No announcement yet.

I guess now is as good a time as any...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really hard to explain things to you guys, you see the situation from a different angle than I do.

The way I see it is that, yes I am out there to teach and to do the Lord's will, that each individual person is important to him. During my mission, if the Lord wanted me to go out and feed starving children and build shelters for them, I would...and it wouldn't be a big deal. But doing all that stuff doesn't teach anyone about what is really important (to the church) and that's all about Jesus Christ and what not.

But that doesn't mean that our church isn't charitable, I'm sure you can search on the internet about what our church has done for needy in other countries.

I feel as though that you guys are looking at this whole matter on the opposite side as what I see (no, not Satan's side...I'm not a hardcore Baptist:P). I get the impression that ya'll look at this whole thing as a more wordly prospect than a spiritual one, which is entirely different. Basically I'm saying that it's hard for me to justify my cause for going on the grounds you expect me to, I justify them on spiritual grounds.

Besides, Christ taught that you should be charitable out of the goodness of your heart, not for the pride of men.
    Ну вот...

Comment

Volny had a good point, I spent 2 months in Ukraine, which is very similar to Russia, and I can tell you first hand that you will want to leave after a week, especially if you are used to living in a fully developed country like the US. The quality of life is alot lower, and just about everyone there is poor. For the most part, the only families that aren't poor are mafia members, and corrupt government officials.
      You also have to be really careful of what you say, because if someone on the street hears you speaking English, or Russian with an accent, you become an instant target for a mugging. Strangers tend to be hostile towards westeners because they are a little jealous of the life we lead. Be prepared to be forced to bribe people to get what you want (like access to public transport).
      On a lighter note, if you are smart and careful, you will meet alot of interesting people who are curious about where you come from, and will make good friends. I suggest you pick up a decent travellers guide to Russia, one that also has info on how to stay safe.
      Good luck, should be a good experience.

Comment

Well, I hope you get everything out of it that you're expecting to and I hope you meet some sweet little russian honeys along the way. To teach them about christ, I mean.

good luck.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by Amok
          Volny had a good point, I spent 2 months in Ukraine, which is very similar to Russia, and I can tell you first hand that you will want to leave after a week, especially if you are used to living in a fully developed country like the US. The quality of life is alot lower, and just about everyone there is poor. For the most part, the only families that aren't poor are mafia members, and corrupt government officials.
          You also have to be really careful of what you say, because if someone on the street hears you speaking English, or Russian with an accent, you become an instant target for a mugging. Strangers tend to be hostile towards westeners because they are a little jealous of the life we lead. Be prepared to be forced to bribe people to get what you want (like access to public transport).
          On a lighter note, if you are smart and careful, you will meet alot of interesting people who are curious about where you come from, and will make good friends. I suggest you pick up a decent travellers guide to Russia, one that also has info on how to stay safe.
          Good luck, should be a good experience.
          When did you go to the Ukraine? A guy in our ward went on his mission to the Ukraine, but this was back in 92 when they were still speaking Russian. And he didn't tell me about anything like that (except the bribery).

Besides, Yekaterinburg seems to be a big tourist city and I read somewhere that the MAFIA there doesn't really care about visitors. But I will be living there for 2 years....

Thanks BZ
          Ну вот...

Comment

I was there in 2001 and 2002 and was very lucky because my girlfriend at the time was there too, and she is originally from Ukraine, so I left all the talking up to her. I would hate to think what it would have been like if I were there alone, or only with other tourists.
            Hopefully Russia is a little better than Ukraine. It would be very handy if you know a local resident who can show you around, and inform you of the dangers etc. If you're prepared for the worst, it helps you to recognise and avoid possible dangers, so you should be fine
            Last edited by Amok; 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM.

Comment

aenima, you need to use this entire forum thread as practice. you've shared with us a personal journey and goal, and we, as outsiders to your cause, have reacted with varying degrees of cynicism, praise, you name it - we've said it.

if you find yourself having a hard time trying to explain what you're all about to us, faceless forum viewers who don't really give two shits about what you choose to do with your life, then how would you expect to deal with strangers face-to-face in a foreign land? you'll most likely get several of the same responses we've given you, but with the added flavor of being spit on in disgust or having your hand shaken in joyful agreement.

i personally don't care much for what you're setting off to do. i'm more a believer in personal, intimate spirituality that disregards the boundaries set in standard religions. but you seem intent on this goal, with good intentions, so i'd hope that this thread gives you new insight on view points that are not your own and better helps you prepare to deal with the same kinds of rejections and acceptances that you will encounter in russia, but without the safety of anonymity.
              plopp> im not a newbie ok!! im a butterfly waiting to come out of his coon!

Comment

good luck jesus man, convert some heathens for me.

Comment

nicely said, gerbz
                  http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Working...
                  X