect player reactions.
            It's simple, really..

Being directly involved with the important issues (TW and abroad) ..
            I'm not so naive to think that all we need is a new paint job..
            This is why all of TWDev's effort is being concentrated on further developing the server.
            Our #1 priority is to serve a stable, full-featured TW zone.

What it 'really' is, is a map. Let's not over-think this..
            A better analogy would be a basic PC from 1993, outdated and obsolete --
            yet will continue to serve the original purpose as long as nothing impacts it.
            Much like TW.

So Eph - understand that my spontaneous decision to BETA test WHS's pub has nothing to do with the issues our community and this game currently face.
            I'm well aware of the real issues and have been doing everything within my power to alleviate the problem.
            Not just so we can slap a band-aid on things and hope to survive another winter -
            but also prepare TW for permanent stability, indefinitely into the future.

What we are doing isn't just a paint job -- we took TW into the shop.
            Or, more accurately "Pimp My Ride" (pimpin' the server/biller, map is unimportant)
            Last edited by KrynetiX; 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM.
            ▒█░▄▀ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀▄ █▀▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ░▀░ ▀▄▒▄▀
            ▒█▀▄░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░░█░░ ▀█▀ ░▒█░░
            ▒█░▒█ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░░▀░░ ▀▀▀ ▄▀▒▀▄

Comment

Kyn,
              Nothing wrong with a new map, nothing wrong with testing a new map. But I read Fork's original post as positioning it as being a solution to the zone's issues.

As you know I have been beating this drum, probably ad nauseam, for several weeks because we continue to have many postings with bottom up ideas being presented as 'zone savers'. Frankly I don't like to argue against player ideas; I would rather encourage ideas. But I wish folks would understand just how many great ideas have been lost and discarded after failing; not because they were a bad idea but because the zone's real foundational issues bite them in the ass. And of course I wish that I had a higher level of confidence in the zone finally coming around to fix the difficult procedural/process issues but that jury is still out.

So I apologize for being adamant on this topic, your post is reassuring.
              eph

Comment

I think the dress up could help appeal to new players a bit, since all these young millennial gamers are all graphics bums.

I read all of the people's opinions in OP's post, and many are very valid points that will need to be addressed in order for this map to work smoothly, if we decide to have it or not. I guess that matter will be up to the so-far dormant TW Council.

But changing the skin of the game is really only going to be a small part to fixing a much larger problem. Aside from getting TW stable again, new player retention should be a #1 priority for the zone. After the server crash, we are sure to not have the same population as before, so getting and keeping new players needs to take precedence over anything else.
                "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
                - Thomas Jefferson

sigpic

Comment

I like it, maybe its time for a change, yeah we all love the good old bare bones tw and we say that we have the largest pop so why change anything drastic, it must be working.. but the zone has been the same (besides a few small changes) along the years for over 10 years. Do you look and act the same as you did 10 maybe 14 years ago? Maybe a map isnt the only thing we could think about changing or upgrading. However I will say that the flagroom entrance should be opened up a little, maybe add a backdoor entrance, spice it up a bit. Maybe add something like the base radar that distension uses to show who is holding base leading more players towards the base possibly so that newbs understand theres a base, I know I had no idea the first few times I played in 03. And also like others have said this base just screams faster gameplay to me, rather than our mediocre speed in pub half the time
                  Big Chill

Comment

Hm, why don't we experiment with this kind of thing in TWD first and see how successful it is? After all this is where we need to get new players most according to many recent forum posts.

Comment

Originally posted by bkgmjo View Post
                      Hm, why don't we experiment with this kind of thing in TWD first and see how successful it is? After all this is where we need to get new players most according to many recent forum posts.
                      you never know, changing maps and settings might be all we need to create new competition in twd and further, twl, given the fact that there is only 3 squads out of 10 or so capable of winning, maybe its time to shakeup the curve and make it new for everyone again to level the playing field, granted some will still excel further than others but meh its worth a shot
                      Big Chill

Comment

Originally posted by RoDNeY View Post
                        you never know, changing maps and settings might be all we need to create new competition in twd and further, twl, given the fact that there is only 3 squads out of 10 or so capable of winning, maybe its time to shakeup the curve and make it new for everyone again to level the playing field, granted some will still excel further than others but meh its worth a shot
                        TWD is pretty much dead yeah,
                        one of the reasons is because of the older players that left and
                        the newer players just don't want to put in the effort to get on the same lvl as the current twd players. ( which takes years..)
                        Changing twd so everyone gets a fair start seems decent, more chance of new blood staying
                        but expect alot of whining of the older players who put in lots of hours in getting good @ the current twd,
                        this might be too 'revolutionary' for them!
                        Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

Also a reason for it being tough to reach the level of "competition" might be CEd res, highly specialized graphics mods, massive use of game-flaws like lag effects or repel buggyness and so on. It's like those guys who play Mario Kart Wii online and take buggy shortcuts just to brag they won the game and ruined it for everyone else. But those things have become so established around players who call themselves "pro" and accepted by league management for ages that I doubt they will ever change.

Comment

We've got 80 people in pub right now, and a good 15v15 going as I post this.

The old pub map looks boring and plain compared to the map we tested a few days ago on the ASSS server. If we have any hope left to bring more players (and retain them) to this zone/game, we need to be focusing on the pub experience, not league experience, because it's the first thing new players experience.

When I first started this game I spent ALL of my time in pub, playing leagues destroyed the old pub experience. Fix and update pub first (which I've seen a bunch of vets, like myself, enjoying the past few weeks). Find a reason to keep people online, even if they are afk (like the IdleRPG bot that JoWie has).

Keep the leagues offline for awhile longer and lets bring back the community feeling that pub used to have, the rest will follow.

imo.
                            zidane> big play
                            Omega Red> dwop sick
                            mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                            WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                            1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

Working...
                            X