X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wb's are fecking boring.
    some are wise, some are otherwise

1: PolluX> People say I talk too much
    1: Louis XV> Dude you seriously need to stfu!
    1: Louis XV> I still love you, k?

Comment

vet chat is full of gay p3opl3.

Edit: Too obvious

Comment

When I gave a damn about dueling only two players left me seriously impressed (in birds).

Jack, Sudden, you guys were kick ass I'll always remember playing against Jack in a TWL game with Alco. I got the impression Jack and I were having a 1v1 wheras the other 4 were fighting each other elsewhere, and during that time Jack gave me my first real pounding (I think it was 6 kills for Jack and 3 for me.)

Sudden I played once in a tourney. I had one of my best games ever, and still came up short losing 8-10.

Fiery and Epi : Typical vet words. The average level of skill in this seasons TWL is most likely better than that of three seasons ago. All those people who were quite good before or average are improved. It's the general consensus of squads in SVS. The squads in Pro League in SVS a few seasons ago (showing the skill they did then) would be given a fair fight in AML these days, and be blown away in Pro.

Back in those days you were the best in the park. Not many people were really challenging, and the best grouped up so they could beat down the others. Tactics were new, it was the time of the creators of Subspace tactics. A time when the lack of res restrictions meant those with bigger monitors ruled the land.

You know why people enjoy basing more than dueling? Because it's the best format of league Trench Wars can offer.

Whilst the cream of the crop remains the best, the gap between the elite and the next few has shrunk so much that squads won't get as blown away as they were in the past. The skill gap is there, but it's shrinking.

Sure you can say you ruled the roost and now you don't give a damn. But even if you did give a damn, that roost wouldn't always be yours. Because there is a whole crop of new guys out there, and you know what? Some of them have more natural skill than you did. They can view quickly those tactics you took months to learn (or even see... or in some cases I'll concede, invent.)

As for your idea on the talent spread. You know, there is more than one skill in Subspace. Birds requires a certain set of fine skills which need to be perfected. Basing requires a whole set of different skills which then have finer points.

Epinephrine : Nah the old era will never occur again. And honestly, thank goodness for that. The old crew could all get back together and there'd still be enough skilled people out there to fill up a few squads to give it a challenge. They can stack Elusive/Light/Rampage as much as they want, and even if they're favorites to win the title they aren't surefire favorites.

Everyone else : Don't believe the blab of this guy. And don't believe all of the better warbird players all think like this (despite the fact there are a lot of them). He only mentions the squads he recognised. For periods of time there were other squads better than the ones he mentioned. Even if you beat "vets" they shrug it off and say something along the lines of "stfu newb" so just don't give a damn. Look at the picture and decipher it for yourself. Anyone can talk big and ride the bench to a title/bragging rights.
        gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
        gravy_: Electric granny chariots
        gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Re: FieryFire's perspective on the history of Trench Wars Warbird Dueling

Originally posted by FieryFire

and i sonned him like 10-1 laff..easy, so i joined easily..fit well cuz they had alow res i had like 1600 when everone had 1280.. easy..

THis was almost at my prime..so u know..ff in his prime with 2048 res is like..laff..the best player in my time.
          For some reason im starting to think that the 'uberleetness' that was 'back then' has a very strong connection to the fact that in 1999 not many people had puters able to pull off that high resolutions, and after the res cap was put in TW, they stopped getting the magical 50-0 recs.
          Heynewbsiownuallcozmyparentsboughtmeafastputer?
          Incurable -_-

1:Eeks> well that bichix was trying to start conversation with me today
          1:Eeks> and got excited when i said i wanna go drink today =/
          1:Eeks> but i didn't propose anything
          1:Zloy> Why
          1:Eeks> i didn't have anything to fill that box zloy

Comment

you werent that good back then. you would be owned if you had been that good nowdays. because average skill level has risen. even more and more ppl are good now. before tw didnt have much of duelers, now it has. so dont even compare old times and now days. because tw is better now days. -nt-
            Mirror <ZH> omg it shark
            Mirror <ZH> this sucks
            Server> dont worry mirror
            Server> shark fits your tits
            Peace <ZH>> shut up
            Peace <ZH>> i do not apperciate you talking to my girlfriend in that manner

i.d.> Teach me how to not choke
            Witness> well first you put it in your mouth ... but not to long

1:Hercules> ghoul
            1:Hercules> im level 90
            1:Hercules> in 9d
            1:Hercules> bought a char off ebay
            1:Hercules> cost me $50 but was worth it

Comment

Re: FieryFire's perspective on the history of Trench Wars Warbird Dueling

From a true veterans point of view,
              I started off April 4th 1999
              Something doesn't quite add up.
              "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

You are an idiot and you could probably find better things to do with your time.
                Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

Re: Re: FieryFire's perspective on the history of Trench Wars Warbird Dueling

Originally posted by Jonas
                  Something doesn't quite add up.
                  He has been here 4 years.

I'll give you this FF. You're a good player. A really good player. When you're in the mood you're a decent guy. But you're also very ignorant, and have a lot of hangers on.

Reminds me of Tyson in some ways. Used to be the best, but now all washed up.
                  Last edited by GuruMeditation; 04-30-2003, 10:27 AM.
                  gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                  gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                  gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

"Old timey is the best timey."
                    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

ff <3 best post in TW forum history

that shit about basing is so true, basing is so much about luck and randomness. newbies get to feel important

i can only talk about the Siege era though, wasn't 'in the zone' during elusive days and before that. that's right crowd, Siege dissolved because we got too bored of owning everybody. i remember the last season we played I got a bit worried that people were too inactive, and they were, but ff and some others showed up to the playoff matches and it was done for since we really had no competition
                      jee

Comment

Anyone who was any good back then had to have a high res, not necessarily because they had skill. I had 800x600 rez back then $
                        chocolate gravy

Comment

To 'achieve' all of that you must have spent months playing this game. GET OUT MORE.
                          Originally posted by Facetious
                          edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

1. Most of your so called 'vet'-friends were powerhouses, is because there was no competition, now 600 ppl play every time u log on, back in '99 it was 60-100. So of course there was a lack of competition back in those days.
                            2. The only reason why these people were owning up elim is because they had 2048 res and others were playing with 800 and 1024 ... After lagrestrictions real skills were shown, and I don't remember seeing you or Sudden peak after. Also big ups to Jack for being one of in my eyes best wbs of all time, before and after lagrestrictions.
                            3. I have to agree that real duelingsquads didn't get their advantage from all big-res crap tho but from their teamingskills. And then they prove that that gives them great advantage in javs and basing aswell. But in javs that's mainly cuz the map is designed for wbs in base instead for javs. (it's a fucking disgrace)
                            4. Also basing has too much random factors, random damage for spiders and shrapnel. But that doesn't take away that there's of course a difference in skill between players. A lot of these newbies don't know how to combine there ships and what their duties are. (proven everyday again in ?go base)

ps. I remember dueling u in TWEL, giving me a 4:9 ahead making me feel all good, and then you washed my ears 10:9. -_-
                            Last edited by Dabram; 04-30-2003, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lite Brite
                              Anyone who was any good back then had to have a high res, not necessarily because they had skill. I had 800x600 rez back then $
                              Some of us got just as far playing on 1024 or 1280 our entire careers like me, Soul Burner and others im sure. And yes it is worth pointing out that after the res restriction came in, many players dropped way off in performance. Regardless of what some will claim, it wasnt because they stopped trying.

Comment

Defcon1 was a shitty squad when CoD and I ran it alone in early-mid 1999. Defcon1 had its hayday back when all the staff were in it in Summer 1998 (Akilla, MTN, Rectal, Iceman22, Ayden, Sknox, etc). Mad Green, Disobedience (CoD), and Lord Kefka (Me!) were the leaders. Mad Green disapeared for computer/GF reasons and we hated dealing with a 100 member squads full of staff political bullshit so we made LAME to piss people off by spawning them in public. (Elim wasn't really big then, at all)

We got bored with LAME at the beginning of the year since nobody fun to play was around (Gyromite's leader(s?) got banned for smod abuse heh), so we wanted to do some social engineering or something to pass the time. Circa Jan 1999 TW Elites was created by TOFU, UltraHLE, and some guy that still plays once in a while that starts with a D (not Droog or Dawnerz) was staff recently, because they were in Defcon1 still, as a part of Ma$e's attempt at running it in Nov/December 1998 after Mad Green had left in October and CoD and I left to form LAME the same month.

They were at first reluctant but went along with staying with the squad and giving the password to CoD (specifically the subsquad Defcon1 Elites) Then a database crash which reverted the password back to them encouraged them to want into LAME instead. We said no and they created TW Elites. Booyaa later joined them when we denied him. I regret this decision, as he's a pretty cool dude and Childrn of Night's older brother.

CoD and I sort of haphazardly recruited people and putzed around with Defcon1. We competed in TW Semi League a couple times. As firm proponents of the Slowbob's idiocy both squads refused to play in TWL. When we got bored of dealing with the bunch of idiots we recruited I made an agreement with an enterprising fellow named Flyzone who seemed eager to at least make a difference.

I would own the squad and ultimately be in charge, but he would run the day to day monkey behind the keyboard shit. He got pissy about me not wanting to change the banner so he told everyone I had said to switch over to a new squadname, that being "Defcon" and most people left. We got "Defcon" kicked out of leagues because of our staff connections and they went on to form "Backstab" (LOL!) and did fairly well with gents like Static Burn and DoA.

TW Elites would often pussy out of duels or get the shit beaten out of them when we faught them in elim or public. They never challenged us in TW Semi League and said "We arn't ready for you guys yet" when we challenged them. I'll give them credit for playing the give-a-shit game when it comes to championships and keeping track of their elim ratings. They were true pioneers with visions of bright grandeur as to what lay ahead in Trench Wars league play and the awesomeness that I'm sure it has become today.

So in conclusion:

Defcon1 wasn't shit, especially in leagues, ever. TW Elites gets the big shiny medal for starting the big dick competitions and lagging like shit. LAME wins for their ability to win elims left handed and for making Captain Pickle want to cry on LAME Monday. Whenever antiwarp got put in was when elim became meaningless. And WB dueling has always been more fun than elim. Thanks for your time.
                                Last edited by Childrn of Light; 04-30-2003, 04:29 PM.
                                LAME - http://lame.twzone.net

Comment

Working...
                                X