No announcement yet.

Whats wrong with .?go base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with skate, also why are there not any more of those around. Or am i just not getting invited, <please be the first one it would break my heart to here im not loved>.
    Last edited by kamakazi-insomniac; 01-05-2004, 07:17 AM.
    Juice "Oh my god, when I encounter authority, they just give me more pills. I take the pills and then I'm not so... so anxious to be against authority because I'm... I'm... I'm on the pills."

Comment

The problems with ?Base are many and I am not sure that over the long-term it is ‘good’ for TW.
      Here are the issues that I believe are detrimental;

- Uneven and lopsided games. The majority of games (>65%) have final score deltas of greater than 50k. This causes additional problems as people simply quit game or just give up and start messing around (not playing seriously). This isn't good for the game.

- It’s a popularity contest, with the same friends, squadies and vets being picked over and over in each game. This makes it virtually impossible for ‘unknown’ players to be picked, just as Jackie points out above. I, too, have log on with an unknown name to see how long would take before I would get picked. I never got picked once in the 12 games I sat there for. SO for the next 2 weeks, I tired to ‘build’ a decent reputation on this unknown name and playing during periods when there weren’t a lot of people in the arena. But still no luck, even after two weeks hanging around and trying to ‘prove myself’, I was rarely picked. This isn't good for the game.

- ?Base is encouraging the gap between Pub play and decent basing action. As the better players migrate to ?Base, the quality of play in pubs goes down. This isn't good for the game.

Now please understand that I like ?Base and don’t want it to go away. It provides an arena that is orientated towards team play. And this is, in my opinion, a very good thing. However, due to the reasons stated above, the current implementation may be doing more harm than good.
      Thoughts?

Comment

Make ?go base games up to a score instead of timed.

I've suggested it before, maybe it makes more sense now. If games are won by the 1st team to 70k then:

No more 103k-30k games. Lop-sided games will end sooner, close games will last longer. A 70k-30k game will be short, a 70k-69k game will be longer.

Going by score, there's always a *chance* of coming back. If the opposing team got ahead by 30k, it's possible for your team to catch up 30k. There's no point in playing if you're down by 50k and 2 minutes left. Everyone knows that there's a point in time where if your team is down by so much, it's impossible to win given the time left.

No more hiding. People hide because if they can wait out the time, they win. If you're playing to 70k and your team has 65k, you still need to fight. If you don't try to take the flag room, the enemy will sit on their flag rewards until they win.

To prevent the never-ending game, first to 70k or better score at 25 minutes wins.
        Last edited by geekbot; 01-05-2004, 01:50 PM.

Comment

secret basing was cool.

Comment

I like the sound of that idea geekbot.

Ephemeral, although it was 'interesting' for new people, me, to get into base. Having the caps limit the number of new/potentialy bad players to a low number keeps the games more interesting and fun. I have seen many caps attemt to put in one 'new' player in spider each game, even if they are subbed out sometime during the game.
            Last edited by Vitron2; 01-05-2004, 03:09 PM.

Comment

go base will always be about how well ur known and how good you are. however the latter supercedes the former because i have been playing for quite some time now and i still rarely get a chance.

im not saying that im a great player but im certainly not the worst either. however day in and day out i sit in spec and wait for my chance to play and dont complain about it.

the moral of this story is that many newer players will not get a chance to play and even if they do it is unlikely that they will get another chance because they did not do well.

there really should be a way to make games that only newer players can play in, perhaps set a usage limit so that anyone over a certain amout of hours is ineligible to play in that match/arena

Comment

HOW CAN U BE THE CAPTAIN OF A FREQ THERE?

if you are not the captain the wait to play or ...........spec is so long

Comment

Maybe it's time we gave pub a chance. (Cue John Lennon montage)

Comment

Can we stop this whole culture of saying ?go #secretarena was brilliant for basing just as a way to look cool. I know for a fact that 50% of these forums and perhaps the people here never knew about it until it became ?go base or knew about it but no one told them the arena name. We can judge your coolness on your posts, not your vetness
                    Originally posted by Facetious
                    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

dont know if u forum people know me but whenever i enter ?go base i allways get picked while i dont even base alot so dont know why everyone is complaining so badly
                      admit it

I'm hot

twlj champ season 8
                      twlb champ season 8 10 11
                      twdtj champ season 3

Comment

Re: Whats wrong with .?go base

Originally posted by Vantage
                        I was playing base today and i added a few ppl. All of them wanted to jav... So i said no. Then they just left. The same happened with TSM who couldnt take being criticized as terr so he specced.
                        wtf, u criticized tsm? hated
                        (¯`*•.¸,¤°´'`°¤,¸.•*´¯)
                        (¯`*•.¸,¤°´'`°•.¸O¸.•°´'`°¤,¸.•*´¯)
                        \~~~~~~~•.•~~~~~~~/
                        << evoce >>
                        /~~~~~~~.•.~~~~~~~\
                        (_¸.•*´'`°¤¸¸.•'´O`'•.¸¸¤°´'`*•.¸_)
                        (_¸.•*´'`°¤¸¸¤°´'`*•.¸_)

TWLJ Season 10 Champion (Thunder)
                        TWLD Season 9 Champion (Sk8)
                        TWLD Season 8 Runner up (Pirates)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                          Can we stop this whole culture of saying ?go #secretarena was brilliant for basing just as a way to look cool. I know for a fact that 50% of these forums and perhaps the people here never knew about it until it became ?go base or knew about it but no one told them the arena name. We can judge your coolness on your posts, not your vetness
                          But basing before #myth or #secretbase or whatever was better because it wasn't running all day, there was maybe a few games a day, which made people want to play it, made it better quality, and the teams were usually more even. People who were picked were just happy that they got picked, and usually didn't care what ship they got put in.

Base runs almost 24/7, the quality of it is bound to be worse and usually the games become totally lopsided. People who played #basers, etc were generally nice people but as ?go base is a public arena, of course you're going to get people that aren't welcome/people that whine, leave during game, etc. Even if you did go back to a priv arena, there are more basing chats than ever with more people on them so the word that it was a priv arena would soon go around so it would end up the same as ?go base

?go 0

EDIT: Now I think about it, why do people put a full stop infront of the "?" on the forums (eg .?go base)?
                          Last edited by NaiLed; 01-06-2004, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X