Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad behaviour during a TWL game from a whole squad from spec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me just say that the overall skill level has not, to my experience, increased one bit. People come and go, people get better, people get worse. Playing against top squads feels and looks exactly the same as it did say 5 years ago. Sure things were different back when the server was in Finland and back when there was no res cap, but the res cap was put in in 2000 or 2001 wasn't it? That's a long time ago.

Now what would make people assume that squads such as Siege and Elusive (someone also mentioned Rampage) were better in terms of skill as some of today's powerhouses? One thing, the sheer amount of time and practice they spent on improving their games. Siege was in action for what, 4 seasons? Do you have any idea what sort of cohesion and synchronization you can create between a team whose key players were mostly the same during that whole time as well? I bet Elusive had the same sort of thing before Siege. I don't know why Rampage was even mentioned as I wouldn't compare it to these squads but we had a lot of people in Rampage who were accustomed to playing with each other from before, thus making teamplay easily acquired.

I'd say that there's practically no difference with the 'skill' levels of top players these days and the top players of any past era. Some squads' teamplaying has just been so good and they have done so well that they have become to be known as 'powerhouses'.
    jee

Comment

• Would guys like Jim Brown, Bob Cousy, or Babe Ruth be allstars or mediocre players in the current NFL,NBA,MLB game? Who really knows. Now of course ss hasn't really evolved nearly as much in the last what 10 years, as professional sports have in the last 50 years, it's not like we've injected steroids and billion of dollars in training,coaching,conditioning into the game.

Are there some nostalgic vets that play this game that give way way too much credit to how good some of the old players were? Yeah, of course, you know who these guys are. But has the talent increased that dramatically that guys that dominated a few years ago would not be nearly as dominant now if they put as much time into it as they used to, I doubt it. There are more good players but the guys who were a step above everyone else 3-4 years ago, and are still active, are still a step above everyone else today. A handful of new guys join that group every year or so, but it's not like a flood of newer players are now all at that elite skill level, just trust me on that.

There is sort of a "no one can ever be as good as sika/banzi..." thing, but a lot of that is just because they've been good for so long. If you're a newer guy, no matter how good you are, to be the next sika you're going to have to maintain that level of play for a couple years. It's like Albert Pujols. Is he as good as Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds? Yeah, he's probably the best ever, but if he quit tomorrow history wouldn't be saying his name next to those guys. People aren't willing to throw names into the best of the best ever lists until they've seen your name for many years.
      Last edited by Sleepy Weasel; 05-18-2006, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• hi
        RaCka> how can i get you here
        death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
        RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
        death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
          Would guys like Jim Brown, Bob Cousy, or Babe Ruth be allstars or mediocre players in the current NFL,NBA,MLB game? Who really knows. Now of course ss hasn't really evolved nearly as much in the last what 10 years, as professional sports have in the last 50 years, it's not like we've injected steroids and billion of dollars in training,coaching,conditioning into the game.

Are there some nostalgic vets that play this game that give way way too much credit to how good some of the old players were? Yeah, of course, you know who these guys are. But has the talent increased that dramatically that guys that dominated a few years ago would not be nearly as dominant now if they put as much time into it as they used to, I doubt it. There are more good players but the guys who were a step above everyone else 3-4 years ago, and are still active, are still a step above everyone else today.

There is sort of a "no one can ever be as good as sika/banzi..." thing, but a lot of that is just because they've been good for so long. If you're a newer guy, no matter how good you are, to be the next sika you're going to have to maintain that level of play for a couple years. It's like Albert Pujols. Is he as good as Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds? Yeah, he's probably the best ever, but if he quit tomorrow history wouldn't be saying his name next to those guys. People aren't willing to throw names into the best of the best ever lists until they've seen your name for many years.
          I think its unfair to compare newer players to the older players, such as the Sika and Banzi example you gave. I think each player will always have their own identity to some degree.
          RaCka> how can i get you here
          death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
          RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
          death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

• What I'm saying is that psychologically people won't be willing to put a new player next to a historic player until they've played for long enough that the new guy has become a nostalgic old timey vet as well. Basically at the point when we're looking at both the "new guy" and sika as old vets. I think that's the point you were referring to.

If you're saying you don't think it's fair because it's a different game now then it used to be, what I was saying in the first paragraph was that I don't think it's changed all that much, so unlike pro sports in my own opinion someone who was good in the beginnings of twl would still be good if they played in the current twl. The average skill in twl has probably gone up, meaning more upsets/close games, but not the upper limit.
            Last edited by Sleepy Weasel; 05-18-2006, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleepy Weasel
              The average skill in twl has probably gone up, meaning more upsets/close games, but not the upper limit.
              Aye, you can only cram so many hours of SS into a day, even if you have no friends, family, job or...life. IMO, people come and go, only those who last should be remembered. Heck, I played birds on league level for both FI and WF in early 2000s, but who the heck is going to wb me nowadays (they even rather put in that newbie blood, who was already -2ez- in his prime .

It's over noon already...hmm, time to sleep, maybe . Going to buy my copy of life very next thing in the morning...umm...evening. I wonder if they want to take my copy of SS as a trade-in (I've unfortunately misplaced the box, need to form a search party, those things must be rare .
              Veni Vidi Visa - I came, I saw, I did some shopping.

Also did some game development. Check out this horror adventure game if you like point'n'clicks.

Comment

• !

Skill has increased across TW significantly and so has competition. I'm not saying today’s players are necessarily better then players were 5 years ago, but what I am saying is that a larger proportion of the total SS population is now competitive. So, in other words, the skill level of top players has remained constant, but there are many more top players now (or players approaching that category) then there were back in the day (as a proportion of total players).

For those people here who watch soccer; I think we can all easily agree that the general popularity of the sport and skill level of professional players has increased DRAMATICALLY in the last decade alone. No longer can Brazil easily dominate, and we will see that more and more in the years to come. Brazil, England, Holland... those teams can no longer easily win championships. Now Asian nations, who previously didn't even touch soccer balls, are now competing successfully! Japan finished a world cup in 3rd place I believe only a few years back? That would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. Now if you place Brazil vs. Japan… sure Brazil is a paper-favorite (Syndicate vs. UF) but in reality it can go either way.

Scores have also narrowed and there are less and less blowouts. Now I'm talking about soccer because if this type of movement/trend is possible in a game that complex and physically demanding, it surely is possible in an online video-game.

Comment

• whats any of this have to do with bad behavior during twl
                  1:pascone> bike u gonna fold like a shirt in twl?

jack> (6")-o KIRBY punches you two sillys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVYGbIUepQ

Comment

• bike read my mind, I was gona post the exact same words
                    1:Da1andonly> korven plays subspace from a 1978 microwave

Grab a piece of paper. Place a dot in the middle of it. Draw a small circle around the dot, and leave the rest open. The dot represents your knowledge. It's what you know. It is the limit of your mind's capacity. The circle around the dot is everything that you don't know - but you know that it exists. And the rest of the paper is everything that you didn't even know that you'd never know - that exists or has the potential to exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blood
                      Let me just say that the overall skill level has not, to my experience, increased one bit. People come and go, people get better, people get worse.

I'd say that there's practically no difference with the 'skill' levels of top players these days and the top players of any past era. Some squads' teamplaying has just been so good and they have done so well that they have become to be known as 'powerhouses'.
                      Agreed :fear:
                      DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                      Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                      Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                      -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

• You can't agree with something you know nothing about, newbie.
                        jee

Comment

• hohohoo :detective
                          6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                          3 league vet

Comment

• Originally posted by Blood
                            You can't agree with something you know nothing about, newbie.
                            Lol, ok.

http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=19818

Better being a newbie than a "vet" after your definitions, cause it's kinda sad what you define as a vet.
                            DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                            Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                            Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                            -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by MILOS
                              When -F- plays a game, who are they "afraid" of? No one. To them, every squad is pretty much like playing Dingus Inc.. They got the mental freedom to perform and that's the only advantage they have.
                              Wait. Are people not afraid when they play Dingus Inc.? I'm confused.

Comment

• LOL ratty got busted
                                1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
                                1:Cower> Sword
                                1:Kthx> ok
                                1:Cower> Axe
                                1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
                                1:Cower> ?
                                1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

Working...
                                X