Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rawanda issue was a Civil War. Would you like us to interfere with everything these countries manage to fuck up or only the special interest events that inflate your propaganda ?

Comment

I swear Canadian schools teach a "How to insult the United States using half-assed intelligence and skewed facts as a disguise" class.
      PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl Jam
        I swear Canadian schools teach a "How to insult the United States using half-assed intelligence and skewed facts as a disguise" class.
        - It's easy to throw the same argument back -
        I swear US schools teach a "How to justify every mistake as an act of nobility" class.
        - -

Didn't we just agree a few posts ago that these threads are pointless, PJ? Everyone claims to be right, and everyone is right for a part.

Comment

i guess you can say annux is a typical american. free thinking, says what he wants, fairly intelligent. Nobody likes you.

Comment

Sterotyping a people never works.
            Every country in the world, has good people and bad people.
            Smart and dumb alike.
            Countries that are in World Power, will of course be under the spotlight all the time. All countries will always look out for their intrests first, which of course will clash with other countries intrests, and the countries that have the most influence, will have an effect on a lot of what goes on in the world.
            America has alot of good people and should not be stereotyped as a country, same goes for China, European countries, everywhere. Canadians just like to remind the world they are independant of Americans, and want Americans to respect them. Americans do for most part. Right now, American intrests are clashing with European, Middle East, South America, everywhere so of course their will be problems. Their are problems going on in the world, America being the major power, can intervene, and will if its in their intrest. Canadian-American intrests are often tied toghther, but its much different if your from another area of the world. Could go on, but why bother will just say, respect ppl for who they are, not what country they are from. Dont base your feelings for them based on what their country does. Thats pretty clear anyways.

Rule

Comment

Annux vs. World

Annux 1
              World 0
              I fucking own you in the warbird, shut the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ennui
                I think us massacring hundreds and thousands of innocent people in a foreign country is absolutely wrong.

These days we have tactical and smart weapons that help reduce civilian deaths. To elminate it woul dbe impossible. But i gurantee we are killing more of who we are supposed to kill then ever before. Second point on this is since when does the U.S. jump in and start a war? Usually we are forced to come in and save those thousands of peoples lives due to the inability or lack of caring of other countries.

But, they did it to us first. I think our job is done there. We should have pulled out a while ago. It is like sex with a chick you don't want to get pregnant, but you do. You always wish you pulled out earlier.
                Bad analogy. A better analogy a starfish. You can cut off a starfish's arm and it will lose that arm for a while. But give it time and the arm grows back. We leave now and in 3 years Al Crappa is back up and running things again.

Our economy sucks, yes. Blame the rich republican fat cats who slaughtered our economy over the last 20 years, and mainly this past year with the likes of Enron and MCI screwing everyone. Fuck the fat cats, they suck.
                Dont stereotype about CEOs. Some of the richest ones are democrats. How has the economy been shattered? It a cycle. Busineess will go up and it will come down. In the last 20 years the stockmarket has reached the highest ever. Not every policy has worked but a majority of the time we have prospered greatly. We have developed into one of the greatest economic superpowers of the past centuries. The deception is going ot be bad for us for a while but as always it will turn back up. I say work on Big Cats earn more money for your business. Keep people employed and working. Help our economy.
                To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

CoL that was a great read. Many excellent points.
                  To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                  brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

Anyone know about Wizard's First Rule, by Terry Goodkind?

Comment

Canadian schools aren't stuffing any anti-American propeganda down our throats. Any Anti-American sentiment in this country has nothing to do with our education system. The dislike for the US spawns from their sticking their nose in everybody's business, the endless stream of media and shitty pop music, the fast food chains, and the holier than thou attitude. We just happen to be close enough that it's seeping into every part of our culture, particularly when our large dumbass population base eagerly soaks it up.

The US can and does do really stupid things. They're a superpower, and as such they're going to be stepping in when it's in their best interests (and theirs alone, often). But historically speaking they're probably the best superpower the world has ever seen. I think the world's safer with the US in control than any superpower this planet has ever seen. But then again I'm not living in a country who's really pissed them off.

People die as a result of the actions of the US. If we're going to look at the events of 911, yes it was a horrible event. I have no idea how or why these people would do what they did, but I don't for a second buy the reasons fed down to the North American population by the EXTREMELY small handful of media outlets, all of which are involved with lining the pockets of your capitalist politicians. We hear of foreign countries controlling the population through their media and nievely assume that it's not happening here, but it absolutely is. What happened on Sept 11 is sick and wrong, but something triggered it. And with politics and corporations and media all so closely intertwined, you can't just assume that you're getting the whole story.

And continuing with that, the US is stripping citizens of rights every day in the name of fighting terrorism. But terrorism doesn't surrender, and these rights aren't going to be restored. I admire the principles the US was founded on, but I truly don't believe they're holding steady to their core beliefs of privacy and free speach in light of everything that's happened. I'd encourage every one of you to take note of what's happening and fight to put a stop to it. Security is one thing, complete security is elusive. Safety is great, but not at the price of sacrificing everything your country believes in.

So yes, the US does do things wrong, it does ALOT of things wrong. All of our governments do, but you're the world's superpower and as such you're going to be making more cruicial decisions and thus more stupid mistakes. And when you make those mistakes, the whole world's going to be watching and will jump down your throat.

I don't agree with alot of US policy and methods of government, but I don't hate America. We're all guilty of being nieve and overlooking the faults of our own countries, so keep that in mind when you whine about why everyone hates the US so much.

Comment

Originally posted by arrogance
                        Canadian schools aren't stuffing any anti-American propeganda down our throats. Any Anti-American sentiment in this country has nothing to do with our education system. The dislike for the US spawns from their sticking their nose in everybody's business, the endless stream of media and shitty pop music, the fast food chains, and the holier than thou attitude. We just happen to be close enough that it's seeping into every part of our culture, particularly when our large dumbass population base eagerly soaks it up.

That is as much your fault as it is ours. You are not forced to listen to our music, buy our food, or get involved in our business'. But you must realize that cultural diffusion is bound to happen when countries are neighbors. That is no one's fault and can not be avoided. I don't want Avril Lavigne here just as much as you don't want NSync there. As for the education, I think it's the lack of it that has caused us to be in the situation that we are today.

The US can and does do really stupid things. They're a superpower, and as such they're going to be stepping in when it's in their best interests (and theirs alone, often). But historically speaking they're probably the best superpower the world has ever seen. I think the world's safer with the US in control than any superpower this planet has ever seen. But then again I'm not living in a country who's really pissed them off.

The US is involved in many partnership organizations besides NATO, you know. This means that there is alot of pressure from other countries on the US when certain shit hits the fan. Besides the fact that we have our own business interests to protect, we also have responsobilities on behalf of the countries we are allied with. I don't really like the term 'allied' because it makes me think of WW2, but with all due honesty -- one would be a fool to deny that the US is in better relationships with some countries over others. The actions in Afghanistan were not just done out of spite, anger, or fear. There is a reason why Tony Blair decided to openly support the US, causing many European countries to stick their noses on England. What we did was right, and it was in the best interest of everyone. You may not be able to admit it at this point, but you'll see it in the future.

People die as a result of the actions of the US. If we're going to look at the events of 911, yes it was a horrible event. I have no idea how or why these people would do what they did, but I don't for a second buy the reasons fed down to the North American population by the EXTREMELY small handful of media outlets, all of which are involved with lining the pockets of your capitalist politicians. We hear of foreign countries controlling the population through their media and nievely assume that it's not happening here, but it absolutely is. What happened on Sept 11 is sick and wrong, but something triggered it. And with politics and corporations and media all so closely intertwined, you can't just assume that you're getting the whole story.

I don't understand? Are you claiming that the Government owns the Media or controls it in any way? Or that the media outlets can't properly bring out the information? Either way, you're about as wrong as you can get. The Media has had a terrible relationship with the Government ever since it aired anti-Vietnam protests live. The Government never had any power, whatsoever, over what is being or not being broadcast, save a censor system designed to protect kids. And we have more than enough media outlets, ranging from newsprograms on televisions, commentary on the radio, and first hand reports in the local newspapers. I don't know what more you want?

And continuing with that, the US is stripping citizens of rights every day in the name of fighting terrorism. But terrorism doesn't surrender, and these rights aren't going to be restored. I admire the principles the US was founded on, but I truly don't believe they're holding steady to their core beliefs of privacy and free speach in light of everything that's happened. I'd encourage every one of you to take note of what's happening and fight to put a stop to it. Security is one thing, complete security is elusive. Safety is great, but not at the price of sacrificing everything your country believes in.

I, nor anyone I know, have ever been searched, seized, violated, or insulted by an official of the government. Our privacy and personal freedoms are as much intact now as they were before 9/11. Just the other day, I saw a group of protestors marching against the bombing of Afghanistan at a local university. It was a small group, but they riled up a huge crowd of unhappy town residents and college staff. It almost got out of hand, but the police intervened. They protected the Protestors and sealed of the area because they were expressing their constitutional right to free assembly. What more can you ask for?

So yes, the US does do things wrong, it does ALOT of things wrong. All of our governments do, but you're the world's superpower and as such you're going to be making more cruicial decisions and thus more stupid mistakes. And when you make those mistakes, the whole world's going to be watching and will jump down your throat.

The world jumps down our throat a little too much, especially when very often it doesn't really know the true events of what happened or have a scope of all the information at hand.

I don't agree with alot of US policy and methods of government, but I don't hate America. We're all guilty of being nieve and overlooking the faults of our own countries, so keep that in mind when you whine about why everyone hates the US so much.

Well, with all the due respect, it doesn't really matter much to us whether you agree about US Policy or not. For 200+ years, we have managed to build a wealthy, powerful country based on the ideals of democracy and the acceptance of our fellow man. Through this process, we have allowed people of all colors and shapes to join us in a struggle for liberty, justice, and the pursuit for personal happiness. You may not like America, but don't wory -- we're not in the corner crying. The bottom line here is that we know we have made mistakes in the past and will make in the future, but we will continue to grow as a nation of free people and a nation of proud people, despite the opinions of cockeyed Euros.
                        Last edited by Annux; 08-27-2002, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annux
                          You may not like America, but don't worry -- we're not in the corner crying.
                          PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Originally posted by Annux
                            That is as much your fault as it is ours. You are not forced to listen to our music, buy our food, or get involved in our business'. But you must realize that cultural diffusion is bound to happen when countries are neighbors. That is no one's fault and can not be avoided. I don't want Avril Lavigne here just as much as you don't want NSync there. As for the education, I think it's the lack of it that has caused us to be in the situation that we are today.

The US is involved in many partnership organizations besides NATO, you know. This means that there is alot of pressure from other countries on the US when certain shit hits the fan. Besides the fact that we have our own business interests to protect, we also have responsobilities on behalf of the countries we are allied with. I don't really like the term 'allied' because it makes me think of WW2, but with all due honesty -- one would be a fool to deny that the US is in better relationships with some countries over others. The actions in Afghanistan were not just done out of spite, anger, or fear. There is a reason why Tony Blair decided to openly support the US, causing many European countries to stick their noses on England. What we did was right, and it was in the best interest of everyone. You may not be able to admit it at this point, but you'll see it in the future.

I don't understand? Are you claiming that the Government owns the Media or controls it in any way? Or that the media outlets can't properly bring out the information? Either way, you're about as wrong as you can get. The Media has had a terrible relationship with the Government ever since it aired anti-Vietnam protests live. The Government never had any power, whatsoever, over what is being or not being broadcast, save a censor system designed to protect kids. And we have more than enough media outlets, ranging from newsprograms on televisions, commentary on the radio, and first hand reports in the local newspapers. I don't know what more you want?

I, nor anyone I know, have ever been searched, seized, violated, or insulted by an official of the government. Our privacy and personal freedoms are as much intact now as they were before 9/11. Just the other day, I saw a group of protestors marching against the bombing of Afghanistan at a local university. It was a small group, but they riled up a huge crowd of unhappy town residents and college staff. It almost got out of hand, but the police intervened. They protected the Protestors and sealed of the area because they were expressing their constitutional right to free assembly. What more can you ask for?

The world jumps down our throat a little too much, especially when very often it doesn't really know the true events of what happened or have a scope of all the information at hand.
                            I know it's as much our fault as yours, we have a huge dumbass population base like everyone else. But in some instances it's NOT our doing, it's American corporations pushing their interests anywhere they can get their foot in the door.

US relations with other countries would obviously affect some of their decisions, but I don't think anyone can claim that they're not making some decisions based solely on their own interests, and sometimes those decisions are downright evil. Previous posts in this thread will support that claim, so I'm not going to rehash them. Why do I think Tony Blair openly supported US interests? Maybe because a terrible thing had happened to them, maybe because a little kissing the ass of the world superpower can't be bad for a countries economy. And I don't believe a majority of Europe was not fond of their decision, as I understand it the US has received a great deal of support in their "war" from many European countries. And in some ways I do think the US actions in the middle east were caused by spite and fear. You can't declare war on a force that you can't see. But the US had to do something following 911, and so they sent a massive military force to the middle east, along with support from dozens of other countries around the world to wage war on an enemy that simply can't be fought in such a manner. But what else could they have done? I have no idea. But their choice is costing more innocent lives, that can't be denied.

And yes I'm implying that the government controls the media. Or rather, I'm implying that the government and the corporations are the same. (with corporations including the big media outlets) They're all feeding you propeganda, it's happening in every country of the world and we're all nieve to ignore that. But yes, I think that officials need money to get elected, corporations need laws to get passed for their own interests, corporations shell out to political campaigns, corporations pressure government for their own game, and politicians in turn make their decisions under heavy influence. And yes you're getting "first hand reports" but you're not getting the real information about just what the US did to piss these people off to such a point. (atleast I don't think so, but I could be wrong) Governments are doing things behind the scenes always, all of them, not just the US.

And no, the world does not jump down your throats too often. Being a superpower entails that. If you want to live in an economic and military powerhouse, then you're going to have to deal with that. As self-proclaimed protectors of the planet you have to be held accountable for what you do, otherwise your alliances breakdown and your superiority ceases to be a benefit to the rest of the world. When that happens, then superpowers end up dismantled. You can't expect the world to sit back and accept everything your nation does just because they're powerful, or have done good things in the past.

And yes I know it doesn't matter what I think about US policy. This is a thread about "why everyone hates the US", so I'm offering my views on why, and I think that's ok. And while you may or may not have had any experience with your rights being stripped, I'd hold fast to my belief that it's simply because you're not open to seeing it. The US is encouraging it's own citizens to spy on one another, facial scanning in public places, xray weapon scanning in airports which essentially allows officials to view directly through passengers clothing (not implemented, just being tested somewhere, Orlando I think), relaxing phone tapping law, search and seizure restrictions, etc. You may not have experienced any of this, but talk to anyone of middle eastern descent and I'm guessing you'll hear a different story.

For 200+ years, we have managed to build a wealthy, powerful country based on the ideals of democracy and the acceptance of our fellow man. Through this process, we have allowed people of all colors and shapes to join us in a struggle for liberty, justice, and the pursuit for personal happiness.

As patriotic as that is, it's the exact sort of propeganda much of the world accuses your country of spreading. But as I said, I really think the US is the best superpower this planet has ever seen, and I mean that in the sense of they've committed LESS terrible acts and made fewer poor decisions. So they have to be given props for that.

Comment

I'm far too apathetic (in general that is) to make any solid points in this thread, however, I'll say this:

I think I want to try living in Australia for awhile. It just seems as though you never hear anyone bitching about Australia, ya know?
                              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mythrandir

Everytime I hear "God bless <insert country name here>" I either rofl or puke.
                                I'm with you on that one. Annux said that it's just a phrase and that it doesn't really mean anything, but ever since 9-11, it seems as if "God bless America" has become our predominant rallying cry. Everyone thinks God is on their side. If we beat the terrorists, it's because God was on our side. If they somehow prevail, they'll think it was because God was on their side. The fact that God is obviously on the side of whichever country is the best at fighting wars seems pretty ludicrous to me. It's the worst possible rallying cry we could come up with, in my book. We have American flags all over the place, and while I certainly don't have a problem with the people who put them up for support of people who are sacrificing or have sacrificed for our country, in general, I read all the American flags on cars, etc as more of a "we're the best, fuck everyone else" kind of statement.
                                -Face
                                5:gen> man
                                5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Working...
                                X