Basing should be more popular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basing should be more popular

Come on guys. Basing is a lot of fun, but it's getting pretty damn boring playing the same squads over and over again. 90% of the BDs I play in Spastic are against either Anti-Scrub or Rejected Basers. It's just ridiculous that in prime times, there can be around 600 people online, yet NO squads with 8 people online that want to play a TWBD game.

What the fuck is wrong? Basing needs to be promoted more I guess. ?go base is not a newbie-friendly place, and I think we need to introduce a persistant base-type game for the masses.

This is a post I made a while ago, and I want to bring it up again because I truly think it's a really good idea:

I've said this before, but bringing a game bot into a pub or two would really improve the zone as a whole;

Basically, a ?go base type game in pub that allows for 17vs17 (34 players+bot=35 people in arena) teams, with no captain needed so that people can switch ships as they please. There would be 2 freqs. Both teams have to fight over the flag, and the first team to hold it for 10 minutes would win. The incentive to win would be that the winning team get's some kind of points prize. The prize the player got could be based on the particular player's time played in that match, his performance- kills/deaths/stats etc. The bot could reset a players stats for that game if he switched freqs, which would deter people from freq hopping to the winning team just as they are going to win, as they would get essentially no reward since they had been on the winning freq for such a short amount of time.

This would be a great place for casual pubbers and even more hardcore players to play in. It would introduce a lot of new people to the basing aspect of TrenchWars, and would really give a much needed boost to the basing community and would improve TW as a whole.

Of course we could still keep a majority of the pubs as regular arenas to screw around, levterr, spawn people etc, but I think a lot of people would love an addition to TW like this.
    Maybe it would work better with a captain or a few changes, but you get the general idea.

Basing needs to be more popular.
    sdg

For the record, I think basing was better when it was less popular. I think ?go base fucked up basing bigtime.

However, it is mid-season, nobody can find games, get over it.

Comment

There is probably a 50:1 ratio of WB/Jav games played to base games played. Let's also not forget the fact that TWLB was dropped down to 14 squads this past season, and by the looks of it will be dropped lower again, while TWDD/TWJD are more popular than ever. There is a pretty obvious reason for this trend.

It is easy for a new and unknown player to get into warbirds or javs to practice and get better; you can hit elim/belim or one of the wbduel/javduel arenas and jump right in. As for the basing community, it is almost impossible. The ONLY practical way a fresh, new person can get into basing is through ?go base which is a very elitist and close-minded community; the captains will, 95% of the time, pick ONLY people that they have seen before and know will perform. No one has to give you permission to play elim or belim. To play base, you basically have to be lucky and be there at the right time, or have someone feel sorry enough for you that they pick you out of pity.

Some might argue that the draft tourny and BWC cup help promote basing. This is hardly true. The chance that a new player is going to sign up and be able to play in BWC, let alone HEAR about it, is slim to none.

The base community is slowly curling up and dying. Javs and WBs continue to grow while the base community is dying and getting pretty damn stale.

I urge the TW staff to at least consider the idea I mentioned in my first post. With a few changes and some staff insight, I really think it would help bring some life into the Trench Wars basing community again.
      sdg

Comment

I know Basing isn't the most popular and is slowly dying it is also midseason. Me and a lot of people are going to be inactive lot more then usual just because work/schooling/real life. I personally consider Fall season to be my most time consuming. I have work and schooling so budgeting my time wisely is a must. I then have a lot less time to play Subspace. And subspace is the last thing on my list. But I am sure in December when it snows in America/Canada(probaly snowing now) you will see a increase of matches.

Comment

7: Pure_Luck> only a-s and rb base
          7: Pure_Luck> the rest are fakers
          i think that enough ppl base or play bd.

PL can be funny sometimes <3
          Originally posted by Kolar
          My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
          ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

I'd love to get into TWLB, all I've ever done is Pub (usually Pure Pub). Pub is usually just frustrating.

I just checked out ?go base and was pretty much ignored.
            Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V
              I'd love to get into TWLB, all I've ever done is Pub (usually Pure Pub). Pub is usually just frustrating.

I just checked out ?go base and was pretty much ignored.
              join quirion or a newby base squad
              What maneuver could possibly be smoover?

Comment

Basing is still very popular. Guano and Dockbot pubs are always full and in non-pure pubs the majority of people still base. But ?go base, the supposed gateway to basing, is shite. Who wants to hang around in spec just to try to play? Who wants to hang around in spec only to play in a ship they don't really wont to play in? Who wants to do any of this just so they can base with the same old handful of faces 24/7?

Your pubbot idea stabwound is/was a very good one. As was the idea arrogance had a while back to make basing more interesting and accessible. Where do new basing squads play? It's not in ?go base as you can't play as a squad. It's partly in twbds but you're not going to be able to spend that much time doing that, so you play in pub which is ok but not great.

Some change to pubs along these lines would be very good but I doubt it will happen, at least not while there's important weasel settings to be fiddled with. Basing is a bit like TW forums, there are those who do it, those who are too new to do it, and there's a third group who take one look and say yeah right fuck that.

Comment

hey guys, i came from being a relative nobody, to having a few people know me, just stick with it. i did wb dueling for a good while, and eventually the game got stale, i always too basing as like a joke league, i didnt really acknowledge it. But then i just saw so many people in ?go base, and decided that i would show up there and try to learn some ships. I talked to people, and eventually joined the newby squads or whatever, and played played played. I learned the techniques, and then progressed to a better squad. I was kinda like a sponge, just learned everything i could, and then moved on. Now, i dont relaly sit a ?go base game, and i wouldnt same im an awesome shark, but decent. And i've only been basing a few months, but its fun as hell.
                  What maneuver could possibly be smoover?

Comment

Maybe the lack of interest has to do with the fact that TWLB is very elitist.

The twl ops (in their infinite wisdom), have already lowered the number of squads that get in. Further, if they are indeed lowering it again, well whoop-dee-do, 12 squads get in. . .

What is the point in a beginner squad going in to basing when it will just have to play the TWL caliber ones and get destroyed every time?

Basing has a much steeper learning curve in that it requires more people to play, everybody to specialize in a specific ship, and teamwork.

Further, the people who play in dd and jd are the people who play in elim and baseelim. TWBD has no similar arena save the pubs - and the people in the pub arenas are usually the ones who care least about leagues.

If you want to encourage TWBD, get off your high horse and go play in pub, go get to know the people in pub and, heaven forbid, recruit the people in pub.

For instance, a warbird squad recruits people from the equivilant of public arenas in Trench Wars: Elim. This gives the people in elim incentive to be interested. See where I'm going with this?

The problem doesn't lie in that enough people aren't interested in basing (I don't think). It lies, instead, in that the basing community is very exclusive imo. Fourteen squads get to go into the league, 16 players get to play the "official" practice arena and, no matter what, the community will always talk about the same players as the best in Trench Wars, even if they were last seen more than 10 days ago.
                    Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
                    Philos> there is something about you
                    Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Basing and dueling are equally elitest imo. And imo, there are more nice basers than nice duelers (to put it in a more positive light).

Comment

Originally posted by Randedl
                        Maybe the lack of interest has to do with the fact that TWLB is very elitist

Further, the people who play in dd and jd are the people who play in elim and baseelim. TWBD has no similar arena save the pubs - and the people in the pub arenas are usually the ones who care least about leagues.

If you want to encourage TWBD, get off your high horse and go play in pub, go get to know the people in pub and, heaven forbid, recruit the people in pub.

For instance, a warbird squad recruits people from the equivilant of public arenas in Trench Wars: Elim. This gives the people in elim incentive to be interested. See where I'm going with this?

The problem doesn't lie in that enough people aren't interested in basing (I don't think). It lies, instead, in that the basing community is very exclusive imo. Fourteen squads get to go into the league, 16 players get to play the "official" practice arena and, no matter what, the community will always talk about the same players as the best in Trench Wars, even if they were last seen more than 10 days ago.
                        Did you read my post at all? This is pretty much exactly what I said. What I am suggesting is the base equivelent of elim or baseelim, an organized time-based flagging game in a pub that lets anyone play as they please. Pure pub is not real basing, and people who play solely pure pub really don't know how to base correctly.

If we gave people a base equivilent to elims, and enforced the general rules of basing (limited sharks, javs, no levs, etc) people would get the idea of how to play real basing, and would really give people a chance to get into TWBD/TWLB etc.
                        sdg

Comment

Stab I disagree with you on this one.

I've been thinking the exact opposite. I'm finding myself not bothering to play ?go base because it's too easy (not trying to sound arrogant but it's true). I would rather revert back to having private games for top TWLB players only.

You said ?go base is elitist, it used to be, but now there are so many new guys in there - they outnumber the good basers. Now I realise the point of ?go base was to get more players interested in basing, however, by getting those new players you've made it crap for some of us leet uber vets $

I would like to see 2 base arenas. One open to all, and one with some sensible limit. I'd start working around something like 1000 hours.

I know my idea isnt very practical, but like i said, ?go base is boringly easy - do something about it !

Comment

basing isnt fun, it leaves no room for creativity....none!
                            its the same thing over and over again... cram,... cram, .... cram! and try to break cram
                            javs however, leave the most room for creativity and fun imho and im amazed at how unpopular it is compared to the other 2 leagues.
                            wbs are obviously the most popular, because it has the most history and elim is actually practice for dd's, whereas baseelim is NOT practice for jd's.
                            i dont see this changing in the near future.... basing is boring, its for the uncreative.
                            javs should get more people but for some reason it doesnt and wbs will likely always have the most people..

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                              Did you read my post at all? This is pretty much exactly what I said. What I am suggesting is the base equivelent of elim or baseelim, an organized time-based flagging game in a pub that lets anyone play as they please. Pure pub is not real basing, and people who play solely pure pub really don't know how to base correctly.

If we gave people a base equivilent to elims, and enforced the general rules of basing (limited sharks, javs, no levs, etc) people would get the idea of how to play real basing, and would really give people a chance to get into TWBD/TWLB etc.
                              this was tried in ?go basing. . .
                              Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
                              Philos> there is something about you
                              Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

Working...
                              X