No announcement yet.

The Decline of SS and TW is real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s put this to rest right away. I have no aspirations of running the zone. In fact health issues that I am facing over the next year would disqualify me from even being a good candidate. I am an advocate of helping TW for selfish reasons; I like being able to login and being able to play some competitive basing. It offers a distraction from real life. I like the teamwork that is generally required to be successfully in this zone whether it is in a league or pickup games in Pub, ?go base, or even hockey.

I would like to see the zone at least be sustained for many years to come. My greatest concern is that attrition is slowly making this less and less likely. I have tried to be an advocate of ‘new players’ for many years and frankly it has been a tough row to hoe. Again, not because I am noble but because I am selfish. So same with me asking upper staff to consider braking the bond between zone permissions and leadership roles. I am recommending it because I think it is what needs to happen to keep the zone moving forward. I have not gravitated towards leadership roles in the zone but rather have tried to contribute in other ways (i.e writing HoN, helping with rules rewrite, helping Moot with the zone’s mission statement, assisting new players, etc.). Leadership is what I do/did in real life, I knew that it would fuck my enjoyment of the game if I made this a job too. So no, being involved in TW leadership is not one of my goals.
    Eph

Comment

• Just a few ideas I'm gonna throw in/agree with;

*This zone always worked better in some areas with less automation. Players love it when Staff are actively engaing with them, whether it be playing in Pubs or being a part of an event.
      *Keep new players interested. The key is how. The F1 guide in Pub is a start, but the idea of a physical tutorial is a step up.
      *What is the zone about? What is Trench Wars? Seems like Pub is a mess at the moment? We need a definition of what we are about! Then we can align Pub/Zone to it.

I apologise if it's too concise, I don't have too much time to properly write it up.
      "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
      • Shark
      • Dicer
      • Sager
      • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

• Slowly but surely Mootland Farmer positions himself to etc

Comment

• I don't really think speaking with demonic is a very productive thing at this point. Not only because of my personal opinions, but when someone opens with "I spend my time with my kids and am looking for a replacement"; I don't particularly think that is someone you talk to about sweeping change.

I just think this and the TWD thread are a clear indicator, in some regards, of the level of lacking in staff and particularly upper staff's approach. It took 14 days for a staff member above League Staff level to respond to this thread, and the responses from the other non-turban members of staff weren't exactly substantive. No one from PR (dunno if that even exists anymore) and no one from upper for 2 weeks. Not to say that staff should sit around writing essays to debate with Eph all day, it just seems like a response in this thread from a high tier staff member and a response in the TWD thread from the head of Leagues, no matter the content, is almost a given. Eph may be annoying sometimes, eph may exaggerate some points, but if you can't see the clear truth in what he is saying....idk. HOPE AND CHANGE?
          TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
          TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
          Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
          - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
          Originally posted by kthx
          Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

• that whole tutorial thing probably should have been implemented into the client many, many years ago like an option in the subspacce main menu before you login

the dsb tutorial was great though
            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

• Get qan active again and I will nominate him for systop.
              1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

• Originally posted by Summa View Post
                I don't really think speaking with demonic is a very productive thing at this point. Not only because of my personal opinions, but when someone opens with "I spend my time with my kids and am looking for a replacement"; I don't particularly think that is someone you talk to about sweeping change.

I just think this and the TWD thread are a clear indicator, in some regards, of the level of lacking in staff and particularly upper staff's approach. It took 14 days for a staff member above League Staff level to respond to this thread, and the responses from the other non-turban members of staff weren't exactly substantive. No one from PR (dunno if that even exists anymore) and no one from upper for 2 weeks. Not to say that staff should sit around writing essays to debate with Eph all day, it just seems like a response in this thread from a high tier staff member and a response in the TWD thread from the head of Leagues, no matter the content, is almost a given. Eph may be annoying sometimes, eph may exaggerate some points, but if you can't see the clear truth in what he is saying....idk. HOPE AND CHANGE?
                Correct.

Just because nothing has been posted however, don't assume upper staff haven't seen or even share some of the same concerns overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Demonic View Post
                  Correct.

Just because nothing has been posted however, don't assume upper staff haven't seen or even share some of the same concerns overall.
                  Well then that just shows failure of understanding basic leadership....
                  TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
                  TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
                  Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
                  - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
                  Originally posted by kthx
                  Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

• If only there was a way to haul new people into this zone. Not one by one, but in waves of 100s.

Unfortunately that will be impossible given that this game is most likely not attractive to 95% of the gaming population.

The only way to save this game in the long run would be to develop Trench Wars 2 with same approximately the same game mechanics as the old game, but make it a little more presentable to gamers of today.
                    1:Da1andonly> korven plays subspace from a 1978 microwave

Grab a piece of paper. Place a dot in the middle of it. Draw a small circle around the dot, and leave the rest open. The dot represents your knowledge. It's what you know. It is the limit of your mind's capacity. The circle around the dot is everything that you don't know - but you know that it exists. And the rest of the paper is everything that you didn't even know that you'd never know - that exists or has the potential to exist.

Comment

• depre is onto something here boys turban did you write this shit down? TW2? I mean Helloooooooooooo

Comment

• Originally posted by Depre View Post
                        If only there was a way to haul new people into this zone. Not one by one, but in waves of 100s.

Unfortunately that will be impossible given that this game is most likely not attractive to 95% of the gaming population.

The only way to save this game in the long run would be to develop Trench Wars 2 with same approximately the same game mechanics as the old game, but make it a little more presentable to gamers of today.
                        Maybe it's about time we follow Vidiot_X to PhoenixUSC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turban View Post
                          speaking from my perspective, i have little to no power to directly influence any major decision in this zone.

i was put to this position mostly against my own will through some silly private vote which involved six people - five TWL operators and a sysop. it hardly felt official, and still doesn't to be honest. not to forget that it was way too rushed. they really did not give me an option, aside from declining the offer, but no one else wanted anything to do with leadership and responsibility. i feel like i was thrown under the bus as a temporary resource, but no regrets. it had to be done, and i'm someone who almost always agrees to help given the circumstances. it was an easy way out, but probably not the right call at that time.

nevertheless, i don't care about that all that much in truth. i know its not healthy to do this, and i will step down the moment someone capable enough is willing to take over. i'm not sure who that someone is, but if its the right person i can continue to support behind the curtains.

short-ish rant.
                          Speaking of that mostly rigged vote regardless of the outcome of it you were going to end up running twl. As you've already shown you are the best candidate to do the job and have run a pretty flawless season probably the only good pick out of the litter. Thank you for not being terrible at the job turban ^_^
                          5:LF> no the worst texts ever are having to explain to your gf why "megaman89" is demanding that I be somewhere at 3PM on a sunday

5:fiS> you're lying, my mom doesnt even know how to poke

pinkSTAR has been released from the kitchen long enough to serve you ?go elame3 -Reckful
                          1:Cig <er>> ROFL
                          1:fiS> LOL
                          1:MAGI KOZ> hey population just spiked in here</er>

Comment

• Ya on a positive note...The adding of more games to play in TWL this year was a VERY good idea. I know my squad has enjoyed playing more games.. this is WAY better than the 1 rnd stuff of old. GJ on that staff/Turban
                            TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
                            TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
                            TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
                            TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
                            TSLD CHAMPION 2018
                            TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                              Ya on a positive note...The adding of more games to play in TWL this year was a VERY good idea. I know my squad has enjoyed playing more games.. this is WAY better than the 1 rnd stuff of old. GJ on that staff/Turban

He tried something different/ fun... and people were more interested. Do something similar to twd, do something similar to pub and you'll get the same effect. People lose interest in things because little happens- repeating the same thing over and over again for years will result in people losing interest. Like i've always said, start experimenting with ideas (realistic ideas/ doesnt require too much time making it on the coding side), gather peoples opinions of those who play the game (and not just from forum trollers)- if everyones against the idea- question why?- there could be small reason why they don't like the idea (which could be fixed)- if not- could always remove the idea and start again with another one. These ideas should be focused on increase gameplay and not ruining it.
                              1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

Working...
                              X