2022 League Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 League Calendar

Last edited by ogron; 01-11-2022, 04:15 PM.
    top 100 basers list

Thanks for the post Claushouse , the overall schedule looks pretty good. I would suggest throwing a 1v1, 2v2, or elim style 'league' or 'tournament' into the calendar for the July - August period or possibly bring back some Pure_Luck pizza tourny styled tournaments (all winners got $20 per player) in ?Go tourny for a few weekends during those months.

I can commit to running TWDT for this upcoming season and help with the initial set up alongside you and the other staff members that make it possible to run these leagues as smoothly as they've been going.

I agree with most of your notes but for TWL purposes I've been enjoying putting together small rosters that are viable in all 3 leagues. I agree the TWL season definitely needs to be shorter, 5 weeks for regular season seemed to be the sweet spot for now anyways. Maybe we can get some community feedback on the Wb/Jav roster being split from the basing roster since I don't have much say on the basing side.

The TSL style league has a lot of potential but definitely needs some major fixes if another league similar to TSL is ever hosted again.

For TWDT purposes, people NEVER used to disclose their show rates prior to seasons starting.. everybody pretty much just assumed 100% show rate during those times. Nowadays, it seems like some people use it to dictate where they are drafted and other times peoples schedules simply change after the fact. It's really difficult to set actual rules against a player for saying an inaccurate show rate IMO.

As for aliases, we should really try to keep it to a minimum in leagues like TWDT, TSL, etc. as the premise of the whole league is trying to make teams as fair as possible for competition purposes.
    Last edited by RaCka; 01-01-2022, 06:16 PM.
    1:Riverside> you guys eat schmores in america?

Comment

Seems like a good summary of the situation and a sensible plan for 2022.
      Comments:
      - What about the weekends that end up getting skipped due to holidays/sports/whatever?
      - Note the deadness of EU compared to US, not that it changes anything I think, but it's important to remember the EU experience is much worse than the US experience. Outside of planned leagues EU is completely dead now.

Comment

Thanks for the in-depth response, RaCka. You running TWDT is huge. Good stuff! The main questions that I have:

1) Star cap or star slot for TWDT?

2) Separate Basing and Dueling rosters in TWL like 2019 and 2020 or not?

3) During Dueling Cup, do we also run a Basing Cup or something else for basers? I'm not sure if 3 cups with 3 separate rosters is too much or not? It's already 2 separate drafts and 2 separate leagues for WB/Jav, as the main point of cups is to be unique to one league and not have star caps and fewer teams to raise the quality of games. Maybe something else for basers?

4) How many teams in WB Cup and Jav Cup during the Dueling Cup portion of the schedule? Generally it should be 4 to 6. My feeling is 6 seems correct, as it positions Cup between TWDT (10 teams) and TWL (4 contenders).

5) What to run in the off-season of July and August? 1v1 TWEL? 2v2 TWEL? Pizza tournys? I think 1v1 is boring as hell, 2v2 TWEL seemed much better FWIW.

6) In November, during Basing Cup, maybe run a TSL 2.0 but using Elim and Belim format? So we host scheduled TSL, but in elim, and it's the same scoring system: your best 20 elim games in wb or jav, using GameScore, and the win bonus is instead top 5 finishers in that elim round? So 1st place gets 10$, 2nd 8$, 3rd 6$, etc. and so a 17-8 win is 17 + (17-8) + 10$ for winning = $36... so turn it a bit more into an elim league but not quite elim (where you sit on your rating and stop playing)... I think the ELO stuff is too ambitious and requires like 300 games played each. You need to use people's scores in small-sample size situations, and an elim format might be more fun and less frustrating than using personal scores from 5v5 matches. Elim league sounds fun anyway. We can just continue calling it TSL and run that as Season 5 during Basing Cup.
        top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by ogron View Post

3) During Dueling Cup, what do we do for basers?
          I had an idea the other day that might work, and the schedule would look like this on Sundays:

You run Jav Cup and WB Cup as usual, then block off an hour for a Blitz league in base.

The premise is simple: a bunch of shorter blitz games to 5 minutes, but when a terr dies, if the other terr doesn't die within 5 seconds, you warp everyone back to the ears like on Go! Go! Go! and the team that got the tek gains +30 seconds and you go again.

(if both terrs die within 5 seconds, the ear warp still happens but nobody gets +30 seconds on the clock)

So it's just pure flagroom action for 10 minutes -- there's no cramming or dead time in spawn.

You play 6 to 8 short games instead of 2 or 3 long ones. It would follow a similar format to cups, but would be much easier timewise to schedule without interfering with Dueling Cup, and would be cool to try. It's also interesting because you'd play every team every sunday.
          top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
            What about the weekends that end up getting skipped due to holidays/sports/whatever?
            Good call, I forgot to check.

We actually need to shift TWL and Dueling Cup down 1 week so Mother's Day and Father's Day fall on the regular season and not the Semi-Finals in both.

It's also very hard to schedule the Dueling Cup finals with Father's Day and Independence Day/Canada Day being only 2 weeks apart, leaving only 1 Sunday in-between...

Unless we want to continue the season after independence day weekend and play into mid-July? That seems awful and like losing all the league momentum, though... maybe we just cram all the playoffs into June 26, then go into the 2 month summer off-season.
            Last edited by ogron; 01-02-2022, 05:18 PM. Reason: Edited: Added SuperBowl
            top 100 basers list

Comment

what about super bowl? feb 13th

Comment

ogron It's great you're trying to get the ball rolling on stuff'n things. Please keep in mind, It's probably better to have some downtime between matches so said matches don't overlap (like BC and TSL did). Games start late (usually people taking FOREVER to do lines) and run late unless the match is a blowout.

Couldn't we just host all 3 cups at the same time? Getting it set up could be a pain but once the drafts are done the schedule is done.....I mean this sort of what DT is on sunday, 2 games of each per team. This would mean duelers and basers both have something to play on sunday.
                rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                rEnZi> its crazy
                rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

Originally posted by RageRitual View Post
                  ogron It's great you're trying to get the ball rolling on stuff'n things. Please keep in mind, It's probably better to have some downtime between matches so said matches don't overlap (like BC and TSL did). Games start late (usually people taking FOREVER to do lines) and run late unless the match is a blowout.

Couldn't we just host all 3 cups at the same time? Getting it set up could be a pain but once the drafts are done the schedule is done.....I mean this sort of what DT is on sunday, 2 games of each per team. This would mean duelers and basers both have something to play on sunday.
                  I think it'll be easier to tackle those topics once those seasons approach but I agree with RageRitual, there needs to be longer scheduled down time between games to avoid as much overlapping as we had last time and even when we didn't have overlaps it felt extremely crammed

Comment

twd n twbd has vstid diwnfill since ripitish piss away n then will b gr8 once twl commincis n ripitish vs a cumb1k

Comment

This is an awesome thread, props to Ogron for starting it and everyone who cares about the zone's long-term health for participating.

Ogron's hit the nail on the head with his takeaways and his schedule. It's a great idea to come up with a full schedule now so that everyone knows what's coming and can pick and choose what they want to participate in.

I'm on board with everything that's been discussed. Here are my other thoughts on 2021:

- TWL needs to have some kind of qualification requirement and/or do not expand roster caps for more league participation. Last season you had a lot of basing squads in ld and lj who were only there for the roster spots and the lols.

- We should introduce a front-facing ELO system for TWD. Borrows are a boon for TWD activity but it has also diminished the general sense of "squadiness" as all-borrow games are not uncommon. An elim-style player rating system but for basing that showed up on a website would be cool.

- We continue to fail at creating a more competitive atmosphere in pub. What is Trench Wars? Is it Public 0 or is it TWD? At this point, I would argue Trench Wars is TWD. Pub needs to be wholly overhauled to turn it into a stepping stone for bad/new players and a practice space for good players (yes, ban the lev as Step 1).

- For TWDT, if you introduce a "star slot" system instead of a "star cap" one, then I think you need to rate players in all 3 basing ships. (For example, I'd like to spid more in DT but my star rating is nominally shark-based.)

Overall I'd like to thank staff (specifically guys like BIET and Wirah who do tremendous amounts of thankless work) as well as our player-volunteers who have run leagues this last year. Ops have, for the most part, been great at running their respective leagues and they truly deserve the credit for keeping this zone alive.

See you all in 2022.
                      Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                      Message has been sent to online moderators
                      2:BLeeN> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>no
                      2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                      2:BLeeN> ok then no
                      :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

someone bring back twlm

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
                          someone bring back twlm
                          Need the legend Ardour to bring it back

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
                            someone bring back twlm
                            A couple of us reached out to ardour about this, he is too busy with IRL stuff'n things to work on it, maybe we try bugging him again next season .
                            rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                            rEnZi> its crazy
                            rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

Yo hear me out please Why do we still continue to do leagues on Sundays? Friday night is probably the most active time in subspace yet we don't host anything. I know am not the only one that can't give up Sundays for this game. To ask me to sit on my ass for 5 or so hours straight for this game from 1pm to 6pm on a Sunday is asking a whole lot when I have family time and other adult responsibilities that take priority. We should be breaking up divisions and playing them throughout the week or something for those of us who have families/lives/jobs. Wb 6-7pm Friday, Jav 10-11am Saturday Base 1-3pm Sunday or something like that.

Ultimately I miss playing this game and love you guys. Hope 2022 treats you and everyone else reading this well. Take care.

-ixa
                              Last edited by Grasps; 01-17-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X