Data recovery from an ancient HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data recovery from an ancient HDD

My dad has an old PC with Win95 Plus loaded on it, and he wants me to recover his old files. The problem is, it is in his basement. So if I wanted to recover the files I would have to pack his 12 yr old monitor, case, keyboard, mouse...etc. That shit is mad heavy, yo.

Since that's a total hassle, I was wondering if it was possible to just take the case, remove the HDD and just plug it into my modern system and see it if will at least boot. I highly doubt it would be compatible (software-wise), but it would obviously be the easiest way to do it I'm just concerned that I would fuck up my mobo or something (However, the HDD uses the same 4-pin molex interface that modern HDD's do), or that my modern hardware would fry the 10 yr old hard drive disk.

Anyone else have any experience with data recovery from old ass machines from 1994?
    Last edited by Subjugation; 05-12-2006, 10:45 PM.

as long as you can plug it in youll be able to find a prog to view\copy files. google it
    Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
    1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
    Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
    caco <ER>> )Oo
    caco <ER>> bot thief!
    caco <ER>> duel me for it
    Evasive <E> no!
    Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Ok, I think the game plan is to hook it up as a slave, then try and write the pertinent files to CD via Windows Explorer. I'm just wondering how to set the jumpers on the HDD, tho. :/

Comment

Since it is an older drive you'll probably have to set your main one onto master and the other one of course to slave, where exactly the jumpers go depends on the drives themselves and it should say where to put it for what you want on the drive.
        If that doesn't work try putting your master on cable select, and the old drive on slave still. You may have to take out your master drive in order to be able to even see where it says all the jumper settings.
        sage

Comment

Originally posted by Subjugation
          Ok, I think the game plan is to hook it up as a slave, then try and write the pertinent files to CD via Windows Explorer. I'm just wondering how to set the jumpers on the HDD, tho. :/
          Cable select maybe?

Comment

Cool, thanks guys.

I set the jumper to slave, and just booted normally. I was able to access the files---as well as the W97M.Marker virus that had infected his Word docs. I guess that explains why he was having such a hard time with his PC.

Anyway, saved the relevant files to CD, thanks again for the help.

Comment

you're welcome.
              help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

wow, duel pasta, you should do stand-up

Comment

glad it worked out
                  Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                  1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                  Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                  caco <ER>> )Oo
                  caco <ER>> bot thief!
                  caco <ER>> duel me for it
                  Evasive <E> no!
                  Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                    wow, duel pasta, you should do stand-up
                    He just said Your Welcome as presenting the entire TW-community ^-^

Comment

Working...
                    X