Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Project

the go base dream team:

terr: dttr (though I think he has a better future as a spid)
    sharks: greven and stab
    jav: no one can jav in go base
    spids: stayon, megaman, cumulonimbus, suffi, tobe

smack aka maisoul honorable mention for sucking THAT much.

and stupid gerbil for best mid.
    Ouch, I just got thrown to the curb.

-Legionair
    4:Mootland <ER>> <- Mom of the year
    4:Mootland <ER>> Hear ma baby
    4:Mootland <ER>> Breast feeding time?
    4:dll> YES
    4:Mootland <ER>> Ok, take a suck
    4:dll> u produce the best milk ^_^
    4:Mootland <ER>> Hey, no teeth!
    4:Mootland <ER>> ffs
    4:dll> your nippies are red :P
    4:Mootland <ER>> yes :\

Comment

u also gotta remember that the older guys were good when craming wasnt around (especialy the sharking) they learned to use reps as a weapon and mine strategicly...nowdays some of the sharks that u mentioned only know how to rep rep rep die and alternate w/ a partner shark in the cram..where u could grab any random newbie and give him some games in shark craming and he'd get good at it...terr was also alot harder when u lined and in teh old days then it is now days in cram..cramming for terr just consists of sitting and being able to warp at the last secound basicaly...again any older terr could learn to do this + they can line/do otehr things if they havta

so calling lunch3 better then blood isnt even funny or soem of the sharks u mentioned over the sharks like windreap/mantra/hellkite/zephire the guys who sharked in the old days they can cram+line if needed
      _o_2NASRALLAH

Comment

People always say things like that, and always minimalize it into the sharks only having to know how to repel 3 times, and the terrier just having to know how to sit there. Sure, whatever-- but there is never a game where one team crams for the ENTIRE game. And I can guarantee you that pretty much every shark/terr listed on here does a lot more than "repelling 3x and dying" or "sitting and warping at the last second". If someone only knew how to do that, your team would be fucked quite quickly if by happenstance you lost the base. For the most part, the people listed here have their own personal style that makes them stand out. Take, for a random example, brookus as a terrier. The guy just knows how to stay alive in seemingly hopeless situations, and in general just knows how to stay safe from the enemies. Personally, it seems to me that people who say these things about the good ol' "vets" being superior are people that I never even see playing or watching real base games lately.

And saying that older players are better because they are good at line or cram is just stupid. That's like saying that someone that can fix rotary phones is better than someone that can fix touch-tone phones, even though the former is outdated, inferior, and never used. Bad analogy but it's 1:30AM.

And finally this is a thread to post your OWN PERSONAL "DREAM TEAMS". It isn't some be-all and end-all list chiseled in stone, of the absolute top-5 players that ever played TW. I could name "DE/\TH_|<iller" and "BLOODY WARRIOR X" as the best javs if I wanted to; doesn't mean it's the final and ultimate say on the best that ever lived in TW.
        sdg

Comment

Javs

Psymorph
          Rough
          Koan
          Crazy Canockout
          Download

I don't play base (or birds) as much as I used to so I'm sure I'd be fairly inaccurate as far as those go (cept brookus would be my terr for sure).
          Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
          i just wish it was longer
          Originally posted by Cops
          it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

pancakes

I totally disagree Cundor You CAN eat pancakes with white sugar... I fact, I am getting hungry just thinking about it
            mmmmmm.... pancakes

Comment

Why are people forgetting sleepy as spid? I mean, you really have to do SOMETHING to get a 150+ kill average in TWLB

As for sharking, I've grown fond of Jeansi's sharking. He knows how to mine, which is prolly the reason why I like his sharking that much (hello cramming sharks that can't mine anymore). Of course, his 300ms ping really doesn't help the repping though When lining, I'd take a2m+(notice the big fat +)/Windreaper/Jeansi. Of course this is a bit biased, he is my squadmate and all.

Seriously guys, some of these picks are hilarrious...
              6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
              3 league vet

Comment

Sigh, I suppose I need to add in my 2 cents, too (ok, I hope I'm not turning this already unstable thread into a total flame war :P).
                I find that Stab got a very good point here. I personally think that people who have sharked more with the cram around area clearly superior to the "leet vets". I haven't really been active in the cram era so I get outclassed by the newer people quite regularly. Hmm, this might turn into a sharking tactics article so please bear with me.

From the few games (maybe bit over hundred, I think, not too many anyway) I've played I think that cramming is almost as delicate system as lining, sharkwise. When you come think of it, lining could be summarized as: Two sharks sitting above/below(I vastly preferred below, btw) the entrance repping. As with lining, your actual position and timing were the things that really mattered. The problem is that you just saw sharks sitting around and repping. Nowadays (especially with my lag going from 10ms to 130ms) I often die with unused reps since I try keep the rep span at maximum (I intentionally take a hit or two between reps) since I don't have enough experience in dealing with the cram situations. I could name about dozen "new" players who do way better in a cram (but I won't, sorry :P).

In my opinion the true measurement of shark skill comes to play when you're out of reps. Most of sharks just get themselves killed asap. In a cram situation I can see the wisdom in this. On the other hand, if you slip through nmy into lower and get 3 spids after you you're probably doing your team more good than just waiting 5secs for a new set of reps. Rushing into enemy formation mining wildly (never mind between enemy and your team however) has proven to be quite effective too especially with some of the laggier people (*cough*).

Also, on defensive mining. I wish I could do that properly. Mining the little nooks surrounded from 3 sides seems to be the best option. This can get your team screwed over when they try to enter lower, however. Consider the risk and mine if you wish. To be honest, I've never seen the point in placing mines too far away from the walls. When you place a mine out in the open you give nmy sharks unlimited number of directions to rep it into. On the other hand if it's next to a wall you limit nmy options by half, at worst. Gets you some nice shrap kills, too. Again, I think many new people got this covered better than vets who used to do the infamous Y-pattern (which is quite pointless, as an afterthought) without really thinking about it. Yes, I did that too. Did I tk people? Oh yes! It was just considered normal. Nowadays most good sharks score less than 10tks a match.

This turned out to be a little long, but I hope you got my point: I do personally think that sharks nowadays are better than sharks of old when looking at the time they've been playing. And this has got little to do with cramming, imo. They do very well in lower and most flagroom situations, too. Also, I see no reason why they wouldn't quickly adjust to lining (should it become popular again).

It's a bit sad but most of us (ok, I suppose I can consider myself a vet after playing SS since '96 and TW since '99 or so) vets got a life or equivalent nowadays so we're going to hopelessly fall behind in skill in a year or two. I think it's ok, though. I've seen this behaviour in other online games (mainly MUDs), too. Old players eventually fall into state of slumber as they find other areas of interest. I'm actually surprised that this stupid 2d spaceship game with no clear point or purpose has kept me addicted for 7 or so years already. On the other hand, maybe it's the seeming simplicity and complexity married that has kept the game interesting for new people depite its age. If you're still reading, thank you for your time.

-Mikko Heikkilä, aka Windreaper

EDIT: Btw, why don't I ever make those leet spider lists? Sharks are fat, anyway.
                Last edited by Windreaper; 12-03-2003, 10:15 AM.
                Veni Vidi Visa - I came, I saw, I did some shopping.

Also did some game development. Check out this horror adventure game if you like point'n'clicks.

Comment

I actually read all of that Wind. Usually I skip the longers posts, you deserve a pat on the back...*pat*. btw it was a good read.

-Legionair
                  4:Mootland <ER>> <- Mom of the year
                  4:Mootland <ER>> Hear ma baby
                  4:Mootland <ER>> Breast feeding time?
                  4:dll> YES
                  4:Mootland <ER>> Ok, take a suck
                  4:dll> u produce the best milk ^_^
                  4:Mootland <ER>> Hey, no teeth!
                  4:Mootland <ER>> ffs
                  4:dll> your nippies are red :P
                  4:Mootland <ER>> yes :\

Comment

blood is pretty much the best at everything. i'd put mayo inc. on any dream team of mine too.

this thread rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
                      Lagging through bullets.
                      That's not what I meant. Do I pass off as being that dumb to think lag is skill? Okay bad question

I think most of us are ALSO forgetting that these are personal opinons. Most of us posting here have been around the basing seen/have watched basers for several years. I might have not started off with the best, but boy did I enjoy watching it, and following back when TWL started to impliment it more and more. I've seen the best, I've seen the worst... most of my opinions were based on people playing NOW. Like windy said, vets come and go, they get too busy with their lives, they grow tired of the game, whatever it may be. You have to understand once the best doesn't mean always the best, and I think a lot of bitter old basers have a hard time giving that up.
                      Last edited by PaulOakenfold; 12-03-2003, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulOakenfold
                        Sharks:
                        How could you forgot about Troll King, Gabraham and Bleen.
                        Propably the best Sharks ever. In know that these guys aren't online much but they are the best. Agree?!

Originally posted by PaulOakenfold
                        Stayon
                        Lagot!

Comment

Troll King has resorted to pub for the past couple years, I doubt he's as good as some sharks we have now.

Gabby, good m8, he's no where near what we have for sharks as well.

Bleen, great shark, not my top at the moment.

Comment

only reason i refuse to do these kinds of lists is there are more than 5 wbs 5 javs 2 terrs 3 sharks 6 spiders 2 warbirds, etc that i would mention. i think a lot of people that don't ever get credit deserve it. but some people don't need a pat on the back, i know that too..

Comment

As a lot of the players don't play base or are otherwise inactive now before twl, these players are maybe not the true best imo. They are however who I respect for their skill at the moment.

Terr: brook is always good, as is warportal. Phrenitis is very good too. I've sharked for him enought to know where he is going and what he thinks I'll do next, which of course helps. But he is sure as hell the best terr for entry.

Sharks: Windreaper is still the best around no matter what he says. Predator_FNM, X Machine and atm+ also please my eyes.

Javs: Pearl Jam. Nockm is evil too
                              Wb: Randled or Kuukunen
                              Spids: Sleepy Weasel, Nuudeli, Cumulonimbus, bram etc. Theres a bunch.

Now those are individual players and I don't think thats the best team. They might not know each others moves and tactics. Also bram is one helluva camper. If there are more that one of them there is no way of pushing.
                              5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                              5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                              5: Da1andonly> =((
                              5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                              5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                              5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I guess I'll throw out my opinion on wb skills since its all ive been doing for the last 6 months.

WB:

Blood
                                Demonfaze
                                Mongrel

From my 6 months of playing tw and my contact with all of the current players i have formed the opinion that these 3 players are a notch above the other "elites" and are in a class by themselves.

Below these guys theres a grouping of similarly skilled players of maybe 15 guys (the better few of the starters on each of the top wb squads and a couple standouts on squads not known for wb) any of which could be interchanged in the #4 or #5 spots without much impact on the overall skill of the team.

-esc
                                There exists a fine line between hard partying and destitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X