Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big is the World Cup where you are from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big is the World Cup where you are from?

Just wondering, especially for the Americans. How big is the World Cup where you are?

Here in Toronto, it's everywhere. Basically every bar/restaurant has an early morning/lunch/afternoon (for our timezone) world cup thing. There's cars all over the place with flags from various countries. During the last world cup when Italy won there was a HUGE Italian celebration like 300,000 people on the streets. All the TVs in all the stores are tuned into it, and at work as well.

It's a bit weird though because everyone's cheering for a different country as Canada sucks at soccer and didn't qualify, there isn't the kind of cohesion that we had during the Olympics where EVERYONE was cheering for our Hockey Team.

How is it around where you live?
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Pretty big in my area in California. Everybody's either cheering for the U.S. or Mexico (obviously) but it's being shown continually in sports bars all over the place.
    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

In Hong Kong, it's wild; although people usually root for the team/country they've bet on instead. Typical Chinois!

My facebook feed was spammed with the NBA finals rather than the world cup these past few days and my friend list is 90% Torontonians, so I assumed Toronto's been distracted these past few days. :P Probably by the final 16 and onward it'll be insane.

Comment

Oh hey Toronto,

The Cup is HUGE!!

Originally posted by Dr. Snyder
        I think pure pubs started the problem but regardless it looks like the LTers have died out so why doesn't anyone come up with an idea soley based on bring the newbs to this game. Fuck the vets this zone is dying cause people who have been playing to long can't stand change. Because this zone is some teri shivo shit right now and I gots no problem with knifing babies but leave the bitch alone.

Comment

I dont know how tall it is from my point of view

i would say like 3 inches or something

cnt be 2 accurate sry man

Comment

I lost $200 because shitty NZ score on overtime. So my WC is as big as 200 $1 dollars lined up in a straight line.
            DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
            Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
            Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
            -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

big enough to pretend to care about it

small enough to not care about it

can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

When I went to Happy Hour with some coworkers, everyone was pretty much ignoring the game that was on (I think it was Korea vs Brazil). I was talking to some of them about it, and most said that they were kind of sort of following USA, but that was all. However, there is this very loud Romanian woman, and her enthusiasm more than made up for everyone else.
                Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                1:Chao <ER>> at all
                1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Well Ireland didn't qualify so it isn't as big as it could have been here :P

Still even a non sports bar i was in before the world cup was gearing up for it and for some reason i don't fully understand it was adorned in only Spain flags and no other country ^_^ i'm pretty skint atm so i've not been in any bars for the WC so far but my friends i like are pretty boring nowadays so it would have been me dragging them anyway

but yeah in work etc it would be talked about alot and sweep stakes etc take place. England are in it so understandably the main UK channels are promoting it heavily and BBC and ITV are free to air and have the WC so it's impossible to escape and supermarkets etc do discount beer etc and promotions.

i love football so it's all good fun for me and i watch all the england games hopeing they lose as a bit of banter
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

Was at a Dave & Busters the other day, stopping in to pick up a to go order and a game was on...honestly I didn't see who was playing. Probably already know I am not following it. But out of the umpteen TV's all over the place, there was a good crowd there to watch and drink.

Now that the NBA finals are over, perhaps there will be more attention given to the cup in my area, but more or less it has been Baseball and the NBA finals dominating most of the sports media....that and not to leave out, coverage of Tiger Wood's play at the moment during the tournament.
                    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Hi ppl..Mega Newbie here.

Well u know.. I live in Brazil..

ppl here LOVE soccer... 5 times champions!! EZ!

Well...here in my city.. people are starting to put brazilian flags on their cars.. like this

http://img.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/im...4_7669.jpg&v=E

i decided to record a movie with my cellphone while on a car to count how many cars would appear with the flags...

the result was more than 2 per minute. I'm gonna upload the video on youtube soon.. when i learn how to do it and have time to do it. Kisses.
                      Mega Newbie
                      TWLD Season MVP - 3 times
                      TWLD Captain/wb player Champion - Stray
                      TWEL wb and spid Champion!
                      TWLD final's chocker - 3 times
                      TWLJ bencher Champion
                      TWLB bencher Champion
                      Inactive Player

Comment

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
                        Hi ppl..Mega Newbie here.

Well u know.. I live in Brazil..

ppl here LOVE soccer... 5 times champions!! EZ!

Well...here in my city.. people are starting to put brazilian flags on their cars.. like this

http://img.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/im...4_7669.jpg&v=E

i decided to record a movie with my cellphone while on a car to count how many cars would appear with the flags...

the result was more than 2 per minute. I'm gonna upload the video on youtube soon.. when i learn how to do it and have time to do it. Kisses.
                        Yeah those are the same kind of flags that are running all around Toronto. Except that here every car is cheering for a different country. Haven't seen any American flags though :x
                        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                        www.animeslice.com

Comment

What sport is Canada good at?

Didn't make group play in soccer.
                          Don't have a decent football league.
                          Don't have a decent baseball team.
                          Don't have a decent basketball team.
                          Can't even win the cup in the only sport they are supposed to be decent at.

What a terrible country full of terrible people.
                          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

well they got good weed at least
                            sigpic
                            All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                              What sport is Canada good at?

Didn't make group play in soccer.
                              Don't have a decent football league.
                              Don't have a decent baseball team.
                              Don't have a decent basketball team.
                              Can't even win the cup in the only sport they are supposed to be decent at.

What a terrible country full of terrible people.
                              curling.
                              There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X