A Semi-logical view of the Staff Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Semi-logical view of the Staff Problem

OK, As you have probably all noticed, there have seem to be a shitload of threads popping up on the issue of staff being axed, abusing, newbie staff, et cedera. I noticed this about 1-2 weeks ago, and since then have been compiling noted and thinking the problem over. (Yes. Even during school. If you want ill scan some scratch I did during algebra )

First off, you might be wondering, "Jerome you have only been playing TW for about a month now. what makes you qualified to make these statements?" Well, thats partly true. I've played on past aliases, before RoboHelp, even when people said "Wanna SD?" instead of "DD?" I then retired from TW under mounting pressure of alot of my friends from SVS zones and the general non-TW community. for about a year I worked my way through the rest of the SS community -- Mod at a SSDZ zone, then worked my way to a head GroupOp on the SSDZ Biller, then staffed at SSXH Kaos, then SSXH RedStar, then kind of jumped around at various places. I finally returned to TW hoping to pursue high quality events hosted by high quality staff, staff I wish i had worked with in other zones.

And, I walked into..this.

So, I offer my views as advice for something. One of the problems with TW is how the Staff seem to be monolithic in their operation -- after posting this, nothing will be solved, nor any action taken. But by posting this I can do my part. [cue corny novel into] And So, I Begin. [/cue]

First off, I have noticed through and through that the players seem to think the Staff are horrible. This is only half true. The lack of proper Staff is a DIREC impact of Veterans. Yes, Veterans.

Think about it. You're a newbie in go base listening to Veteran A and Veteran B talk about the good days and TW.

Vet A> damn, staff sucks.
    Anon> lol Vet A thats only because u never got on it
    Vet B> duh he never did, staff is so shitty being on it would be an embarrassment.
    Newb> Oh boy! if i get on staff, i'll be made fun of! better go read forums and turn into Annux, ppl LOVE Annux!

Now, any self-respecting person or someone who wants to be 'popular' will follow social norms. And right now, the social norm is fairly Anti-Staff. And the problem is perpetuated by the anti-staff rhetoric flowing around these forums, in the game, everywhere. I have a Extremely accurate example: myself. I've wanted to be on TW Staff a number of times. But recently, I'm sure someone here can find a quote that I posted, somehow flaming the Staff.

So Folks, to summarize the chapter:
    -"Vets" are in part contributing to the TWStaff ("TWS") downfall; instead of contributing their wisdom as a <ZH> or <ER> they simply harass the TWS.
    -Newbies who are most potential for TWS are seemingly 'driven off' by these Veterans. (Ex: I'm sure some newbie is trolling these forums reading about Icey <ZH>.)

OK, so i've placed some of the blame in the hands of the Player base of Trench Wars. So, it's time to deal out my argument against the Staff.

DISCAIMER: I Will be tuning most of this argument against the Zone Helper, because thats where most staff start out at and where most "go wrong",

FIRST OFF: I will propose and Alternative use for RoboHelp. RoboHelp is the single number one cause for <ZH> decline. Another example from personal experiences:

Jerome> ?help (question, important at the time concernign my computer moniter)
    RoboHelp> blah blah trenchwars tech help forums blah.

...5 minutes...
    Name <ZH> lol sry bro i was playing deathmatch, what do you need?

This also brings in a sub-argument: Staff also seem to think that their playing of games takes precedence over the players of Trench Wars. But back on track...

That alternative I said I would propose earlier, well here it is: I think that RoboHelp should be placed in an arena such as ?go Help, and newbies can simply !help how do i blah. I understand this system is open for 'abuse and flooding', but hell--the sysops made the bot, they can sureashell add a spam-kicking feature, after like 4 questions in 30 seconds or something the player will be silenced or kicked...or, maybe a 1-question-per-minute thing.

This would eliminate the bot having to answer through ?help calls and save the staff the problem of answering them.

"But omg jerome, if i dont answer 30 help calls in a month ill be axed!!!"
    "!TELL IS NOT "ANSWERING", GG

The short-term effects might be less than par -- several <ZH>'s who LIVED off of !tell will be axed, but in the long run <ZH>'s will have to be more educated in order to help ?helpers.

Which brings me to another point: <ZH> knowledge. I have noticed this through a number of random ?helps on other aliases, but the staff seems to have shot for brains when it comes to many problems asked by a number of players. Now I sure as hell am not saying every <ZH> should know everything before being staffed, but they should expertise in something. Personally, I've been helping newbies set up their game--simple tricks like adding ?messages and ?chats=this,this into their Auto part of their profile to make their day easier, to more technical things like using ctrl in spec to spectate ticked names.

Sub-argument: many staff must obviously think theyre too important to talk directly to the player. Many times I will see a newb in like ?go Public10 (instead of the real Public arena) and I will go in. Sometimes, I even go AFK. when I come back, 2 or 3 staffers have passed through the arena and the newb is still there. So I message him with tips on using ?arena or escape-a and how to scroll and goto and arena, and he says "hey thanks!", insinuating the staff either didnt talk to him or they explained it too vaguely, or probably used RoboHelp to talk to the poor guy.

But back to the main point, It seems the staff isnt too trained anymore -- again, the staff cant get experienced players because theyre too assholish to be staff or they were staff but thought they were too superior to be caught abusing.

This brings me to an IMPORTANT Issue. It seems to me that eople complain about, say, 2dragons lagging in elims, or staffers 'trucing' elims, but someone like Tigerex does a ?help call or two and gets axed.

I can understand why some staff arent being axed, with a 'shortage' of competent players, the TWs are probably valuing their own.

But on the other hand, it creates more anti-staff sentiment. A <ZH> tries to replicate a higher staff's Actions (like trucing) and get the axe. They then flame staff on TWS and get their position back.

So whats causing all this abuse? Whats causing more and more staff to be Axed?

The people. People hate staff, Staff positions become less-appreciated, staffers get bored with players flaming them and they abuse. Staffers flame staff for getting axed, players side gets strengthened.

I Just kind of got a writers block and flamed out, so i'll either continue this later or just see what you guys think. Feel free to argue my points, I'm not useing quliaifed sources so i'm sure i got something wrong.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

I see what you are saying and i agree entirely about Robohelp, there was a long span of time in which Zone Helpers could claim Robohelp's responses as their own by saying "on it" in staff chat hence that counting on their staff stats however measures were put in place to limit this. HOWEVER Staff has in the last year or so had problems with "Respect" which is a growing problem which has been caused firstly by certain recruitments and secondly and most importantly by ROBOHELP. Robohelp answering help questions is directly linked with staff unpopularity, due to Robohelp taking a majority of help calls people have less contact with <ZH>'s and consequently when they become <ER>'s people are saying "Wtf who is this newb". Its not that the "newer" staff are doing a bad job its that no one likes/respects their work because as far as the TW public is concerned they have done fuck all. And Rightly so because all they have done is memorised a list of !tell's and remained mostly anonomous.

I know that certain staff members and many Tw players are rooting for Robohelp to be Changed so that he does not automatically answer help calls based on Keywords (as this often leads to confusion/Resentment) and some even want Robohelp removed entirely. I am perfectly happy with the bot responsibilities being downsized with an eventual progression to its removal once the current ZH's learn what is required of them.

When i joined staff there were never this many complains and this much resentment and Staff claim that it is not due to the caliber of people that they are recruiting. Perhaps this is true but if that IS the case then the Smods should be looking to find the other possible reasons and the only alternative reason i have concluded is that the quality of Service has become worse and the attitude of staff has changed somehow. Decisive action to correct this can only really take place through deciding exactly what staff WANTS to be and then striving to achieve it and any who deviate from this design should be removed from Staff. Afterall its not like there are a lack of people willing to stand up and take the job and do it properly under a REAL risk of being removed from Staff. At present (with the way in which staff works) those who are more valuable to staff as active Hosts or Older Moderators are allowed more of a chance to break TW rules than those who are seen by staff as expendible. Cig Smoke for example was axed for teaming which may or may not have been the case, however we all know that other staffers can and will continue to get away with it on their merits of active hosting. This was all mentioned in Jerome's post and i really think he has a strong point.

This is not a post to try to cause trouble or provoke anyone just a perspective, think of it what you will.

Tigerex
    Last edited by Tigerex; 09-24-2003, 06:42 PM.
    Tigerex

Comment

Agreed. Robohelp is part of what prompted me to write this in the first place, It coupled with other factors are leading to the digression of Staff Quality.
      Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 09-24-2003, 08:41 PM.
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

I have 100 help calls in less than 2 weeks and i still dont' know how to work robohelp :/

Comment

Paul for God.

Jerome, I agree about Robohelp, but what can you really do about the staff quality personally? Mama and Weaver will hire who they think are qualified for the jobs, and that's the long and short of it. Errors in judgement are inevitable, and sometimes are unforseen. Staff, as a whole, in my opinion is getting better from the way it used to be about a year to half a year ago. A few recent <ZH>'s have become more adament about answer ?help calls directly, and that should help them be better upper staff members when the time comes for them to be promoted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that... we just have to wait it out? Or something.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

robohelp can only be blamed so much for things involving staff. At the end of the day, it is the staff member who decides whether to use robohelp or respond to the player directly, robo helps with alot of the simple questions such as what is burst, or what is portal etc, these are mediocre things that can be explained quite easily by robo in a couple of lines of text, but, it also removes the direct contact between staff and players.

Personally i believe staff members should use robohelp AND talk to the player to make sure they understand what has been said by the bot, you cant substitute human interaction with a bot, for example:

?help how do i use anti warp.

robohelp would take this call, so no-one would necessarily respond, the player may feel silly to say i dont understand what robohelp is saying, and therefore still not know what it does, without the interaction from staff members, you are not necessarily getting the service required. The only thing i can suggest is, if you need live help then say so in the ?help you send, like ?help how do i use anti warp, can a staff member respond rather then robohelp. Perhaps this would work, although it shouldnt need players to have to ask, or perhaps its bacause im an old mod and use to doing it without bots heh.

Dem

Comment

1) Who uses help? I'm a newbie and I've never had to use help. Maybe once to say please start go base and once in Hockey Zone.

2) Asking "?help I have a problem with my monitor" is a little beyond what staff should be expected to answer, don't you think? And you STILL got a personal response from a ZH. Do you think you'll get a response about your monitor from SONY or DELL in 5 minutes? You might (if you pay for it).

3) Threads with semi-logical, analytical, intelligent, etc. in the thread... Heh, ok, I won't pick on that one, I know I spend too much time thinking about this stupid game, too.

4) ?help can we get 5 million a day 24/7 bot hosted base, wb, and jav games

5) ?help can we get a 24/7 pure basing pub.

Comment

Its not worth talking this much...everything has been brought up before

Comment

if the majority of recruits werent like this then robo help wouldnt be a need. its appears as if ppl who are recommended are randomly chosen. however the arrogancy of certain upper staff doesnt allow the community to act since they belive all is well cause they are in control. terrible
                  The steps of life are easily forgotten by those who climb the ladder.

Comment

Stop hiring newbies. I'd be willing to bet the majority of the current crop of ZHs haven't even taken the time to scroll through the F1 help listing and read it in its entirety.
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

I haven't scrolled through the f1 help listing and read it in it's entirety either and I've been playing for almost 3 years :/
                      TelCat> there arent 'sort of' get the flag

Comment

Originally posted by Azhran
                        I haven't scrolled through the f1 help listing and read it in it's entirety either and I've been playing for almost 3 years :/
                        Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

i do it daily!
                          Tigerex

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo
                            :/
                            TelCat> there arent 'sort of' get the flag

Comment

Originally posted by Worr
                              Its not worth talking this much...everything has been brought up before
                              Fat people are really hard to kidnapp.
                              Shock.p3 Media Player

Comment

Working...
                              X