Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we raise resolution limits in TWDD/TWJD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol@thinking there are no advantages with greater resolution in javelins
    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Great, now i can uninstall ss since i will get outressed just like in chaos/league.
      2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
      2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
      2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

lol @ jones thinking that there are advantages of having a higher resolution in javelin. only thing i can think of is a better reaction time for strays (which are easily dodgeable by a resolution equal or higher to 1024x768), and that's it.

Comment

twl limits would remain at 1440x1024 (which is a fucking odd resolution in the first place and should be removed in basing and javelin) anyways, and twl is only thing that matters right? if you want to "practice for TWL" then just use 1440x1024 or lower resolution in TWD, as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
            only thing i can think of is a better reaction time for strays (which are easily dodgeable by a resolution equal or higher to 1024x768), and that's it.
            which is precisely why you probably should stop talking right now
            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

.. and this is why you should stop talking as well. i know how javelin works, i have played it way too much in my life (yes, i'm a fucking nerd) and know everything there is to know about that damn ship. over 95% of the kills are done within "close range" which is around ~600-800 pixels and only a very small percentage (below 3%) are done from a distance above 1200 pixels of which over half would be easily dodgeable on any resolution above 800x600 if one has an average reaction time and doesn't suck in the ship. i am not saying that i am a good javelin, as that's bullshit. however, i have the experience and knowledge to talk and have played way too much for my own good.

i bet you don't even know how much damage the bullets do or how big the bomb radius is, but not like i'm expecting a one league wonder to know shit like that. you should not talk about javelin/basing when you don't even play those leagues (and when you do, you're average at best).

keep the resolution limit in twdd, i don't care either way. i can play that league just fine even with 1280x986 and would not bother to increase the resolution even if it was lifted.

in twjd higher resolution does not matter the slightest bit, just like it doesn't in twbd.

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                Also lets not forget by raising these limits constantly higher you are basically destroying an entire group of players warbirding style IE rushing. It is going to turn every game into a stray fest, it is going to be boring, extremely long games, and is going to nerf a warbirding style that lots of people have been using since they started twdding for the last 6-7 years. It would be like making the resolution limit 800x600 and then telling all the strayers to fuck off. You really need to think about the consequences of decisions and ideas like this before you do them, be a big picture thinker instead of listening to a rowdy minority who haven't played that game long enough to understand what true balance is.
                On the contrary, raising warbird limits to something like 1600x1200 will cease the current high-end competitive TWL playstyle of team straying using the radar until one of the teams gets bored/reckless enough to fall behind, by allowing a bit more leniency on dodging 'radar strays', while maintaining the resolution limits WITHIN the boundaries of the radar scope (1600x1200 does not go beyond it), effectively maintaining the same limit at which you could logically aim at a player. This would allow squads to actually begin developing fresh coordinated strategies in order to dominate the competitive field, with rushing still being as big an option as ever. Clearly you've never played 1600x1200 res and seen how easy it is to get rushed if it's done correctly. Not that it really matters, I can assure you no serious TWL playoff match involves any form of rushing until a win is more or less secured..and any such attempted premature rushing results in the team getting strayed/swarmed, causing a quick loss for the reckless team.
                Trench Wars' # 1 Solo WB

TWEL WB Season 1 '03 Champ
                1st Annual WB Tournament '04 Champ
                2nd Annual WB Tournament '05 Champ
                Elim King '03-'11

Sirius> Raspi I want to explore this fetish of yours
                Raspi> AAAHHH THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING!!!! sirius> finally... raspi> unhhhhhunhunh

Comment

Turban's figures should all be cut in half; i think he meant less than 3% are beyond the edge of his screen (and since ship is in the center, half of ~1200 is more like 600). I disagree with you anyway about javs; people with slower reaction times would end up putting more of a fight imo, because they'd have more time to react to strays/enemy movement on screen. I'd still rather have the increased resolution, though, because I like a challenge.

As far as WB is concerned I'd love for midrange fights to be extended out to 600-1000 pixels. I don't think it will kill rushing (I still get rushed in wbduel and elim playing on 1920x1200), but rather introduce a more prominent midrange element into the game.

Edit: Oh, and I agree with Sirius' entire post AND Jones' point that if you don't plan on matching the increase for TWL then don't even bother.

Edit 2: Sweet new editing tool; thumbs up to whoever upgraded from the old crappy forum architecture.
                  -Dave

Comment

Im inclined to agree with Foreign...
                    Displaced> I get pussy every day
                    Displaced> I'm rich
                    Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                    Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                    Thors> prolly
                    Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

I don't know if I can put this anymore simpler, but this zone's warbird settings are designed for a restricted resolution, so of course it will have most effect on TWDD and TWL-D. Rushing won't stop but it will be easier to back off from a rush for people with huge res. Strays will not be a big factor anymore for huge res, radaring won't be needed as you can just hang around where smaller res people can't see you. Overall it will require less skills to stay alive in a WB with almost twice as bigger res. If you're going to change resolutions you will have to make it the same in every league.

EDIT:
                      1920x1200 is 2,93 times 1024x768
                      1920x1200 is 2,25 times 1280x800
                      1920x1200 is 1,78 times 1440x900
                      1920x1200 is 1,75 times 1280x1024

EDIT2:
                      Actually, does 1920x1200 even go beyond the same radar that we see on every resolution? So would these guys see me even if I can't see them on my radar?
                      Last edited by Ara; 06-21-2010, 04:50 AM.
                      Ara / AraGee / Death
                      SSCU Trench Wars Player since 1999
                      SSCU Trench Wars Staff since 2001
                      TWDL, TWL-B, TWL-D, TWL-J, TWDT-J Champion
                      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                        twl limits would remain at 1440x1024
                        wrong

hopefully people will give humid some feedback during twdt, i won't be around to listen to it and learn from it since i'm showing vys how to properly quit the game but it really shouldn't be much of an issue as i didn't hear any complaints about the compromise that i worked out last season (1440x900 was allowed simply to accommodate widescreen players and prevent them from having to play on resolutions that were retardedly disproportionate on their monitors, however for the sake of fairness 1440x1024 was not, players gave up either 124 pixels of height or 160 pixels of width)

one of the few great things about this game itself was its simplicity and now that's apparently going to be taken away in favor of a contest to see who has the deepest wallet and the most advanced hardware

in that case i say good riddance to this festering cancerhole
                        Originally posted by Tone
                        It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                        Originally posted by the_paul
                        Gargle battery acid fuckface
                        Originally posted by Material Girl
                        I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post
                          one of the few great things about this game itself was its simplicity and now that's apparently going to be taken away in favor of a contest to see who has the deepest wallet and the most advanced hardware

in that case i say good riddance to this festering cancerhole
                          this
                          2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
                          2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
                          2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

what i said in the other twd thread i will say here again. twd should be built around twl. if you decide to raise twl limits, then twd should follow.

like it or not, i am now stuck with a 16:9 monitor that can go up to 1920x1080. i dont like that resolution. my ship jsut seems too small. i like 1600x900. only 900 vertical pizels allow my ship to be decent sized and in full screen. that isnt allowed. fine. unfortunately i cant seem to make my computer do any other resolutions in 16:9 full screen aside from those two without being distorted. lately i have been playing on 1440x900. its a little awkward. anyways, none of that really matters. just my personal issues with attempting to play full screen.

the game was meant to be played on a 4:3 monitor. 1040x768 and 1280x1024. if monitor manufacturers hadnt decided to save a buck and go widescreen, i dont think there would be any serious issue with the resolutions. unfortunately, monitors have moved to widescreen and larger resolutions (such as 1920x1080) have become affordable and are included with some pre built computers. not only that, about all laptops also went widescreen (though those resolutions can be really different).

the solution is obvious. we should all go find our old crt monitors and bust those out to play spaceship games. your current monitor works great for everything you do on your computer aside from spaceships. but since this game is more than 10 years old, it should be played with your 10 year old monitor as well. actually, if someone could help me figure out how to play a nearly full screen 1440x900 on my 16:9 monitor that would be awesome. basically im asking for 80 pixel black stripes on either side of the monitor yet completely fills it vertically. is there a way to force my computer to do this?

i started rambling.

tl;dr version: twd should match twl. monitors have changed in the last 10 years, it sucks. how can i make my 16:9 screen go to a nondistorted 1440x900 with just a blacked out portion.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

*** Better voting options are needed. Don't mind jds having higher res limit since no huge advantage, but it will effect wbs. Most of the posters who dont mind res raised for wbs aren't even wbs. Having the restricted res creates skills. Those who are high tier wbs usually have higher reflexes/reactions and know how to anticipate radars/strays. Also, Wbs actually use sniping in gameplay unlike basing/jav. There will just be a bigger advantage for the person who has the higher res. There's a reason why a restricted res limit was implemented to begin with.

You could argue that times have change and everyone has a new lcd monitor that has a higher res. But these monitors do have the option to change to 4:3 ratio as that is what I do with mine. It's also unlikely that everyone has these nice monitors. I know a lot of people play this game because the requirements are very low and can be easily played on a laptop. Most laptops dont even go up to 1920 res.

You can raise limits for bds/jds since it has no advantage. I don't even see anyone using a higher res in basing so far. But wbs should still be restricted. 1440 is ok but 1920 is just too much.

Comment

Here is a comparison of view distance between 1440x1024 and 1920x1080, and yes this is going to break the tables. First of all, this doesn't show the difference in vertical view distance, which is negligible, and the distance shown is obviously in one direction meaning you get that on the other side as well.

Also, it's not shown here, but it should probably be noted that at 1920 resolution you can almost, but not quite, see the entire radar left-to-right (not up-to-down, though).

sdg

Comment

Working...
                                X