Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The thread where I will attempt to answer questions you have regarding Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does BC stand for?
    Originally posted by Facetious
    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by Theif of Time
      Is the christian god believed in by christians the Old testament, fire and brimstone pain and suffering god (I'm sure he did some good stuff too...) or the New Testament, Loving god?
      And how literally does your average christian take the good book?
      From what I know, there is both liberal and conservative christianity. As christians, I believe that we need to be more careful with dogma, because claiming things to be true to non-believers has its own consequences in a world of differences.

Burning witches, saying the earth is in the center of the universe, and etc are all examples of dogma. The general case for new testament christianity is that we're technically standing in the burned out part of God's flame or wrath because Jesus (and the cross,) provided us with that space.
      TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
      TelCat> hoes get paid :(
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
        This thread has got 'flame my religion' all over it.
        Religion will always be under constant scrutiny and debate - it's a fact because as 1 Cor 2:13 puts it: "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."
        TelCat> i dont

Comment

Christianity dates back hundreds of years prior to Jesus Christ. Churches and the relegion itself can be dated to Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia, as archeological finds have determined this.

The Christian Coptic Orthodox Church Of Egypt was established long before Jesus was even alive.

SO I am curious to know why so many relate Christianity to be something that was created and based upon the life and teachings of Jesus?
          May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by T3l Ca7
            Just because a really nice person doesn't believe in god, he/she has go to hell? And a murderer + rapist who starts to believe in Jesus at the last minute will go to heaven? What happens if he changes his mind in heaven (that is, if there is one) ... oh wait, that is not my problem, you are the one stuck with him FOR ETERNALITY.

What if God punish people for spreading lies about him/her, what if none of the religion is actually telling the truth?

Why are religions all telling people what they want to hear, why people tends to turn to God and starts become religious when they feel most vulnerable (like people on death row)?

What is so good about heaven?
            This is a very common question. The problem here is that you're judging a person based on earthly conceptions. To God, we're all sinners and to measure the degree of sin is impossible because compared to the infinitely perfect Jesus, we're all so far far away.

I don't think you'll change your mind once you're in Heaven. Why would you want to? God doesn't punish actuall instances of sinning, but rather we are punished by the actual sin itself. One of the wierd things I've found out as I'm growing as a Christian is that not sinning has rewards that are not always immediately reapable.

I can't tell you what you want to hear if you're already closed to the idea. But we turn to God when we are vulnerable because his strength is infinite and ours is not.
            TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
              How can Christians claim God is full of "unconditional love", when there's clearly one huge condition? Accept Jesus as your personal savior or go to hell.

Eg: Rev. 21:8 "The unbelievers...will be thrown into a lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Sounds pretty conditional to me---as well as terroristic (using fear to achieve an agenda). Christianity plays the fear card when it benefits them, then uses the love card when it benefits them.

It sounds like a huge political scam to control people's behavior, and grab money and power---so why am I wrong?
              The "unconditional love" part you just described is taken out of context when used as an argument against christianity. Think of this in more worldly terms - you have a father. Yes, he loves you always, no matter what it is that you do but he can't -force- you to accept him as your father. I.E. he can't MAKE you love him back or want to be with him. So he waits patiently (infinitely patiently, in Jesus' part) for you to just open the door a little bit and actually talk to him or maybe ask him a question... which we never do when we're athiests... why should we, right?

I don't believe that religion should be used as a tool for oppression, however. We should focus on sharing the love of God rather than "hey do this or die horribly." because I believe that using God as an instrument of oppression on other people is not of God. As a christian and a evangelist, my job is not to convert you or change your belief system, but rather it is to keep God a question in everyone's hearts.

And yes, historically religion has been used extensively in political organizations to sway people, make them afraid, etc. but God is what he is and always has been and always will be - he's someone thats constantly waiting on YOU and not whatever petty ideals or morals you know from your own truths.
              TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                Sorry to step onto Bio's turf about answering, but this is my perspective on this question.

Old and New Testament God are the same, however in the Old Testament, there obviously was no Jesus, so thus he was more vengeful because Jesus had not died for us to pay for our sins so that we might be able to return home ot Heaven. Though it does kind of confuse me a bit, how God is different in the two Testaments, however he blessed those who believed him in both Testaments.
                Basically, God has always been the same and will remain the same. Jesus was/is the pathway between man and God. To form a relationship with God it was easy in the Garden of Eden because well, He was right there. After the Fall, people found it more and more difficult to form a relationship with God due to all the worldliness. So Jesus came to die for our sins and rid us of the worldliness so that we could communicate with God better.
                thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by Dabram
                  What makes Christianity any more trustworthy than any other ancient religion?
                  This is a insanely good question, and the only answer is that it isn't. Not to a non-believer anyway. But what makes christianity different is that you can know God personally and He's not somewhere where you have to try to get to Him all the time. The cross did that for everyone.

First of all it's well known the Christian, Hebrew and Islamic god are all the same. (Allah is the arab translation of God, only reason Europeans started using Allah when talking about their god is because it was important for us to differ from them, which was a key-element in creating the European identity). Anyway, do you believe these are all the same god?
                  I know they are the same God.

If so, do you also believe that throughout the ages, since the idea of god(s) goes back to Mesopotamian times, everyone was basically worshipping the same god but until the Christians everyone got it 'wrong'. And what about the religions from civilizations on continents who had never even heard of a place called Jeruzalem. Now that's kind of cruel of God, isn't it?
                  The ideas of God changes as society changes. But the God of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity has always been the same. Within these three religions I believe we are all after the kingdom of heaven, but seeking a different face of God. It isn't my place to judge whether or not theyre going about it the same way as I am, by accepting his son.

What I also never understood is if there's a God why would he be so vague about what's the true way to worship him. All he ever did for us was to create a lot of different religions, who've been in a clash with eachother. Resulting in many religious wars in his name between civilizations since the ancients times (example: Crusades, Jihad).
                  I think I'd rather go to hell than believe in a god who is as shitty at his job as he is. And to all Christians, I hope for you guys God isn't in charge of Heaven aswell, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised it's an even bigger shithole than earth is. (<insert Ricky Gervais quote from 'Animals' and/or Eddie Izzard quote from 'Glorious'>)
                  Whats awesome about saying God did a horrible job is to ignore what a horrible job we did as his children. Religious differences has caused a lot of pain and suffering, no doubt. Which is why I said being careful of dogma has become paramount in this world of differences. Going after your truth and God's truth are two entirely different things.
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                    Sorry to step onto Bio's turf about answering, but this is my perspective on this question.
                    Actually please do... I have a feeling there are going to be questions i'm going to miss as this thread continues so I'll need all the help I can get ^-^
                    TelCat> i dont

Comment

COme on Bio ...answer my question above!

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                        Before Christianity was founded (that the right word?), did everybody go to hell?
                        This is the first time I've been asked this and its a doozy. The easy answer would be that before Christianity there wasn't a hell to go to. But did this apply to all those sentient homo sapiens or even earlier? I honestly don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this a bit better...
                        TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found
                          COme on Bio ...answer my question above!
                          I can't thats a grown up question and somehow whenever you ask me a question I keep thinking about how to best answer it relating to fiberglass products!

Old and new testament maybe? Many relate to Jesus because He is the personal savior in the triune God of Christianity.
                          TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
                            The "unconditional love" part you just described is taken out of context when used as an argument against christianity. Think of this in more worldly terms - you have a father. Yes, he loves you always, no matter what it is that you do but he can't -force- you to accept him as your father. I.E. he can't MAKE you love him back or want to be with him. So he waits patiently (infinitely patiently, in Jesus' part) for you to just open the door a little bit and actually talk to him or maybe ask him a question... which we never do when we're athiests... why should we, right?
                            Actually, the "unconditional love" part I described is what I have been told is the reason why I should be a Christian. So, you agree that Christian love is not unconditional? And if the answer is no, then I would argue that you don't understand what true love really s.

In the past, I have accepted Jesus, but the lord did not answer the door. So I have decided not to waste my life second-guessing myself on this subject. He isn't waiting patiently by the door, because there is no door. I played by Christianity's rules, but it turns out the game is rigged.

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
                              If you love your family member unconditionally (as in the Christian claim of love is), do you really think that you aren't being a total fuckhead by sending him to his/her death by not letting them into the storm shelter?

There's a name for that in the real world: Criminally negiligent homicide.
                              I can play the question back to you: If you spent all your life trying not to be with someone (for whatever reason) that loved you and waited for you, do you deserve to be with that person just as you find out how messed up things are when they're not around?

For the flaming sulfer and etc. Personally I just see it as a eternity without God or an eternity with God - and we only have this lifetime to choose.
                              TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
                                This is the first time I've been asked this and its a doozy. The easy answer would be that before Christianity there wasn't a hell to go to. But did this apply to all those sentient homo sapiens or even earlier? I honestly don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this a bit better...
                                The Jewish Faith notes that for one, they do not beleive that Jesus was messiah and are still waiting for him to come. 2nd, they also never have nor still to this day beleive in Hell. Actually Hell was a most noted addition along with purgatory, during the years of the Spanish Inquisition...Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition! Thank Dante Alghieri for his fictional writings he was sanctioned to do for the Catholic Church back in the day. Makes for great reading in todays standards. Dante's Inferno!

EDIT: Bio....I like the Fiberglass reference
                                Last edited by 404 Not Found; 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X