Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is/are your favorite fictional character(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
    I've read all of Brian Jacques' books. I'm even currently reading his new one; Doomwyte.

Animal Farm is considered a very good book and is often a book chosen for reading in most schools. Redwall series is no different, but the case is medieval fantasy.
    And the political undertones are nonexistent.

I'm not a fan. I don't think Brian Jacques is a bad author, but I've never been a fan. I put him on par with Rowling, Grisham, Koontz, Clancy, Dan Brown etc. Authors that found their niche and write solid books in one category.

Lately I've been in the mood for living novelists. I just ordered House of Sand and Fog and The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus. I've been powering through the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and reading American Psycho on the side.

Anyone else read good books lately?
    Originally posted by Tone
    Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer View Post
      Anyone else read good books lately?
      The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
      The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
      Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
      The Saga of the Volsungs (meh...it was ok)
      ^ since christmas

Currently Reading:
      The Prince by Machiavelli
      The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
      The Brothers Karamosov by Dostoevsky
      Perfume by Patrick Suskind

In Line:
      Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
      Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
      Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard
      Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
      TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
      TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
      Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
      - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
      Originally posted by kthx
      Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Hence, why I said the case was of medieval fantasy.

I like Brian Jacques, cause no one is more consistent with his material, yet creative as fuck. The guy is a great descriptive writer (he makes forest food sound fucking delicious), writes great riddles, has great characters, writes more song lyrics than Eminem. He's just an overall great writer. He doesn't get his credit due cause he writes books with animals as his characters, and his main target audience are kids (but hey he also did humans once too, Check out The Flying Dutchman, and The Angel's Command)

---
        This is not a book, but you should check out this movie sometime:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_From_Earth
        sigpic
        All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Summa View Post
          The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
          The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
          Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
          The Saga of the Volsungs (meh...it was ok)
          ^ since christmas

Currently Reading:
          The Prince by Machiavelli
          The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
          The Brothers Karamosov by Dostoevsky
          Perfume by Patrick Suskind

In Line:
          Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
          Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
          Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard
          Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
          Oscar Wao and Perfume were both surprisingly great books.
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

I saw the movie Perfume, which was pretty awesome
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
              Hence, why I said the case was of medieval fantasy.

I like Brian Jacques, cause no one is more consistent with his material, yet creative as fuck. The guy is a great descriptive writer (he makes forest food sound fucking delicious), writes great riddles, has great characters, writes more song lyrics than Eminem. He's just an overall great writer. He doesn't get his credit due cause he writes books with animals as his characters, and his main target audience are kids]
              this times a billion

his books were a huge part of what got me into reading, and prepared me for the epic battles of LOTR

i don't know if any of you caught the animated tv show when it was out, but at the end of each show he was on (IRL) talking about this character or the inspiration for that scene

he's really fucking awesome and literally seems like a grandpa that tells these types of stories to his kids during a snowstorm
              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue View Post
                he's really fucking awesome and literally seems like a grandpa that tells these types of stories to his kids during a snowstorm
                And that's exactly what he is. A story teller. I read the majority of the Redwall series between the ages of 12 and 15 and it is definitely a quality series. However (generally speaking, I don't want to get too much into specifics) I put fiction writers into two categories. Those who write literature and those who write stories. Jacques is one of the better story writers of our time and like squeez said he is there with Rowling, Koontz, Clancy, etc. But to claim that the Redwall series is on par with literature is a travesty in my mind. It's good shit, but it ain't shit compared to Hemmingway.
                TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
                TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
                Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
                - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
                Originally posted by kthx
                Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Bigwig from Watership Down, great book, great character.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Charlie Kelly

Comment

• Twilight was a good book, not because the plot was good (which it really wasn't - she relied on deus ex machina way too much and spent most of the 1st book talking about nothing and then started the plot and finished it in 3 chapters), but because she's a good character writer. The only reason I really liked the books so much was because I really like the characters, which she developed quite well.
                      Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                      1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                      1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                      1:Chao <ER>> at all
                      1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                      1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                      Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                      Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

• Originally posted by kthx View Post
                        Bigwig from Watership Down, great book, great character.
                        redwall series was actually stemmed from this book, so for once I have to agree with wark.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Summa View Post
                          And that's exactly what he is. A story teller. I read the majority of the Redwall series between the ages of 12 and 15 and it is definitely a quality series. However (generally speaking, I don't want to get too much into specifics) I put fiction writers into two categories. Those who write literature and those who write stories. Jacques is one of the better story writers of our time and like squeez said he is there with Rowling, Koontz, Clancy, etc. But to claim that the Redwall series is on par with literature is a travesty in my mind. It's good shit, but it ain't shit compared to Hemmingway.
                          who was comparing it to hemmingway?

I'm pretty sure it just started out as "redwall is awesome" and then squeez had to come and be negative nancy on our parade
                          My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

• what separates literature from those stories as you put it, is simply the message behind the writing.

If it affects your fantasy, your imagination, then it's a story.

If it affects society, your ideas, then it's literature.
                            sigpic

Comment

• itt twforums becomes nobel-worthy art critics
                              NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                                itt twforums becomes nobel-worthy art critics
                                or nobel winning economists
                                sigpic