No announcement yet.

Help the basing community; let new people play ?go base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice job stabwound you are right. For instance, ever since ive been playing (been a little over a year now)... ive always sticked to wb because its the (popular) ship. i go to base and say to myself let me try this and see how it is. i never ever get picked. its a sad thing because when i bd its just as fun as dd i would love to see hundreds of squad participating in bd like they do in dd. letting newbs play in base will make bd way more popular and fun
    Last edited by Crossed; 04-17-2004, 06:22 PM.

Comment

i am a dummy
      Last edited by NaiLed; 04-17-2004, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Read the conversation... we are talking about AFTER the coming of ?go base
        sdg

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
          The reason I don't play pubs is because it's not really a game that you can win. In pub, you just screw around forever and no one ever wins or loses. In base, elim, twbd, whatever, you either win or lose. I agree that if GuanoBot was set up so that it was kinda a ?go base arena that anyone can join, it would probably be a lot more fun.

Change GuanoBot so that it starts a 10-20 minute Time Race game in Pub 0. Anyone can change teams, be whatever ship they want, etc. Basically, a free-for-all version of ?go base. I am sure it would become by far the most popular pub in TW, and it would really help the basing community and Trench Wars as a whole.
          Sounds great . Mabye have the bot keep the teams even also?

Comment

I think the best way to make basing more popular would be to do this:

Change GuanoBot so that it starts a 10-20 minute Time Race game in Pub 0. Anyone can change teams, be whatever ship they want, etc. Basically, a free-for-all version of ?go base. I am sure it would become by far the most popular pub in TW, and it would really help the basing community and Trench Wars as a whole.
            Something along these lines sounds like a very good idea to me if it can be done.

One of the main problems with pub is the lack of a meaningful objective. Ok, so you have the aim of keeping the flag for as long a possible, fine but sooner or later you will lose it. Some people may remember you helped keep the flag for a while but there is nothing that actually shows you played well. The extra points you get while holding the flag are a total waste of time as nobody cares about flag point/total points, whether you're a newb or vet.

Most of newer pub players seem to consider their w/l ratio to be the most important thing (and this is the main stat they are given). If anything, a good w/l ratio = a crap baser and vica versa. This stat in pub just encourages spawners, lamers and private freqs and discourages basing. The rating stat is a bit better but not much with people freq swapping.

If you want to encourage basing in pub, just give people something they can use to judge their basing skill against others. Human instinct will do the rest.

Comment

The more that I think about it, the better the idea of setting up an actual GAME in pub seems to be. Like I said and GoldenPlums mentioned, the reason pub isn't fun is because it has no objective. You can hold the flag for as long as you want, but you will eventually lose it and there is really no point. If GuanoBot ran actual games, I guarantee you that people would start BASING. "Vet" basers, as Troll King put it, would come with their squads into the arena to own the "noobs". The new guys would see and learn how to play base properly, it would become more popular, etc.

Although people would play just to be the winners of the Pub0 base game, you could give them an incentive, like a 10,000 point bonus for winning a game.

I know something like this would be so popular that it would be required to have several arenas with a bot like this in them. Maybe it would become that every pub had a GuanoBot, and people would be whining to have a pub where they can just screw around.

I don't know Java yet, so I probably wouldn't have the knowledge to create a TW bot, but I would make a bot like this if I could. I think this would be a great project for someone to work on, and would really make Trench Wars a better zone.
              sdg

Comment

The more that I think about it, the better the idea of setting up an actual GAME in pub seems to be. Like I said and GoldenPlums mentioned, the reason pub isn't fun is because it has no objective. You can hold the flag for as long as you want, but you will eventually lose it and there is really no point. If GuanoBot ran actual games, I guarantee you that people would start BASING. "Vet" basers, as Troll King put it, would come with their squads into the arena to own the "noobs". The new guys would see and learn how to play base properly, it would become more popular, etc.

Although people would play just to be the winners of the Pub0 base game, you could give them an incentive, like a 10,000 point bonus for winning a game.

I know something like this would be so popular that it would be required to have several arenas with a bot like this in them. Maybe it would become that every pub had a GuanoBot, and people would be whining to have a pub where they can just screw around.

I don't know Java yet, so I probably wouldn't have the knowledge to create a TW bot, but I would make a bot like this if I could. I think this would be a great project for someone to work on, and would really make Trench Wars a better zone.

Phenomenal idea. I bet if this happens, one day TW staff will be hosting old fashioned basing games with LTs. etc.etc.
                GO LEAFS GO!
                Inspriational Songs for Subspace:
                Duran Duran - Reflex

Inspirational Songs for TW forums:
                Tears for Fears - Shout

Comment

Yeah same for me... I don't like pubs because of levis/cloakers/TKers/ramming newbs/laggots...

Comment

The greatest strength of the pubs is the freedom in an arena with a large population. Good point GoldenPlums, in regards to main objective (CTFR ) in pubs.

Some really (1-2hrs) new players don't understand that main objective at first, but eventually they figure it out. The 1st minute I was in a TW pub arena, I had no idea what was going on, just to try to shoot other ships and survive.

But most people exercise their own freedom in how they behave in the pubs, in what their personal objective is. Often, it completely depends on your mood. I honestly can't say I only do pub basing, yep, I get into negger moods like most people do.

What are possible alternative pub objectives?

-solo freq dueling in open space
                    -solo freq basing in mid base.
                    -teasing people, chatting, just plain horsing around for kicks.
                    -Roofing
                    -LT'ing freq'ing

Of course all alternative pub objectives would all fall into the negging category. And the players that our complaining about this within this thread only focus (all the time so they claim) is strictly their main objective.

Let base be base and pub be pub, of course make necessary improvements to bots when need be.

Comment

you really cant be a negger in trench wars....
                      Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                      apt>yes u can wtf
                      apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                      apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                      apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                      Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                      apt>na
                      apt>ill show you pictures
                      apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

You should go to base more wise, u would be a killer td warbird.
                        -L3

Comment

Alot of people go nuts about this ?go base stuff, but it doesn't look so bad to me. I've gone in there a few times, gotten picked as a spider or Shark too. I did alright, and it was pretty fun.

Altought I kinda agree with Rabbit on this one. Basing takes alot more organization and shit than warbird/jav matches do. If a player wants to get into it, they should be willing to work a bit harder for it. It's pretty easy to get good at a wb or jav if you want to, but basing is another deal.

WiseChrubs idea seems cool though, maybe a 2 hour time race in pubs or something of the sort, would spark more intrest in professional basing.
                          7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                          7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                          7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                          7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                          1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

?go base has ruined basing.. it very much encourages players to play for themselves and not the team. this style of play carries over into squad matches, and as a result we have an under-developed league. i say we kill ?go base.
                            Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                            apt>yes u can wtf
                            apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                            apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                            apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                            Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                            apt>na
                            apt>ill show you pictures
                            apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                              Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong dude, but I thought j.po was JAMAL's brother. If he's not, I meant to say, "Pick JAMAL's brother if you see him online."
                              The whole brothers or relatives thing doesn't work so well, there is usually a large difference between playing skill between brothers. Except FairLights and Redlights they are both good basers. But Stayon and Kesser... BIG difference.

I think Jamal's bro is CJW btw, the KJW ripoff guy.

Comment

yup you're right Supermet. Cops is an awesome jav/wb but I can't duel... at all. Ender kinda doesn't play but was an ok dueler.

Comment

Working...
                                X