Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming a simple ELO rating system

deleted
    Last edited by saiyan; 10-17-2022, 01:44 PM.

I suppose with an ELO system similar to this one we would need to switch to one round matches or alternatively have it adjust player ratings after completion of each round. Imagine playing only one round, winning it, then having to leave and your team loses the other two rounds.

Nevertheless I agree that the capability to consistently win and close out games is far more important than pulling off impressive scores. I wouldn't mind something like this granted it probably still needs some number tweaking.

Comment

Yep, a simple W/L team-based Elo system (similar to what happens with TWD squads already) would be enough. The problems come in when humans try to guess at rating based on performance. In the end, consistent wins are the only thing that actually matter. Straight Elo shows your truest form of skill: whether, on average (regardless of team), you win more than you lose. Not whether you made a brilliant play that almost won. If you win the battle and lose the war, you've still lost the war.

Your sub solution seems mathematically sound. From a cursory read I'm not certain I can say people wouldn't find a way to game it, but it would definitely be worth a try.

With a rating based on actual Elo it's not difficult to create balanced teams automatically once enough games have been played. Even with a small population, run it long enough and you'll get increasingly balanced teams.

As this continues, eventually everyone enters "Elo hell" at which point their rating floats around the same small range because the system has accurately rated their level of skill. Once this happens, the season usually resets so that people can once again enjoy the fun of having their skill level slowly and accurately assessed over time. The algo abides.

Most modern games employ qualification rounds. In these, you're pitted against other people also in their qualifying rounds. Basically, your rating moves in much larger increments at this time, as you're slowly assigned a very rough initial approximation of your skill level. Ideally, qual game #1 players play other #1s, #2s play #2s, etc. With a small population that's probably not possible, but at least having 5 (or even 3) quals where all play all would help place people more accurately early on.

We've talked about doing this many times over the past few years. Mostly manpower is the issue. It's a serious project, but it could also be the one that carries TW for the next 5 years.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

This is a replica of what some people built in SVS Chaos League. It keeps that small population going, and it incentives playing the game to team, target players, etc. With a faster paced TW, it would be great.

We've seen this work elsewhere (Chaos). I see that meaning as more likely to work here.

Good shit with numbers break down, I think it helps with feasibility of the project, even if its larger scale. I think a lot of us would want something like this. I know I would. The way stats are recorded now encourages players to hold on to their lives recklessly, instead of doing what their team needs at that time (killing players with higher deaths).

Comment

Saiyan, you should get this going in wbduel and javduel. People would eat it up
          3:Steadman> ive been a leader in every league of legends and basketball game ive ever played in

Comment

Make this a reality and I might even play again just to see people's ratings. It's the only new thing I have seen proposed in probably 10 years.
            RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
            RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

def down to test this out in wbduel/javduel if its doable
              1:Riverside> you guys eat schmores in america?

Comment

Necro bump

~+1~
                rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                rEnZi> its crazy
                rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

If this stops stackers from thinking they're good, I'm all for it.

...we are all guilty..

Comment

Working...
                  X