No announcement yet.

Suggestion: Migrate all the twd bots into one arena for TWDD, TWJD, and TWBD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Migrate all the twd bots into one arena for TWDD, TWJD, and TWBD

When a game starts in any twd arena, players in spec tend to watch the match rather than starting their own game. I see two potential fixes to get more games going:

1. Create an arena with 1 of each wb, jav, and basing map in it (Possibly in ?go twd and a duplicate in ?go twd2).

2. Duplicate game maps in twdd, twjd, and twbd so that no 2nd or 3rd arenas are needed. So for example, you could consolidate go twjd, go twjd2, and go twjd3 into one map so that multiple JD's can go on at the same time. Repeat for base and wb. Note: the wb map would likely only fit two TWDD game maps in it.

Personally a bigger fan of option 1 so that we wouldn't need to switch arenas every 20 minutes to follow what's going on and everyone can just chill in one place. Already made the map BIET and included a screenshot below for anyone who wants to give their input.
    Attached Files
    Mythril> when i met ease in 2001 he was a gameboy
    Shaw> it was sad steadman. ppl were saying morph was the best jav and stuff. sad times without you here
    mcvicar> the last time ease spoke to me is when he said fart and then claus said "Fart it is."
    Mythril> stead was wishing covid 14 on ppl back in the day

Jessup> I was beat up by a dwarf once

I like this
    It will probably increase multi ship talent making tw more competitive and also keeps activity up..

Conceptually I like the idea..
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by ag$; 09-25-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

seems like unnecessary work.
      but if it happened I would want it to have no res limit and if twd doesn't have res limit then leagues shouldn't either.

Comment

i support this idea.

this would have a similar effect as when HZ combined their Pub and Scrim arenas into one, fostering a greater sense of community and surely providing a boon to overall activity and population.

and to Rab: subspace was designed with 1280 res in mind, the radar was designed for 1280, and TW settings were designed in 1280. noone is shedding tears over the fact that it may be awkward for u to play a game from 1995 on a 2020 monitor the size of a TV

The Mind of the Father
        Riding on the subtle guiders
        Which glitter with the inflexible tracings
        Of relentless Fire

Comment

I like the idea but there's a lot to think about in terms of execution.

What happens if one twdd wants a blueout but the twbd doesn't? What happens when a twdd bot *scoreresets the twbd players at the start of a match?

There would definitely be a shit ton of dev work to go into this and a lot of wrinkles to iron out, but that's not a reason to not to do something. Just need to think about it in context.
          Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
          Message has been sent to online moderators
          2:BLeeN> veh yes
          (Overstrand)>no
          2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
          2:BLeeN> ok then no
          :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
          (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Originally posted by Vehicle View Post

What happens if one twdd wants a blueout but the twbd doesn't?
            blueout is cancerous and bad for community. esc + f5 if your puny mind is unable to handle chatting during the game. i will again evoke HZ - blueout is never used, not even for RSHL playoffs. other zones are similar. consider why.

What happens when a twdd bot *scoreresets the twbd players at the start of a match?
            it doesnt. it resets scores individually as necessary.

The Mind of the Father
            Of relentless Fire

Comment

Nice job Stead. Hope they do something with this
              J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
              8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

this would be sweet
                zidane> big play
                Omega Red> dwop sick
                mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

Originally posted by Vehicle View Post

What happens if one twdd wants a blueout but the twbd doesn't?
                  Vehicle Good point! You would lose the ability to blueout but most don't people don't use it and it's not necessary for casual games
                  Mythril> when i met ease in 2001 he was a gameboy
                  Shaw> it was sad steadman. ppl were saying morph was the best jav and stuff. sad times without you here
                  mcvicar> the last time ease spoke to me is when he said fart and then claus said "Fart it is."
                  Mythril> stead was wishing covid 14 on ppl back in the day

Jessup> I was beat up by a dwarf once

Comment

While I am not against the idea, I feel like this would be a lot more work required than it looks, for little reward.
                    rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                    rEnZi> its crazy
                    rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

it would likely result in a significant boost to population and activity across all leagues and is certainly worth the effort

The Mind of the Father
                      Of relentless Fire

Comment

We've discussed this years ago, but more so on the topic of combining TWD arenas with Pub. The opportunity now to implement this would be better than ever as our past discussions were before player borrowing was even brought up. Would make Red_X happy. Also, could have a Pubbux reward system for MVP and the winning team. That would help any future 2v2 tournaments involving an entry fee.

Comment

It's a good idea but quite brutal from a bot coding standpoint. I vetted it as a possibility a few years back and decided against it. Even if it were to be done, it would very likely be a bug-ridden mess for months or possibly years.

Basically, for it to work with the bots as they are (rather than completely reprogramming MatchBot, one of our oldest and most complicated bots), you'd need to fool the system so it thinks that some people are in the arena and some aren't. So much depends on the bot thinking that everyone who's in the arena is part of the game. So for example, a death event occurs and the bot assumes that's part of its game, but would need to toss it out if it weren't part of its "virtual arena".
                          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

I had proposed something similar a few years back but it wasn't about TWD - the idea was to make pub into something similar, where you have a ?go javs map, a ?go base map, a ?go elim map all within the same arena and working simultaneously, keeping people bouncing around and more engaged and less likely to log off. It already has a little of that going on with the dueling subgame in pub, so I figured if we could keep people together as much as possible, it would sort of stop people from losing interest as quickly and keep a higher population.

Anyway, pub is way too cancerous to support that at this point, but the general idea of it really is a great one. We probably don't realize how often people login to see what appears to be a graveyard of a zone/game, only to immediately log out.
                            7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                            Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                            TWLJ Champion Season 11
                            TWLB All-Star Season 10
                            Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Would there be added latency from having additional tiles, ships, bots all piled into one arena? I haven't heard of any issues with the pub/dueling setup. I cannot speak from experience on this but am asking because I recall for one arena discussion it had come up. I believe there were some concerns around lag.
                              I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X