Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hero*
    let us know who is who. Ex. who the hell is Bams <zh>. Don't change your alias, and if yo do, post it please.
    Bams <ZH/ER> is BAM <ER>. He/she (no clue) is an old Event Ref from 04/05. I'll update it and add a changed name list also.

Comment

Fair enough Kolar, I guess I was wrong about what I said before. But an old <ER> isn't from 04/05, old ER's are from 02/03 :P
      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

I don't troll anything
        I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
        I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

i would like to see a list of TWD banned people so i know not to recuit them.
          Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
          Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

i WOULD list ban information, to name and shame.

i WOULD NOT advertise hirings of staff, because that will make more newbs ask to be staff.

Comment

What does the blank under "name changes" mean?

Is that supposed to show who they were before they got the <ZH>/<ER> tag?

EDIT: nvm didn't read the posts :P

Comment

• Most moderators don't even find a use for it. It can be used a a fallback to search for previous entries of the same name. But considering each of the many thousands of Continuum players that pass through here would average half a dozen aliases, it's more aestethic than effective.
                • Names get traded and reset. Even a history of bans from last year is useless as a tool to evaluate players.
                • Habitual offenders are still likely to be banned this year. Voiding them from the equation
                • Posting the list is likely to ignite arguements over duration. The staff subforum is already cluttered with closed threads about them. This would make things predictably worse.
                • The list of bans from last year alone is ~3160 lines long. It's bothersome enough that I spend the time compiling the list on the fly. I have quite a lot of other data to record and repeating the same task for nought more than public amusement is a collosal waste of my time.
                • Code:
                    ^12    by iwill\u <E 2001-06-22 02:27 days:3   badass12
                    ^13    by PriitK     2001-06-22 06:21 days:30  chinese pilot
                    ^14    by lil mO-fO  2001-06-22 18:51 days:3   redsaq
                    ^15    by Dr Death   2001-06-22 22:18 days:7   heyjoe
                  Explain the use in this kind of data to the average forumgoer. Do any of you recognise these names? Do you care? 2005 is not dissimilar to 2001.
                • Depending on any recent bans, I sometimes go back and make adjustments to the duration, name, or internal data in the banlist. I don't then normally update the list, making a small percentage of it completely inaccurate.

Those are my arguements for not disclosing the banlist. If you have a greater number of valid arguements for the case, feel free to list them and convince me otherwise.
                Last edited by Rudy; 08-17-2006, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I think twd ban info would be more useful to a squad captain....
                  Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                  Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Being able to see how much are ERs active would be nice/interesting too. I guess it may do lot of whining like "Why is he ER if he hosted 3 events in 3 months" and similar, but this is exactly what should be done - fire long-period inactive ERs. And maybe little pressure from public can improve staff quality
                    Plutarch: "To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult."

Comment

Why dont i just drop my pants so you can all see my nickers!

Seriously, i think stats are way to far. People would be like OMG I WOULD HOST 5 MORE THINGS THAN YOU, I SHUD BE ER!.

It would not be constructive. The stats are available to the people who needed them. That is all that matters.
                      King Baba> You scare me with your online wisdom.

Comment

You are missing the most critical point of posting the banned players, listing bans are critical to allowing the player population to apply peer pressure on cheaters. (Note: 'having a greater number of valid arguments for the case' is not logical since it ignores any potential quality of the point being made.)
                        This alone outweighs any other argument for not listing bans. The 'message' that is being sent to the player base is that banning is joke and does not really matter. If we do not give the leaders of squads and other players a way to help indentify banned players, we are losing a VERY crtical way to help curb cheating. Below is my take on your points.

Most moderators don't even find a use for it. It can be used a a fallback to search for previous entries of the same name. But considering each of the many thousands of Continuum players that pass through here would average half a dozen aliases, it's more aesthetic than effective.
                        Whether or not mods have a use for it is not important. And because it contains SOME information that is not meaningful does not mean that it become merely aesthetic. Having ANY useful information means it can be used effectively. As most people in knowledge management will tell you, "information wants to be free".

Names get traded and reset. Even a history of bans from last year is useless as a tool to evaluate players.
                        I disagree. It is not easy for a player to really 'hide' in this community by changing names, and who would want to trade a name that was banned? (I am unclear how trading names helps the game/community at all anyway.)

Habitual offenders are still likely to be banned this year. Voiding them from the equation
                        The value of posting banned names has nothing to do with habitual offenders, no one would recruit habitual offenders.

Posting the list is likely to ignite arguments over duration. The staff subforum is already cluttered with closed threads about them. This would make things predictably worse.
                        Your argument is based in the context of the staff not having control and that anything that might result in closed threads should be avoided? If this is true, then the state of the staff is in much, much worse shape than anyone knew.

The list of bans from last year alone is ~3160 lines long. It's bothersome enough that I spend the time compiling the list on the fly. I have quite a lot of other data to record and repeating the same task for nought more than public amusement is a collosal waste of my time.
                        Not a valid argument. I understand and appreciate the time and effort that everyone makes helping the game/community but people can not accept a volunteer job and then bail on the responsibilities of that job. If your scope of work is too much, then the right solution is to get more help, not argue that it is too bothersome.

Explain the use in this kind of data to the average forumgoer. Do any of you recognise these names? Do you care? 2005 is not dissimilar to 20
                        Split up the banned names by year. I am sure it is true that the older information is not as useful as the fresher info, but this is hardly an argument for not making ANY information available to people who seek to use it.

Depending on any recent bans, I sometimes go back and make adjustments to the duration, name, or internal data in the banlist. I don't then normally update the list, making a small percentage of it completely inaccurate.
                        Simply post a disclaimer, no one is seeking 100% guarantee on the information. It is not a valid argument to say that because a small percentage of data is wrong, there is no value in it, this is taught in every statistics class.

The posting of banned names should be supported by everyone who thinks that cheating is the biggest threat to TW. It could be that this information should be posted on the TW web site and not in these forums.

Comment

I will tell you guys what you need to do, punish the entire squad for the players actions, and make who he is, and what he did public, along with his aliases, force the offender to choose one name, netban him, and banfree that one name so he can't slip under the nets. As for punishing the entire squad, after what happened to Grapevine last year do you think any serious squad would really take Mythril if he were unbanned... as a squad captain myself I very strongly doubt that. Make harboring a cheater a punishment, people know if a person is cheating, it doesn't take a genius to see when someone on your squad is shooting too quickly, or getting full charges without bty increases, and as is the way of the world, most cheaters are ignorant and like to brag about their work to people. So punish the entire squad, netban, banfree one name when his ban is up, and make sure everyone who is important (whom all read the forums) know who the moron is, and why he shouldn't be playing leagues with them.
                          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                            A lot of people want that so tw staff looks bad, and it does looks bad on the surface. But if you would take the time to see what almost all of those 8 are-

3. Volcs Spamming
                            there were more that got deleted :wub:
                            Kthx> Does JB Inc pay his child support with pub bux?

Undisputed Pre-Menstral Super-Bitch Internet Kickboxing Champion 2005

Comment

So what happened to not announcing promotion to mod on this board? There goes my sneaky disguise.
                              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                              ---A few minutes later---
                              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                              9:Kim> UM
                              9:Kim> i didn't
                              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                                I guess I want to know what kind of information do you think should be open to everyone? Last year's ban/warning records? Recent records, recruitment stuff, anything else? and how do you think this would help (or not) staffer-player relations and the zone?

I believe normal players should be able to use alias bot. Overall people like to know who someone is that says "I'm an alias'd vet." Your argument may be something like 'well what about people that don't want that released.' Well then they shouldn't say "I'm an alias'd vet." Also, with this would need to be a no spam module so people could be limited to 1 check a day or something.

The ban/warning records would be a bit unfair. If people want people to know they were banned/warned for w/e they'll say it.. Giving the public access to this would be like handing someone a criminal report.

Also for recruitment things.. People sure like to know who the next <ZH> will be, but if someone knows they are going to become a <ZH> ahead of time, they might start acting differently (nicer) and this could interfere with smods watching this player.. Who knows, the player could be a bad person and knowing he most likely will become <ZH> will act different and eventually his true self will be revealed.

Overall those are the only things really. Nothing can really help player-staff relations unless the staff are out there talking to those random players. Of course help calls and such help improve that aswell.. But ?help HOST THIS <-- People should start hosting one of those every once in awhile.
                                Lofty> Why must I sit in my chat, listening to some pseudo-homosexual adolescent males go over my looks with such care

Comment

Working...
                                X