Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma ftw.

Comment

bleh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally think plasmas dont have as "sharp" a picture as LCD's, i.e. the picture looks more natural, and as plasmas can represent a "true" black, contrast is slightly better and more vivid.

now the KURO wasn't available when I was TV shopping

Im not 100% up to date on plasma development, but Plasma screens are still limited to a certain life, older models were as "low" as 100,000hrs, newer ones were up to 300,000hrs (assuming brightness is very low), after that.. throw it in the garbage.

Which is a bit of a letdown really, after spending €3000+ on a TV and having to toss it.

I personally still prefer the picture on LCD's over that of Plasmas, I happen to like the sharpness, and the loss of a true black doesnt bother me. That said, I don't own either, I've got a Sony SXRD (3LCD) Panel, which suited my taste better than any Plasma or LCD at the time.

It is thicker than a Plasma or LCD, but I've got ample space, and I've got to change the bulb at some point, but price/performance wise I'd rate it above any plasma/LCD on the market atm. 52" Full HDTV for under €2000. 70" was around €4000.
      Last edited by Displaced; 11-30-2008, 12:02 AM.
      Displaced> I get pussy every day
      Displaced> I'm rich
      Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
      Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
      Thors> prolly
      Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

I can't stand the 'sharper' image of an LCD. (ie. the "eyeliner" around every object). But just like sound, beauty is in the eye of the buyer.
        The latest models (end 2008) of the LCD's are very close to plasma quality though, IMO. I don't know the lifetime of my plasma, but it took me almost a year to get 750 hours, so after 100,000 hours I know I have a new tv.

The new tv is going to be an OLED though.

Comment

projectors are better than both LCDs and plasmas
          I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
          I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

boo

Comment

My friend bought a 52 inch plasma tv to use as his computer monitor......he burned his WoW UI into the screen, took it back and exchanged it for an lcd of the same size....based on that I vote LCD
              TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
              TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
              Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
              - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
              Originally posted by kthx
              Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma 1080P and love it. I do not play games for hours on end on it and from my research there is only a slight chance of having a burn-in on plasmas with their advancements. My plasma actually moves the pixels over 3 spots when the same color is in that spot so long. I have never noticed the movement but in the owners manual it says it does. Right now the only product on the market that produces video in 1080P is a blue-ray player and some HD camcorders. If you are watching HD cable you are watching 720P. The majority of high quality PS3 video games are 720P. Eventually cable companies will boost signal to 1080P but no projected date is set. I will say that watching a blue-ray movie or HD cable (even 720P) is far better than a regular DVD or standard cable. Also most people will agree that 50" is the minimum screen size that a difference between 720 and 1080 can be noticed.

All of my research supports what is found on Cnet.com and has already been posted by GuruMeditation.

http://bestbuy-cnet.com.com/4351-12658_7-6583301.html

The only way to tell what is best for you is to go into a store and compare the pictures side by side. When I was in the store the best picture I saw was a Pioneer 42". Looking at the specs on the tv it had a very high black level compared to the other TVs but carried a price tag of $2k more also. The best picture for the money was the Panasonic at the time. I preferred the way plasma looked over lcd and they were about the same in price. I do notice a glare if i have blinds open so if you can not control lighting do not get a plasma. Also my plasma does produce heat off of the front of it so I would assume it uses lots of energy but have not noticed the difference on my electric bill. So in my mind if you want picture quality go with plasma. If other factors are determining your decision LCD might be the option for you. DLP is a wild card. Biggest draw back is they are not as flat as plasma/LCD. The ones i looked at were at least 6 inches thick. The other draw back is the viewing angle, I am not sure exactly what the viewing angle is but they are projection so you get the point. DLPs are extremely light though. I helped a friend move and his DLP could be picked up by one hand. Another fact: DLPs are generally cheaper than the same size and quality LCD and plasma. Good luck finding the right TV for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Izor View Post
                  projectors are better than both LCDs and plasmas
                  Now that's a very good post. It's well funded, good insights, and even with all that background knowledge, you managed to write it in such a easy way tha even the commen people can understand it...

Anyways, peace maker, a 1080p is only good use for you if your closer than 5 feet of it! That was, for me at least, a reason to buy 720p. Because all the content is in 720p (tv series). So this way the tv doesn't have to do any up/down scaling.

As an addition, I would advice a HTPC or Network Media Tank (cheaper) to anyone, so you can watch downloaded HD content. (google it if unfamilair)

Comment

Originally posted by SEAL View Post
                    As an addition, I would advice a HTPC or Network Media Tank (cheaper) to anyone, so you can watch downloaded HD content. (google it if unfamilair)
                    or....a dvr

Comment

Originally posted by SEAL View Post
                      Anyways, peace maker, a 1080p is only good use for you if your closer than 5 feet of it! That was, for me at least, a reason to buy 720p. Because all the content is in 720p (tv series). So this way the tv doesn't have to do any up/down scaling.
                      The larger the TV the more you will tell a difference between 1080 and 720.

Comment

Working...
                      X