Summer Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Reading

I'm starting some summer reading today ... leisurely of course. Here's my first batch of books ... I'll let you guys know how I like them afterwards I guess. Lemme know what you guys recommend.

I also figure it'd be cool to start writing down all the books I've ever read (starting from today).

1) The Last Juror - John Grisham
    2) The Human Stain - Philip Roth
    3) A Widow For One Year - John Irving
    4) Sarah - Orson Scott Card
    5) Baudolino - Umberto Eco

I've read stuff by JG, JI, and OSC ... Grisham's stuff gets really repetitive, but I figured I'd give this one a try since I've read almost all his stuff. Irving is amazing in "A Prayer For Owen Meany" <-- will become your favorite book. OSC also wrote one of my favorite books ... "Ender's Game" ... and since I already know bout Sarah from the Bible (OT), I'd figure give his Bible-fiction book a try.

As for Roth ... I think this might be a movie ... I don't remember for sure ... but it seemed like a good book since it's a national bestseller. I've heard good things bout Eco's stuff from the Brown camp (Da Vinci Code etc).
    Last edited by Sufficient; 07-06-2005, 04:04 PM.

Have you read Irving's The World According to Garp? Or perhaps seen the movie? The novel is one of my favourites, along with Owen Meany, but the film is great too and is one of Robin Williams' earliest filmwork (pre-Dead Poets), and one of his better performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
      Have you read Irving's The World According to Garp? Or perhaps seen the movie? The novel is one of my favourites, along with Owen Meany, but the film is great too and is one of Robin Williams' earliest filmwork (pre-Dead Poets), and one of his better performances.
      Nope I haven't ... but I will definitely take a look. Thanks TK.

Comment

im reading the following over the summer:

Chinua Achebe: Things Fall Apart
        Dan Brown: Da Vinci Code
        Robert Greene: The 48 Laws of Power

and ill take a gander at ender's game.
        audit> and btw, im your fan!

DeeZ NuTs> time to own
        DeeZ NuTs> got my fedex hat on
        Azreal> LOloL
        cook> ROFL

R.I.P VENOM

Comment

Originally posted by cook

I've read the first two and they're quite good.

I'm reading:
          A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
          The Rule of Four - Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason
          and some AP Euro reading
          this is a dated signature

FREE GHB, PH
          (:3=

Comment

Reading Nabokov's Bend Sinister, Dostoevsky's The Idiot, and Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. It's a Russian summer, baby.
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
            -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

A read a book called "My Name is Asher Lev" which was pretty good. I picked it up when I left college and one of my roommates had left it in our place. It was about some Jewish kid with amazing artistic talent and his struggles growing up in a very strict Jewish family that saw such things as drawing as foolishness. I normally don't read stuff like that, but it was quite good actually.

Comment

I read that book 3-4 years ago (found it in my closet), it was fucking amazing. Recently re-read it (the first time was in 8th grade) and it's brilliant, besides being overtly funny.

Melufa and I hung out at barnes and noble and he suggested reading a book called The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdee (spelling?)
                NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by qan
                  Reading Nabokov's Bend Sinister, Dostoevsky's The Idiot, and Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. It's a Russian summer, baby.
                  One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich is a great short read. I've heard great things about The Brothers Karamazov ... check that out (I haven't read it tho).

Originally posted by cook

In HS I think we had some special video conference with the author Chinua Achebe since we read it in English class. Decent book.

Comment

in response to the last comment, qan: i would definitely recommend going for 'the idiot' BEFORE 'brothers karamazov,' although if you already did brothers then there's no going back, i guess.
                    Originally posted by Ward
                    OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

cool, thanks. I bought TWATG on Amazon just now. Once I finish the Wilt Series (Tom Sharpe) I'll start reading it

Comment

My summer reading

Originally posted by Facetious
                        edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

If you read and like Garp, you must see the movie. There were a couple of changes, naturally, but it sticks true to the feeling of the book. Plus John Irving has a cameo as the wrestling coach.

Comment

i recommend

David Icke - Infinite Love is the only truth: Everything else is an illusion

Bart Kosko - Fuzzy Future

Ray Kurzweil - Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster

The New Pearl Harbor

Comment

I just finished reading the DaVinci Code and am now reading the book that happened before that - Angels and Demons.

The Davinci code was definately one of those pick up book that you never want to set it down. I hadn't read a book in years. I read it over the long weekend and wow i really enjoyed it. It seems my life has slown down a bit working 55 hour weeks kind of does that to a person) so i don't spend as much time on the computer. It's usually out in the early evening doing something active -- frisbee, baseball, something of that sort, and then home for relaxing and reading.

Pick up a book read for half hour and zonk out

Anyways i recommend reading the davinci code.
                              There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X