Intel or AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel or AMD?

I am buying a new desktop and I need to figure out what processor to choose. I am not much of a tech geek on computers I just play them. So I basically want to know what the Pros and Cons of the two processors and what I should consider.

Basically Ill give you a run down of what I am trying to purchase. I am basically going to purchase a mid level computer that will last for a good long time (college/med school) and still allow me to play cream of the top games. I have everything down that I am purchasing I am just wandering what processor to choose because thats the only thing I need to know and the rest Ill be straight.

Any suggestions whatsoever Ill appreciate it

AMD

Comment

I bought miself a new amd yesterday :P
      Originally Posted by HeavenSent
      You won't have to wait another 4 years.
      There wont be another election for president.
      Obama is the Omega President.
      http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

If I were you, I would wait until people give you real reasons and advice, instead of just naming one of the two.
        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
        ---A few minutes later---
        9:cool koen> you scorereseted
        9:Kim> UM
        9:Kim> i didn't
        9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
        9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
        9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
        9:pascone> lol?

Comment

AMD is cheaper and they have been proven to be just as good as an Intel, lots of gaming teams swear by it. But, I don't think they have the same hyperthreading technology of Intel. But, I don't have a processor that uses it, only the motherboard.
          DELETED

Comment

intel is more expensive but faster in running a lot of programs, plus it runs cooler

amd is hot and cheap and fat for gaming

that's my experience of the two.
            5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
            5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
            5: Da1andonly> =((
            5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
            5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
            5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

It depends on what you want but if you are talking about the real deal... a 64bit processor then AMD is the wa to go... they are an entire generation in front of Intel since AMD is already able to do 64bit processing with a dual core processor... for example you cannot even compare the AMD Opteron to the Intel Xeon. If you are buying a 64 bit processor i would definitely tell you to buy AMD, if you are going for a 32 bit one i would suggest you to compare both... both AMD and Intel are very good processors although Intel processors tend to be more expensive. If you want a mid level computer i would advise you to buy an AMD because the money you save might be employed into buying other stuff for your computer or maybe saving some money while the performance might be just the same as with an Intel processor of the same speed, the increase in performance that the Intel "might" provide perhaps doesn't justify the price increase, and in today's computers it is just as they say "processor doesn't matter" if you don't have the other stuff at the same level ^-^ .
              Last edited by Arikel; 07-05-2005, 05:51 AM.
              A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Which models?

Comment

# *BASE_PRICE: [+729]
                  # CAS: NZXT Nemesis Metal Mid-Tower Case 400W W/ side-panel Window (BLACK COLOR)
                  # CD: CD-RW 52X32X52 (BEIGE COLOR)
                  # CD2: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
                  # CASUPGRADE: NONE
                  # CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3000+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
                  # FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
                  # FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
                  # FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
                  # HDD: 160GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE -- Recommended
                  # KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR)
                  # MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
                  # MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
                  # MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
                  # MONITOR: IMPRESSION 19inch .26mm SVGA COLOR MONITOR [+149]
                  # NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
                  # OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [+89]
                  # POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
                  # RAID: NONE
                  # RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
                  # SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
                  # SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
                  # SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
                  # USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
                  # VIDEO: ATI RADEON X600 XT 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD

Basically thats what my comp is looking at so far.

Comment

AMD Because the very fastest AMD there is , is probably cheaper than the 4th or 5th fastest intel there is and it will be more speed for money.

its a wonder how intel stays in business. more TV commercials and marketing is the only reason. marketing has nothing at all to do with the peice of technology its self.

Comment

Hyperthreading is a crutch. It's a hack. I won't get into it too much since google can provide far more well informed answers than I, but a well designed processor will have no use for hyperthreading.

It's the same thing as selling a car which has some manufacturer's defect that prevents it from going over 65 mph, then the manufacturer releases a new version of the car that isn't as gimped, then calling it a feature.

Intel's genius marketing staff have succeeded in brainwashing the vast majority of people believing hyperthreading is a feature. If Intel designed the P4 architecture correctly in the first place, it would never have had to release hyperthreading.

Price/performance wise, AMD wins. The lower level Athlon 64 chips outperform top of the line Intel chips on most benchmarks.

Get any of the new AMD processors, and buy yourself some truly decent hard drives. You'll have a much better performing system overall.
                      TWSites.com - TWSites.com Web Hosting Services
                      qan> dock's raw animal magnetism and sheer ability to reboot bot cores inspires lust in all genders :P
                      3:wadi> no yawning on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
                        If I were you, I would wait until people give you real reasons and advice, instead of just naming one of the two.
                        Well of course he was gonna run into the store and buy AMD because two guys said so in the forum. :fear:
                        And you should give some weight on those oppinions too, the guys have most likely thought about it before they made their decisions.
                        Originally posted by Jeansi
                        intel is more expensive but faster in running a lot of programs,
                        But that's why you should rather compare cpus that are equally fast.

Silly post... They both have products that go beyond mortal people's budget, and you never should give any credit to the people who have the fastest cpu that's so expensive no one will buy it. The fast cpus are mostly just marketing gimmicks.

Comment

What's the difference between 754-pin and the 939-pin AMD CPU's? I'm looking at the AMD 64 3000 with 754-pins versus the AMD 64 3000 with 939-pins.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...E10248,00.html

Comment

The main difference is the RAM channels, 754 is single channel, 939 is dual channel.
                            Ronin

Comment

ty

Comment

Working...
                              X