Let's discuss changes that could be made to the base for after TWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopGod
    imagine the 1-shark line on defense, no cram. 5 spiders lining, 1 jav cleaning up the rest...
    The line would fail on the side opposite side of where the shark is placed.

And no, it just puts more pressure on the other ships to pick up the 2nd sharks job...
    The only ship that can rep is the shark. No other ship can help do that job. You'll never get in once you get kicked out.

Originally posted by Mayo Inc.
    hmmmm i havent seen those kinda lines have any success top
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Randedl
    How many times has a 1 shark max lineup been competatively tried? maybe basing would be a hell of a lot better if squads could only use 1 shark.
    Could be, but playing 1 shark against 2 sharks is no use. 1 shark lineups would work only if, like you say, 1 shark was max. And I hope this won't happen because it would pretty much kill another aspect of the game, and that's the cooperation between your teams two sharks.

Originally posted by pv=nrt
    MAKE THE PUB WEASEL AN OPTION. AT LEAST GIVE IT A FREAKING CHANCE.
    Please don't. This is just my oppinion of course, but I absolutely HATE ships with varying size.

Originally posted by Fit of Rage
    I think that the wider enterance (see Stab's screen shot) should at least be given a chance to be tested for a couple days in ?go base. What's wrong with experimentation? It's better to try it now than a few days before leagues.
    Absolutely, why not let people make new maps and try them in ?go base for a couple of days. Hell, we might start liking some of them.

Originally posted by Troll King
    The only reason any ship selection limits should exist is if too many of them create an imbalance (e.g. levis, terrs). When applying this to spiders, we have to ask ourselves whether or not there is an imbalance that needs fixing. Right now spiders play important roles in basing, no matter how many are used. Is that an imbalance?
    Most squads use 5 spider lineups now. Perhaps spiders are too overpowered, and thus needs limiting? Or just downgrading? I don't agree, but I'm just saying, that's an option.

Originally posted by Verthanthi
    No it's not the 5 spiders. WR used it a bunch last year, and those games were still fun.
    Fun for who? You? The opponent? The spectators? I'm sure a lot of people disagree with you. But maybe you're on to something, wr didn't cram.
    "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

someone should try the 1 terr 1 shark 5 spider 1 wb/jav line sometime.

Comment

someone should try the 1 terr 1 shark 5 spider 1 wb/jav line sometime.
        Been tested and sometimes it even works. I've seen 1 terr 1 shark and..
        6 spids
        4 spids 2 wbs
        3 spids 2 wbs 1 jav
        They are quite effective as long as the terr keeps getting greens. The nme team can easily push into the fr but getting control of the flag is harder than one would expect.

Why not test different settings in base2.
        Another idea about base/base2 that I've said earlier. Keep base as it is and change base2 settings to test settings or if there aer no new settings to test change the map once a week. So that there could be 8vs8 basing in bases like boki too.
        5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
        5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
        5: Da1andonly> =((
        5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
        5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
        5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
          Five spider lineups are making basing boring as fuck. There's no denying it. You can say that a limit shouldn't be in place, that eventually squads will just develop a new strategy on their own through experimenation. Fuck that. As long as cramming is bringing in wins (GO SPASTIC GO!) squads will go right on using it again and again. FORCE people to start experimenting by setting a limit of no more than four of the same ship per team, or go buck fucking wild and set a limit of only one shark per team. Either/or will undoubtedly stir things up enough to bring some excitement back to basing.
          I thought it was common knowledge that we have used AE in jav several times. Look at the league games vs Camisade, Light, and I think 1 more squad.

To me the most exciting thing would be changing the basing map. But in the long run, I definitely think basing needs to incooperate ALL the ships.

A different idea here ... why not add a ninth ship? ... this may hafta involve a change in the basing map though ...
          Last edited by Sufficient; 08-28-2003, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Actually, Jonas, several of the games we ran 5 spiders in were considered extremely entertaining by the spectators. I beleive we first used it to control div, but don't hold me to that.

Comment

I think the key ship to busting the cram is the jav. Pallies is lucky enough to have a talented base jav who just knows when to shoot and get a 5fer. I don't like the idea of 1 shark for some reason... but I'm getting more open to the 5 spider limit.

While I don't THINK it should be implemented, I too hate the cram and wouldn't mind seeing it be messed up just a little.
              Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Sufficient, even with only four spiders, you guys always cram.
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient
                  I thought it was common knowledge that we have used AE in jav several times. Look at the league games vs Camisade, Light, and I think 1 more squad.

To me the most exciting thing would be changing the basing map. But in the long run, I definitely think basing needs to incooperate ALL the ships.

A different idea here ... why not add a ninth ship? ... this may hafta involve a change in the basing map though ...

yeah! let's throw in that 9th ship! it needs a chance, nobodfy ever plays it and it's hella fun if you do it right, i don't care if ppl call it new. . .

oh right, there isn't one. adding a 9th ship wouldn't be a trench wars project, it would require a new write-up of continuum, and that's a big step. i think we should look at incorporating the 8 we already have before looking at a 9th
                  Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
                  Philos> there is something about you
                  Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

i think he means playing 9 ships instead of 8. aka, terr 2 sharks jav 5 spiders.

Comment

No no no no no, it's retarded to put a limit on spiders. All that's doing is putting a huge crippling effect squads that use lineups of 5 spiders. Let people use whatever lineup they want. I know people think using a jav is the greatest thing ever, and think it works so great, but just wait until you go against a squad that's experienced in dealing with a jav.

I think it would be awesome if the lev could somehow be incorporated into organized basing. If used for defense, it would be a great weapon, but it would also hinder the team that's using it because they couldn't get too close to where the lev is bombing. On the other hand, if a team wanted to, they could get a lev up into the base to help break the cram.

I don't think that the zone of TW is balanced until every ship is used in basing.

Hey, now there is a cool fucking idea. 8 ships... 8 people per team. Coincidence? I think not. Let's do basing with 1 of each ship. It would be awesome.
                      sdg

Comment

So.. remove all the socalled "boring" parts/styles/strats from the game. Force people to use "cool" lineups/styles/strats.
                        Make base so people can enter/leave when they want, and we will have the perfect game.
                        The game might even run for like. 7 years, people wont leave because they get addicted to it...

First it was lining, wich was boring, now it is cramming, wich is boring. Still I feel the urge to come online whenever I can and play the game...

This is Trench wars.. in world war opposing forces used to lie in a trench full of mud for weeks fighting over one yard.. sounds alot like cramming to me

Anyway to me cramming is just a stage, where lining last year seemed to be the perfect strategy, now it is cramming. Points rise faster and there is much more man to man action.
                        Base didn't get changed, the tactics did. Maybe the biggest problem is the amount of "arranged" basegames you can play nowadays. If anything might get boring it's the overkill on games you have.

I think the biggest problem in cramming is that some terriers don't want to take chances and get themselves milked. Sitting around the corner might keep you alive, but when it gives you an attack disadvantage it means milking.
                        Clear lower, move up as a team (your own attacking cram), kill sharks, move in, eat full charges (when you are way up in the ent defending spiders can do nothing but sit still and be repped against the wall). And if you put enough speed in it you will kill the entire team in split second.
                        If your attack doesnt work you might as well die and try again, because the deathrate in ent gets higher/as high as in tube.
                        You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                          Hey, now there is a cool fucking idea. 8 ships... 8 people per team. Coincidence? I think not. Let's do basing with 1 of each ship. It would be awesome.
                          I think it would get damn boring, because with one of each ship, the levi would be in spawn trying to green, the weasel would be trying to sneak in past an x-radar equipped terrier, and the lancaster would be hobbling around trying to get its energy high enough to fire. It would die after about a minute. Sorry.
                          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

8 ship basicng has been done, and it blew by all accounts (at least the game I played in). No one ever said lining was boring, to my knowledge. It's easy enough to break, that's why.

Edit: Also, it has many more dimensions than cramming does.

Comment

No one ever said lining was boring
                              I just did.
                              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

8 ship basicng has been done, and it blew by all accounts (at least the game I played in). No one ever said lining was boring, to my knowledge. It's easy enough to break, that's why.

Edit: Also, it has many more dimensions than cramming does.
                                I'm sorry, but the cram has many factors that must go right in order for the cram to work. It is just as intricate as lining.

Btw I did mean what Top said. 9 ships for basing. NOT a 9th ship for SS.

Comment

Working...
                                X