Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWL format is shit are we trying to kill the zone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Considering those situations, quite random idea, but what about partial slots that can only play max X% of games in a season? In addition to the standard roster. Could even do ranks. Reserve 1, 30% of games max, Reserve 2, Y%, etc. Can have Z number of slots, find the numbers that fit in the vars and work
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by kentaro View Post

      I guess myself and a couple others would fall in that category, I definitely do not have enough drive to go out of my way and commit my Sunday just to play TW. Though if I happened to have nothing better to do I wouldn't mind playing either. How its set up now, I just rather say I'm out all together rather than be relied to show in whatever squad I join

      Not really for or against the caps (was it not like this last TWL too? lol im clueless) but just sharing my thoughts as one of "those" players you are mentioning.
      This was what I was afraid of happening. You are one of the vets in this game. Like yourself, there are several others that can’t always be there and may miss a few weeks. Instead of selfishly taking a limited roster spot, you feel inclined to not play at all. That’s a testament to your good character.

      It shouldn’t be like this, guys. We are trying to play god with these roster limits and driving some good old players that can’t play like they did before but now you eliminate them from the equation entirely.



      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by qan View Post
        Considering those situations, quite random idea, but what about partial slots that can only play max X% of games in a season? In addition to the standard roster. Could even do ranks. Reserve 1, 30% of games max, Reserve 2, Y%, etc. Can have Z number of slots, find the numbers that fit in the vars and work
        Qan, I like the thought process with this. There needs to be more flexibility.

        Clearly TWL will not be as deep as yesteryear so trykng to play god with these stringent roster limits is only a bigger nuisance and won’t change the climate. I commend staff for trying to be creative so I appreciate their effort. However, the problem with the severe roster restriction is it takes some casual players—that no longer can play the game hardcore—out of the equation. Rather than feeling guilty of burning their teams roster spot, they’ll decide not to partake. This will invariably kill their motivation to log on even more in the future because of said circumstances.

        I think kentaro’s response was very indicative of not only him but some other players in a similar position.

        We don’t want to lose these players they are just as important to this game as players that dedicate a lot more time to this game.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by make tw great again View Post

          Qan, I like the thought process with this. There needs to be more flexibility.

          Clearly TWL will not be as deep as yesteryear so trykng to play god with these stringent roster limits is only a bigger nuisance and won’t change the climate. I commend staff for trying to be creative so I appreciate their effort. However, the problem with the severe roster restriction is it takes some casual players—that no longer can play the game hardcore—out of the equation. Rather than feeling guilty of burning their teams roster spot, they’ll decide not to partake. This will invariably kill their motivation to log on even more in the future because of said circumstances.

          I think kentaro’s response was very indicative of not only him but some other players in a similar position.

          We don’t want to lose these players they are just as important to this game as players that dedicate a lot more time to this game.
          To be fair, though, to Kentaro's statement, no competitive league in any game / sport, is catered to a player who can only show up every once in a while.

          Any competition with a structured weekend league, whether it's street ball, counterstrike or subspace, isn't tolerant of one of their players showing up whenever they feel like it and taking someones spot.

          I don't think TWL or TWDT should cater around that, that's up to the individual squad / team captains.
          1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

          Juice

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by apt View Post

            To be fair, though, to Kentaro's statement, no competitive league in any game / sport, is catered to a player who can only show up every once in a while.

            Any competition with a structured weekend league, whether it's street ball, counterstrike or subspace, isn't tolerant of one of their players showing up whenever they feel like it and taking someones spot.

            I don't think TWL or TWDT should cater around that, that's up to the individual squad / team captains.
            I see what you’re saying. Here is my issue with your opinion. With this strict roster limit, you are not really increasing competition. Kentaro and a bunch of other part-time players will not be creating more squads to increase TWL teams. In fact, you are eliminating some older players who could really provide value in the times they are able to show to some TWL game(s).

            This is a free game and everyone’s situation is not created equal. If you feel part-time players are not important for competition, proceed to these unprecedented roster restrictions then.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by make tw great again View Post

              I see what you’re saying. Here is my issue with your opinion. With this strict roster limit, you are not really increasing competition. Kentaro and a bunch of other part-time players will not be creating more squads to increase TWL teams. In fact, you are eliminating some older players who could really provide value in the times they are able to show to some TWL game(s).

              This is a free game and everyone’s situation is not created equal. If you feel part-time players are not important for competition, proceed to these unprecedented roster restrictions then.
              Yeah and I suppose that was Mouse's point, the roster limit was the communities solution to increase competition, but, the phenomenon which has occurred has been certain players holding out and refusing to join a roster unless they can be part of a winning one and the remainder tightening their ranks into squads of 10s, 9.5s with trickledown of the rest.

              Which perhaps, if the league, players, community want true incorporation of it's ENTIRE community in league, we have to hold their hands force a Draft League of sorts.

              Otherwise, you have no roster limits, less squads most likely, so players like Kentaro can play, which means less competition because 1-3 squads will dominate.

              Or the alternative, you have what we have now.

              The solution, is a Draft League. Qan's idea is interesting, but it limits players from being able to play every weekend if they are present.
              1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

              Juice

              Comment


              • #22
                I had mentioned a few months back when I had just returned, unsure which thread - was to nurture a symbiosis of both TWDT and TWL.

                Join and play with who you want, no Draft, much like now.
                However, each TWL roster is limited not by player head count roster cap, but by TWDT rating cap. You’re allotted more points based on the amount of leagues you’re subscribed to.

                It’s a healthy marriage of both and I still believe it is the most efficient solution to our current dilemma.
                1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

                Juice

                Comment


                • #23
                  ^wut she said
                  1:Engineers> am top spider on squad call me avatar eng
                  1:Cres> ye we only had to axe 10 ppl for it

                  Sweetie4life

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by apt View Post

                    Yeah and I suppose that was Mouse's point, the roster limit was the communities solution to increase competition, but, the phenomenon which has occurred has been certain players holding out and refusing to join a roster unless they can be part of a winning one and the remainder tightening their ranks into squads of 10s, 9.5s with trickledown of the rest.

                    Which perhaps, if the league, players, community want true incorporation of it's ENTIRE community in league, we have to hold their hands force a Draft League of sorts.

                    Otherwise, you have no roster limits, less squads most likely, so players like Kentaro can play, which means less competition because 1-3 squads will dominate.

                    Or the alternative, you have what we have now.

                    The solution, is a Draft League. Qan's idea is interesting, but it limits players from being able to play every weekend if they are present.
                    That is precisely what is happening. Again, I don’t fault any of this. I understand the rationale. We all want to capture the old TWL days where there were more competition and more teams. That being said, stacking has happened in TWL forever. Even teams that lost were stacked. We can’t be afraid of it; that was the allure of TWL — trying to attack those teams and see them lose.

                    Now here is what is happening, the roster limits prohibit some older players from playing alongside their friends, even in a limited capacity. I don’t know about you guys, but I appreciate when I see older players play. They still love and care enough for the game to show up, even if their lives don’t allow them to play as much as they used to. Like Kentaro, they have good character and will decline to play as they don’t want to eat up a roster spot if they are so severely decreased.

                    I don’t want to get too convoluted here, but I have never seen roster restrictions this strict before and I just wanted this to resonate with folks that we are in fact going to be losing players who can participate instead of gaining. I’m certain that couldn’t or shouldn’t be the intent.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by apt View Post
                      I had mentioned a few months back when I had just returned, unsure which thread - was to nurture a symbiosis of both TWDT and TWL.

                      Join and play with who you want, no Draft, much like now.
                      However, each TWL roster is limited not by player head count roster cap, but by TWDT rating cap. You’re allotted more points based on the amount of leagues you’re subscribed to.

                      It’s a healthy marriage of both and I still believe it is the most efficient solution to our current dilemma.
                      This would be the best possible solution I would think..

                      I would be interested to see a league with squads that don't change season to season, but instead have assigned captains who can choose who to recruit to their rosters.. with a star cap limit or title limit of some sorts (It would obviously have to be worked out). I would be interested to see squads form naturally, however the squads themselves not dissolving year to year, but instead changing players year to year. I believe that this would be a good idea as it still promotes the community aspect of recruiting, rather than drafting, but with stack limits. Spreading out talent between several squads (I'm talking like 6-8 solid squads (not 3-2 as TWL currently promotes), with both vets and newer pilots flying alongside each other and competing.

                      I'm not sure this would be an update to TWL, but rather a league on its own.. because TWL itself has always been about the freedom of creating your own competitive squads with no limits on anything, and unless there is a major uproar in the community for major changes for TWL, I don't see that happening.

                      4:cripple> everyone DOWNLOAD my cheat engine it removes .5 sec off ur respawn and adds a 3rd into regen energy link is here: www.pornhub.com/man.kills.fly.during.anal.html

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        "Once a year Premier league"
                        aka TWL
                        Promote squads, not players.

                        Make it like 100 game requirement for (squadname) to qualify, players must play 33 games while on roster(1/3 of 100) OR they are grandfathered in by time spent on roster without leaving squad, lets say 75 days on the squads roster makes you eligible to play for that squad. This would stop people from axing last min to stack.

                        Example: for the squad Ossify to qualify for TWL. It would have to have played 100 matches of twd, don't matter what league. Only players who play in 1/3 of matches (33) would qualify to play for that squad OR spent 75 days on roster would also make them eligible..... if you set it at 100 games you would allow 120 days to qualify. Just throwing out random numbers..

                        This would stop squads from forming last min and stacking just for TWL. Because there's alot of ego on this game and allstar X can't stand allstar Z and surly won't play with him for 100 games. Alot of top players dislike each other and suck it up to play twl on sundays to win their pixel medal... Hell sometimes they can't even finish the season without raging on each other mid season......

                        This would allow ACTUAL SQUADS to be built, true teaming and chemistry to be built. Honestly what this game is missing.

                        This would Boost activity in twd as well, 8 teams 800 games.

                        Once again just random numbers, but I think a format like that would work. As it promotes activity and being a team player.

                        Then after that TWL is over have your stupid cluster fucked squad hopping stackfest.... maybe like an ALLSTAR tournament.
                        Last edited by olde; 02-15-2021, 06:01 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'm with Kentaro here, there should be room for part-time players, several players have come to play a few league matches here and there and have become full-time players by finding the motivation. I find it rarer for players to reappear and be immediately very active, but each case is different. I find that a lot of times players need to test the competitive playing field before they see if they are going to stay or not, and TWDT has sometimes helped that way. I do not agree with Mythril, I do not like that two players can end up in two teams simultaneously in the same season, quite simply, I have no arguments and I remember having looked at the history of the league some time ago it has already happened that a player wins two divisions with two teams in the same season, so I don't care, however the limit of 18 players would have seemed perfect to me, especially for cases like Kentaro.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The way Twl is setup is just horrible at this stage of the zone. Absolutely no loyalty, super toxic and the stackage is gay af. Take away twl, and add playoffs to TWD once a year. Just imagine that

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I would like to play with great veterans such as Kentaro who don't wish to be complete tryhards and waste 25% of their weekends on TW for the next 3 months in order to be crowned as some 30+ yr old nerdman however format says you should just not bother playing with these kinds of cool people

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                There will always be stacking, I do not think it can be prevented unless you impose some sort of restrictions like stars or salary cap etc. Unfortunately the changes have not brought more squads. People would rather just not play than to compete.

                                For guys like Kentaro and others I am sure Dynasty or other mid tier wb squads would have a spot for you. Why not join them and elevate their game? Sure you'll get clobbered some but they'll appreciate you very much. Plus maybe you can pass on some knowledge that would help them improve their game. People's skill level is not static, and people's play rises and falls depending on a lot of factors.

                                There's only a limited number of people will to step up and captain a squad so there seems to be a shortage of squads. Although it might be a bit too early to call but once the rosters are up hopefully more squads are made and people start making some moves. You don't need 10 star sharks to win TWL, but it does help a lot lol.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X