No announcement yet.

TWD ops are the worst staffers in subspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I helped with a few things. Donated the $150, when you guys needed it.
    (Which is not alot, when you count that a MMORPG costs at least $10 a month) Most of you can miss the $5. 700 players x $5 is $3500. =P

Some people just whine, cause want they want to relax, be cool or whatever.
    I really don't mind about that stuff. As long as it ain't towards us, while we work our asses off.
    Light is faster than sound. That is why people look bright, until you hear them.

Comment

Leagues would be a shit load more efficient if there were competent staffers who knew how to host (MANUALLY). Write down scores, e-mail them another guy, he posts that shit in HTML on a website. Bam. All this trouble to make bots fucking warp players to a pinpoint coord and automatically send the amount of times the terr warped (with or without port) to a systematic website that calculates the terr's rating based on some bs formula is all pathetic. The leagues are supposed to be about the competition, not the stats.

EA sports. It's in the game.

Edit:

And another thing, you should know what you're getting into by accepting a staff position. Ask any ex-staffer, and they'll tell you its rewardless. So don't pull the "its a free game give me a break" bs, either do the job you willingly volunteered to do or pass on the reigns.
      Last edited by Project; 04-15-2004, 04:00 AM.
      1:koan> indy is like being skinny and liking weird music
      1:tRICERATOPS> just a bunhc of faggots is all being indy is
      1:koan> we cant talk about this infront of castro
      1:koan> he's going to see this and be like WTFZ im a skinny vegeterian white dude with selective music tastes

Comment

First they want things to be better, then they want to have it quicker, then they want things to be better, then they want to have it quicker.

Hey, don't see some weird spiral here? Going downwards too?
        Hmm, I wonder why.
        Light is faster than sound. That is why people look bright, until you hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by WiseCherub
          like Mr.Extend (Continuum GUI developer) and Gremliner (ASSS developer).
          Heh, I believe you mean Mr. Ekted and Grelminar. ;]

Anyone interested in any kind of dev work for SS should check out LINK! ---> MGB's forums <--- LINK!.
          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Project
            Leagues would be a shit load more efficient if there were competent staffers who knew how to host (MANUALLY). Write down scores, e-mail them another guy, he posts that shit in HTML on a website. Bam. All this trouble to make bots fucking warp players to a pinpoint coord and automatically send the amount of times the terr warped (with or without port) to a systematic website that calculates the terr's rating based on some bs formula is all pathetic. The leagues are supposed to be about the competition, not the stats.
            I'm not going to argue about this if you are talking about TWL. But if it's about TWD then I think you're clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by BLeeN
              First they want things to be better, then they want to have it quicker, then they want things to be better, then they want to have it quicker.

Hey, don't see some weird spiral here? Going downwards too?
              Hmm, I wonder why.
              Because no one can be happy with what they have and be glad they have the it at all?
              1:Warthog> IMPORTANT NEWS: Big changes on the way in TWD! Bots now die in only 30 minute incriments!

7:Ikrit> hrm, I think my stepsister and her boyfriend are having sex atm
              7:Ikrit> sounded like headboard of the bed was hitting wall repeatedly lol
              7:Demystify <ZH>> lol @ ikrit
              7:Demystify <ZH>> walk in the room
              7:Ikrit> lol!
              7:Ikrit> she locked the door :-X

The only place SUCCESS comes before WORK is in the dicitionary

Comment

Bween is my hewo.
                Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
                i just wish it was longer
                Originally posted by Cops
                it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

Somebody close this thread please.
                  Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

They'll get back to you in six months on that one.
                    Jacklyn> i'm not here right now, leave ur phone number address and directions to your house, where you keep your money and what time youre not home and i will get Right back to you

Comment

Originally posted by Project

EA sports. It's in the game.

Edit:

And another thing, you should know what you're getting into by accepting a staff position. Ask any ex-staffer, and they'll tell you its rewardless. So don't pull the "its a free game give me a break" bs, either do the job you willingly volunteered to do or pass on the reigns.
                      How bout the "It's a free game and all you're doing is complaining, which makes you less than worthless at getting shit done" position. You can start talking the moment you drop 2.5 seconds of your time into doing something other than constantly bitching. It's one thing to complain when other people aren't doing their part and you are, it's completely different when "your part" consists of leeching off everything else other people do and then whining when the flow miraculously stops.

Before we go on lets clear up a few myths:
                      1.)TWL _WAS NOT_ run smoother before the bots. Good lord there were problems. HUGE problems. ESPECIALLY TWLB. You're living in a fantasy land if you think otherwise. The automation has removed dozens of points where human error could ruin matches. Yes it has introduces some new errors, but on the whole there are far fewer issues.

2.) There are not a hundred thousand competent people hungrily waiting in the wings to swoop down and carry TWD on when one of the current bot staff or league ops resigns or becomes overwhelmed with other things. The big problem is, the people who can work on this shit are getting better offer for their time by, say, employers? Pass on the reigns eh? Can we pass them on to you? No, the job is thankless, right? Well shit son what the hell are we going to do now?

Yes I'm quoting proj, but this is directed at a bunch of people. Until you all decide to pitch in shut the fuck up. You can put in time, you can donate money I don't care, but until you do something you are not entitled to whining privileges. Those are earned shitbrick. The staff job is thankless because of people like you, not because it has to be.

Comment

Thanks for the Link Jason, I'll check it out soon, might help me out some. Geez your name rings a bell, I seen you frequent on SS central developer forums too.

Comment

in response to wadi.

1) there are probably less problems, but do we really need the bots to become so sophisticated that getting stats updated on a website is one of your (since you'll scorn me if I say 'our') top priorities? like wisecherub said, haste makes waste. there have been too many features added to the bot before fundamental flaws have been fixed from the last go around. for example, the re-installation of the bot pming you with a changed rating before fixing the sub-death bug.

2) to become staff and not know it is a thankless position, regardless of whether it is because of the players or simply the demand required of the job, is ridiculous. don't bite off what you can't chew. if you can't handle the time requirements, don't have the desire, getting better job offers from IBM or whatever, then don't take on the responsibility. that's like accepting the presidency and taking a day off from your affairs because there is too much pressure. wtf did you think was going to happen. and why do you think there is a lack of competent people waiting to step up and help out? because they can't. not everybody is a coder, and not everybody can just pick it up within a month or even two months. no, they can't work on the bot core because only 50 people have been granted access to it. but guess what they could be doing! learning how to host manually. this takes no special skill, no years of training in collegiate level courses. just willpower, a little time to learn the ropes, and a level head on your shoulders. and isn't this the job of an ER? Shouldn't this be what we are training ER's to do? (Push mentioned something about a full fledged training program, designed to make staffers competent in hosting etc. within a month of recruitment. thank god)

but why the fuck should i care. my opinion doesn't matter because i have absolutely no connection to the running of TWL or TWD. and what can i do to contribute? spend my time coding? I don't know shit about coding. donate money? lol yeah that will help TWL come faster and be more efficient. or should i spend the money on a better connection so that the coders have to debate less about whether 3.1% slowploss is too high or too low. well guess what my friend, all i have to offer is my opinion.

id write more, but my opinion is worthless anyways since i can't contribute, I'm simply affected by the results.

and mythrandir:

yeah this was regarding TWL. but if im not mistaken, twd was developed as a stay between TWL's, just something to satiate the appetite between more organized competition, not a league in and of itself.
                          1:koan> indy is like being skinny and liking weird music
                          1:tRICERATOPS> just a bunhc of faggots is all being indy is
                          1:koan> we cant talk about this infront of castro
                          1:koan> he's going to see this and be like WTFZ im a skinny vegeterian white dude with selective music tastes

Comment

Originally posted by Mattey
                            It takes 6 months for anything to get done. Fire all of them.
                            I don't think so, twd ops doing hell of a job they MADE twdd,JD,BD and about the programming, I think whe don't need anything else then what whe know have as bots, i love DD and who do you think who made it, yes, TWD OPS and i'm sure if you message them or if you talk to them they will answer. like Rob Dougan doesn't he answer if you ask him something, yes he does, doesn't mythrandir answer if you pm him, yes he does
                            help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

Working...
                            X