Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trench wars needs a cleanup in regards to racism.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench wars needs a cleanup in regards to racism.

I may be over-sensitive but after last nights fiasco this needs to be said. I was in ?go javs and we were having a big disagreement about politics and all of a sudden i get a pm from this newb saying that "all canadians are hockey playing fuckups and they should all be shot to do the world a favor"

i had been talking to adamant <ZH> asking about getting an event hosted. and asked him if saying such a thing would be considered racism. he checked and it was not. I am shocked and appalled at this. The TW community is a very diverse crowd and I am proud to be part of it for so long. But this is ridiculous.

By dictionary.com the definition of racism is:
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

And by dictionary.com the definition of race is:
    1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
    2. a population so related.
    3. Anthropology. a. any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
    b. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
    c. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
    5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.
    6. the human race or family; humankind: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
    7. Zoology. a variety; subspecies.
    8. a natural kind of living creature: the race of fishes.
    9. any group, class, or kind, esp. of persons: Journalists are an interesting race.
    10. the characteristic taste or flavor of wine.
    –adjective 11. of or pertaining to the races of humankind.

So yes, We as canadians are considered a race(for i am sure that people will argue this point so i put the definitions in to stop the arguement BEFORE it starts), and frankly I would like the staff to ensure that everyone gets fair treatment. I know they do their best, and all this post is supposed to be is a way to ensure that TW works better and protects the players from unacceptable harrasment.

(and for the record i ?ignored the freak that did it :P)

we acknowledge that your culture has been opressed for generations, and we'll do our best to right our wrongs and make efforts to be less offensive in our trash talking.

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer. View Post
      I may be over-sensitive but after last nights fiasco this needs to be said. I was in ?go javs and we were having a big disagreement about politics and all of a sudden i get a pm from this newb saying that "all canadians are hockey playing fuckups and they should all be shot to do the world a favor"

i had been talking to adamant <ZH> asking about getting an event hosted. and asked him if saying such a thing would be considered racism. he checked and it was not. I am shocked and appalled at this. The TW community is a very diverse crowd and I am proud to be part of it for so long. But this is ridiculous.

By dictionary.com the definition of racism is:
      1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
      2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
      3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

And by dictionary.com the definition of race is:
      1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
      2. a population so related.
      3. Anthropology. a. any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
      b. an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, esp. formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
      c. a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock: the Slavic race.
      5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race.
      6. the human race or family; humankind: Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
      7. Zoology. a variety; subspecies.
      8. a natural kind of living creature: the race of fishes.
      9. any group, class, or kind, esp. of persons: Journalists are an interesting race.
      10. the characteristic taste or flavor of wine.
      –adjective 11. of or pertaining to the races of humankind.

So yes, We as canadians are considered a race(for i am sure that people will argue this point so i put the definitions in to stop the arguement BEFORE it starts), and frankly I would like the staff to ensure that everyone gets fair treatment. I know they do their best, and all this post is supposed to be is a way to ensure that TW works better and protects the players from unacceptable harrasment.

(and for the record i ?ignored the freak that did it :P)

cry newbie
      RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
      RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Unless someone is switching names to avoid ?ignore I wouldn't even touch the issue.
        Last edited by Kolar; 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM.

Comment

lol trashtalking is one thing but this guy hasnt even been involved the arguement. it was plain and simply an insult with racist overtones. THATS my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
            Unless someone is switching names to avoid ?ignore I wouldn't even touch the issue.
            The fact remains is that the staff would not do anything because its not considered racism. All i ask is that the staff change their definitions of racism to a broader scope.

Comment

Racism isn't that big of a deal in an online video game. Yeah, there are some offensive words, but deal with it. To even think that a word might be "offensive," is ridiculous. Shrug it off, ?ignore them, and get back to enjoying the game.

I'm sure everyone has at one time said something hateful to another person. Wipe those tears and go on with your life.

I guess I should clarify too that racism isn't a big deal in a video game because its not physical violence. That's just not cool.

Comment

If you are getting offended over this, then I don't know what to tell you.

Trench Wars is a game that people from all over the world play. People are going to say things that might offend you. What if someone gets offended when I say that all Coneheads from the planet Remulak will steal your car stereo?

Trench Wars isn't going to shield you from every little thing that might offend your fragile person. It would be impossible.
                sdg

Comment

It's the same tired and dumb argument from white people who think being called white trash or honky is offensive. Sure it's a mean thing to say, just like asshole, fuckass, or cum dumpster, but it doesn't have generations old hatred and emotion attached to it. I'm mostly white and I don't feel insecure or afraid when someone calls me honky. Hell I was called cracker at least once a week in high school but it doesn't have the hatred attached to it that the n-word or k-word have. I may have even felt insecure at times but you have to recognize that institutionalized hatred doesn't really exist for Canadians (mostly just as a joke) so fucking tough it out and quit whining.

Comment

The fact remains is that the staff would not do anything because its not considered racism. All i ask is that the staff change their definitions of racism to a broader scope.
                    I personally wouldn't consider it racism but the reason nothing was done is A) He was using private messages and B ) He didn't spam you.

No culture, religion or race defines what Canada is, even with a large white European population being Canadian is no more then holding citizenship. There are some ideals I believe Canada should (and use to) stand for but there isn't much else beyond that. Now if this player were making comments about a REAL race (I.E. white, black, hispanic, east indian, asian ect..) and he were curcomventing ?Ignore or using it in public then I'd have a problem with it. Just take the insults and people for what they are, ignorant nationalists.

Comment

Originally posted by Worr View Post
                      Racism isn't that big of a deal in an online video game. Yeah, there are some offensive words, but deal with it. To even think that a word might be "offensive," is ridiculous. Shrug it off, ?ignore them, and get back to enjoying the game.
                      I did ?Ignore him cause thats all the staff ever tell you to do. which i guess is fine. but the problem was that when i complained i was told that it was okay to insult canadians. THAt is my problem. the fact was he was allowed to say it.

my view of TW may be...naive but frankly In the 7 years ive played this game I HAVE NEVER been treated that way. jokes about canada are one thing(BLAME CANADA!!!!!!!! lol) but what he said was a deliberate attack on me and my country.

That is all. I SHOULDNT have to put up with it and if it happens more should be done. that is my main concern here.

Comment

I did ?Ignore him cause thats all the staff ever tell you to do. which i guess is fine. but the problem was that when i complained i was told that it was okay to insult canadians. THAt is my problem. the fact was he was allowed to say it.

my view of TW may be...naive but frankly In the 7 years ive played this game I HAVE NEVER been treated that way. jokes about canada are one thing(BLAME CANADA!!!!!!!! lol) but what he said was a deliberate attack on me and my country.

That is all. I SHOULDNT have to put up with it and if it happens more should be done. that is my main concern here.
                        Morally, no, its not okay to say those things. They can be offensive, and yes, it does suck sometimes to get made fun of. The fact of the matter is...Well, exactly what Stabwound said. Tons of cultures, tons of hateful words, its not okay, but if we banned everyone who said something hateful, our zone would be dead.

Comment

if everybody else has to put up with it, why should canada be exempt?

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                            I personally wouldn't consider it racism but the reason nothing was done is A) He was using private messages and B ) He didn't spam you.

No culture, religion or race defines what Canada is, even with a large white European population being Canadian is no more then holding citizenship. There are some ideals I believe Canada should (and use to) stand for but there isn't much else beyond that. Now if this player were making comments about a REAL race (I.E. white, black, hispanic, east indian, asian ect..) and he were curcomventing ?Ignore or using it in public then I'd have a problem with it. Just take the insults and people for what they are, ignorant nationalist.
                            This is true Kolar, but as in the definition, making fun of nationality is also insulting a race. Religious backgrounds and color of skin are neither here nor there. the fact is if we insulted the south africans like that would not a ban be brought forth? by your definition i could say that and no problems occuring because i was making fun of the nation not the people!

This whole thread is about the freedom of speech versus the right to not be verbally harrassed. and all im asking is that the staff or more leniant when considering the basis of what they consider racism. please include nationality as by definiton of racism.

Comment

all i know is, vancouver's going to lose to the stars tonight, got my modano jersey on and everything
                              NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Working...
                              X