Buy or build a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy or build a computer?

I was just wondering which would be better and cheaper....
    Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. it's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.:fear:

build most expensive thing is usually windows LOL buy ive got a copy of XP PRO with a corporate cd key

but build it, the reason i like to build mine is i get exactly what i want and its not full of bullshit programs like a bought one

Comment

Bought computers suck.

Comment

Buying a prebuilt PC is just easier.

If you build your own it will ALWAYS be better* and for cheaper.

*DISCLAIMER: Aslong as you have a f*ck*ng clue.
        Hello Denon it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several days, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Comment

Someone looking to evade their ban again?

Huzzah
          FrozenSand> have you ever put a coke bottle in your butt?
          Mira.Girio> I don't think I've ever experimented with coke products. >.>
          FrozenSand> oh you're a pepsi guy?

captain Ky> will the guy with the AOL add banner please insert his head up hiw on ass till he dissapears from our universe entirely. Thank you.

RuBbEr BoMb> woot hellkite parked in fr like my wife
          Burzum> meaning what
          Burzum> took him 4 minutes to get in?
          RuBbEr BoMb> meaning he aimed for flag and ended up on roof

Comment

Originally posted by Denon View Post
            Buying a prebuilt PC is just easier.

If you build your own it will ALWAYS be better* and for cheaper.

*DISCLAIMER: Aslong as you have a f*ck*ng clue.
            i'd like to build my new one, but as you said, i have no "f*ck*ng" clue
            (Everett)>TOASTY had been promoted from rookie to decent player. Salary increased (+ $1.1 Million US/Year)
            (TOASTY)>Everett has been promoted from immigrant to bad English speaker. Salary increased (+ Minimum Wage US/Year)

2:Refund> whatup ev
            2:Everett> good

Comment

The only advantage of buying a prebuilt PC is not having to spend a fuckload of money on software. If acquiring software isn't a problem for you, then by all means, you most definitely should build it yourself.

Down the road, when you need to upgrade your system (whether it's CPU, Video Card, RAM...etc), that's when the money savings actually starts to make a difference. And you will know exactly what brand RAM, mobo or PSU you have, so searching the web for incompatible hardware schemes isn't an issue.

If you build it yourself, it's natural to want to buy a cheap, plastic tower instead of a nice, strong Lian-Li case---since the price difference can be as much as $100 dollars. Trust me, just spend the extra money on a Lian-Li case. It will last forever if you take care of it, and anytime you need to open up your PC to work on it, you will be so glad you spent the extra cash. I got the PC-60 and with ultra-convenient features like all-thumbscrew design and a slide-out mobo tray, changing your video card, or upgrading your DVD-Burner or CPU is as easy as pie.

Comment

I disagree with the whole "spend loads on a good case thing", at least for the whole convenience to upgrade thing. In my opinion, spending an extra $100 on a convenience which you'll see not too often (let's face it, it's not like you upgrade a component every week). is not worth it. My case was about $25, it has thumbscrews and even an LCD screen with temperature sensors and I am perfectly happy with it.

Regarding the question buy or build:

Buying:
                You'll typically get good tech support
                You know everything will be put together well (unless you buy it from some shitty dealer) and it will work
                It'll simply be a case of the computer arriving and you plugging in the relevant chords.
                BUT
                Most PCs you buy prebuilt will come with a ton of shitty software that slows the whole thing down.
                You'll pay a little bit more

Building:
                You know EXACTLY what components you're putting in your PC.
                You can customise it exactly to your needs.
                Will typically be cheaper than a prebuilt one.
                The first run will be clean, Windows will be installed and nothing else
                BUT
                You need to know what you're doing. Either have built/upgraded PCs a lot before, or at least have a friend with the know-how.
                Troubleshooting can be a bitch if you have a problem when you're first setting up (Don't forget to put on the spacers for your motherboard!)
                Tech support/warranty will be component specific
                Takes a lot longer to set up
                You'll have to buy Windows (it's really not that much for an OEM version)

Personally, I'd recomend building. It REALLY depends on whether you believe you (and a friend if applicable) can put a working PC together, and don't mind spending a few hours doing so.
                USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                ---A few minutes later---
                9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                9:Kim> UM
                9:Kim> i didn't
                9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                9:pascone> lol?

Comment

i've been using the same antec case since 1999

booyah
                  jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Agree with Ewan's good summary-

Buying: customer service and a warranty on the complete package, it's easy, SW will be cheaper

Building: more control, cheaper

Personally I think the warranty and ease of buying is worth it. A couple possible exceptions:

1) you need specific things not available (like building a DVR)
                    2) high end machines or really stripped down I think you might be able to save more

Comment

ive been thinking about building my own... mainly for the lack of preloaded software and control over what i want...

id like to be able to run some of the analysis stuff that i use a bit faster than i do now... i dont need the powerhouse of a computer like i use at work, but id like a bit more than a hamster in a wheel

not counting the software or additional hardware such as a monitor, speakers, keyboard etc... if i wanted to spend between about 1000 dollars on a computer... how nice of a computer? with decent warranties and such...

and now for giggles, how much of a beast could i make if i wanted to spend a couple thousand and then some?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

you guys build ur own computers...??? sigh all that hardware is confusing
                        4:BigKing> xD
                        4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                        4:BigKing> what did i do???
                        4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                        4:BigKing> ???? why though
                        4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

not really

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                            not really
                            shut up burnout
                            4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                            4:BigKing> what did i do???
                            4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                            4:BigKing> ???? why though
                            4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

LOL maybe you should smoke some weed, MAYBE IT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER OR AT LEAST GIVE YOU SOME COMMON SENSE

Comment

Working...
                              X