help a brother (sister) out - friend moving to washington DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help a brother (sister) out - friend moving to washington DC

as the title says, if you know anything about washington, help a brotha out.

my good irl friend julia is moving to washington for at least 6 months and she has a few questions she would like to have answered. i of course instantly told her i can provide information because of awesome internet subspace pilots with lots of knowledge about everything.

questions:

where is it possible to live? she has apparently heard that it's quite unsafe around town, dc seems to have the highest murder rate in the whole of US? She will be working "in the Cannon office building, which is right across the street fromthe Capitol South metro stop."
    I'm pretty certain she doesn't want to buy/rent a car, so public transportation is a definite must wherever she would live. As she will still be studying, she won't have endless $, thus the apartment should be as cheap as possible. This is the time where you single goodlooking men should mention your cellar or something

she will be reading this thread and i will write more questions if she has any!

tl;dr : say where my friend should live in washington

ty
    Originally Posted by HeavenSent
    You won't have to wait another 4 years.
    There wont be another election for president.
    Obama is the Omega President.
    http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Washington is the capital of the united states of america but it's not it's biggest city

i hope i helped
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Comment

off topic:
      she was one of the 2 girls who came along with u first time u went to a'dam right?

if so: hi!

on topic:
      does she have a visum yet? think u need one before u can even get housing in the usa?! and u say shes going to be studying there, so wouldnt it be the easiest to apply for student housing?!

Comment

she will have a visum and she's going to do an internship or something equivalent to that (working, not studying) so there won't be any student housing...

where are all the dcers when you need them huh

edit: oh and it's another julia, bram
        Originally Posted by HeavenSent
        You won't have to wait another 4 years.
        There wont be another election for president.
        Obama is the Omega President.
        http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

adam's morgan is more expensive than other areas, but it is also one of the safest and nicest areas. it also contains a lot of night life and foreign food.
          TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
          TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
          Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
          - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
          Originally posted by kthx
          Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

must have a roof to smoke weed on
            can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Originally posted by Da1andonly View Post
              should mention your cellar or something
              lollllllll fu

Comment

Originally posted by Da1andonly View Post
                as the title says, if you know anything about washington, help a brotha out.

my good irl friend julia is moving to washington for at least 6 months and she has a few questions she would like to have answered. i of course instantly told her i can provide information because of awesome internet subspace pilots with lots of knowledge about everything.

questions:

where is it possible to live? she has apparently heard that it's quite unsafe around town, dc seems to have the highest murder rate in the whole of US? She will be working "in the Cannon office building, which is right across the street fromthe Capitol South metro stop."
                I'm pretty certain she doesn't want to buy/rent a car, so public transportation is a definite must wherever she would live. As she will still be studying, she won't have endless $, thus the apartment should be as cheap as possible. This is the time where you single goodlooking men should mention your cellar or something

she will be reading this thread and i will write more questions if she has any!

tl;dr : say where my friend should live in washington

ty

I've lived and worked in the DC area for the past 5 years. DC is like any other city, it has bad parts, and it has good parts. My suggestion would be to not live in DC, but to live in northern virginia or Maryland (silver spring area, etc). If her school is by a metro, then all she needs to do is find a place that is metro accessible. The rent by the metro is obviously higher, but the convenience is worth it. I've lived in the Clarendon/Court house corridor for the past 4 years, and it's been AWESOME. There is shopping, dining, public transportation, etc. There are also trails here if you want to bike into DC.

I live about 2 blocks away from the metro (orange) and pay about $1000 a month in rent. The question is what her range is. If her range is $800 and below, Alexandria (blue/yellow lines) might be a better option, or somewhere farther away on the orange line and share a place with more than 1 person.

Which university is she attending?
                TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                TelCat> i dont

Comment

visum = visa???
                  sigpic
                  All good things must come to an end.

Comment

If you're going to be commuting to South Capitol, I personally wouldn't pick Adams Morgan just because it isn't near any Metro (subway) station and it's halfway across the city. If you're ok with taking a bus everywhere it's ok though, it's a nice area. You can actually go up more northwest, to like Tenleytown and have more options when it comes to transportation. You can definitely get around without a car, a lot of people who live in the city don't even own one. When they need to go places that aren't otherwise reachable they use like Capital Bikeshare or Zipcar as appropriate.

I'm not sure what kind of budget your friend is working with, but Eastern Market might be a reasonable choice. The area is actually a lot better after the baseball team moved in, and I would still consider DC as a whole a fairly safe city if you know what you're doing. My friends and I go out into DC all the time and it's never been a problem, it's a city set up for tourists (people your friend will probably come to hate). One of the nice things is that all of the transitions are pretty gradual, if you start heading into a more shady area you'll be able to tell before it really gets there. It's not like Baltimore, where you can cross the street and wonder where the hell you just ended up.

If it's only going to be for 6 months or so, your friend may want to look into just subletting from someone. It sounds a little weird but Craigslist is actually a pretty good way to find things like that.

Best of luck!
                    USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Go live with Obama
                      sigpic
                      All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Eh I've only been there a couple times and really disliked how crowded it was, but from what I did notice the public transportation in the city works really well. I wouldnt try to live in the city if I had to move out there so you probably should tell your friend to listen to the other people who have said that in this thread. Also look up crime for whatever area she decides on. Some areas are going to have cheap rent for a reason and that city, despite being the nation's capital, isnt known for being the safest in the US.
                        I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                        I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                          visum = visa???
                          yes, we euros are too dumb to realize it's a visa and not visum (in finnish it's called viisumi, and we think visa automatically means credit card, thus who can blame us!).

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                            yes, we euros are too dumb to realize it's a visa and not visum (in finnish it's called viisumi, and we think visa automatically means credit card, thus who can blame us!).
                            That is adorable.
                            4:BigKing> xD
                            4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                            4:BigKing> what did i do???
                            4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                            4:BigKing> ???? why though
                            4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                            4:BigKing> xD

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X