Canadian Gov't falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cops View Post
    Yeah, a backup plan right now is key. I think I'll apply to U of T for next September. I was thinking of getting a double major in English and Political Science. I think I might be able to knock a year or two off with my Diploma.

The original plan was to work for a year or two and make as much money as possible, while gaining amazing work experience. I was then going to apply to University and spend two years getting a degree, then an additional year getting my masters.
    What you study should be something you're interested in... but if your real dream is working in media, would an english/politics degree help you much unless you want to be a reporter covering politics? Perhaps a degree in something that would help you find a job? I'm not sure how the media world works though, maybe that is the best path.
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Comment

A diploma in Broadcast Journalism is more than adequate enough to get myself a job in the media. I think the problem isn't that I'm not qualified enough to get a job it's that there's no jobs. People are being laid off and other companies are on a hiring freeze.

A lot of people working in the media right now don't even have a certificate or a diploma. Once people get laid off they'll realize they might have worked for a news company for five or ten years but they worked their way up in that company without having any sort of 'real' education.

The issue isn't that what I'll have isn't good enough to find a job, because the standards right now for all news companies is either a diploma or degree in journalism. Plus I have the leg up on University grads because programs like Ryerson University spend the first two years focusing primarily on theory, thus their graduates technical skills are no more or less advanced than ours. In some cases we're more prepared for the working world.

As far as my desire to get a degree in English and Politics it relates back to me wanting to specialize in politics in the media as well as having something to fall back on. I figure having two or three subjects I could possibly teach (English, Politics, and Journalism) is pretty awesome if you ask me. Media is one of the most unstable industries a person can get into, for me to feel comfortable to buy a house or start a family I want to know that if I lose my job I have some options.

Right now I'm a Department Assistant in my course, our sister course is a graduate-certificate program for University graduates who want to spend a year in College getting technically equipped to work in the media. From my experience 80% of them are not capable of using half the equipment in the Broadcasting world, they might have degrees in English, Psychology, etc but they also have no ability to do anything with their degree. A degree can be very useful, but for a lot of people at Sheridan in this graduate program they've wasted four years in University getting something while having no clue what type of field they wanted to get into. It's like they show up at Sheridan green with their degree thinking they know what they're doing and then in a year they're expected to learn how to become a journalist. It's fucking ridiculous if you ask me, and coming from someone who doesn't have a degree in Politics or even English they really are a bunch of illiterate uniformed twits.

This is what I'm looking at

In four months I'll have;

A Diploma in Broadcast Journalism

Next year I want to work towards getting;

A Degree in Political Science and English (University of Toronto)

Two years after that I want to spend a year and a half getting;

one of the following at Ryerson;

Journalism (MA)
      Media Production (MA)
      Documentary Media (MFA)
      Last edited by Cops; 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM.
      it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I think you've misunderstood me.

My point is, if you're already qualified for something which is your goal, then if you're going with a backup, it should be directly helping you to get a job somewhere else if your dream is not accessible.

So if you want to get your degree to be a teacher, then that's fine. But I just wasn't sure if you were getting it more as an 'add on for the time being while the market sucks' or as a 'this will help me find another job' type deal.

The worst thing you can do is go to school, rack up a bunch of degrees, which in the end are meaningless to finding a real job in the real world as lots of people tend to do these days.
        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

gonna be a fireman.
          Originally posted by turmio
          jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
          Originally posted by grand
          I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeenyuss View Post
            gonna be a fireman.
            already beat you, aiming to be one by april
            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Ndp?

Should Jack Layton be getting all the credit for the coalition?
              Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
                I think you've misunderstood me.

My point is, if you're already qualified for something which is your goal, then if you're going with a backup, it should be directly helping you to get a job somewhere else if your dream is not accessible.

So if you want to get your degree to be a teacher, then that's fine. But I just wasn't sure if you were getting it more as an 'add on for the time being while the market sucks' or as a 'this will help me find another job' type deal.

The worst thing you can do is go to school, rack up a bunch of degrees, which in the end are meaningless to finding a real job in the real world as lots of people tend to do these days.
                I see what you're saying, and you're right. I had several discussions about my plan to go back to school and better qualify myself for a more stable job market, but I think it's important for me to see what I can do with my diploma regardless if we're in a tough economy or not. Especially before I throw in the towel and say, fuck it, I'm becoming a teacher.

Going back to school is something I'll definitely do, but I feel like If I do go back in April or September then I'm hiding from the government and my responsibilities.
                it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Working...
                X