No announcement yet.

Resolution Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just change the window mode resolution?
    Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
    2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
    2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

cause window mode sucks.
      8:Lrim> you guys take this game too seriously

Comment

some of the best javs use reoslution 800x600

anything larger than what it is now will make wb straying more common and more newby

basing doesn't really change the gameplay much. majority of it is fr battles, and if you can see entire FR then it's ez.
        1:Underground> WHO THE FUK ARE THE WITH, EASE, WITH EASE, EASE JR.

Yojo?> And I keep arguing that when everyone else sees his stuff 3/10 of a second ahead of him, factoring in the 3/8 of a second it takes your brain to tell your hand to move, it's nothing to do with skill =/

1:zidane> they dont wanna play vs. u dald
        1:B4sERmaN75_X> dald youve been blacklisted by pirates gg

1:Ease> fucking stupid newbie sitting out of base for half an hour, then you finally come in and fire shots at 1000 mphl

Comment

1440x900 for all arenas.
          Warning: Disconnected From Server.
          paralyze> what is this, some sort of gay-out?
          paralyze> and nice try
          Sleuth> WTF
          Sleuth> OK QUIET
          JuNkA> LOL
          Sleuth> THOUGHTS COMING
          Sleuth> SHHH

Warning: Disconnected From Server
          Thoughts> u wish
          Sleuth> WHAT THE FUCK
          Vue> LOOL
          Sleuth> LOLOLOLOL
          Sleuth> ABBOT IS COMING
          Sleuth> QUIET

Warning: Disconnected from server
          abbot> ..
          Thoughts> LMFAO
          paralyze> ROFL
          Sleuth> stfu

Comment

Don't know what you guys are bitching about, I have a widescreen and 1280x1024 works beautifully and fills up the screen in windowed mode.
            Trench Wars Moderator

TWDT-B Season 3 Champion: WOOT

6:Centurion <ZH>> afk embalming babies
            3:royce> i wish i knew how to penetrate
            1:Markmrw> i feel like i need a dick all of a sudden
            1:Markmrw> fuck wrong chat!
            1:Markmrw> :O
            1:RaCka> ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by PureOwnage View Post
              Don't know what you guys are bitching about, I have a widescreen and 1280x1024 works beautifully and fills up the screen in windowed mode.
              Well some widescreens only go to 1440x900 so they would have to use 1280x800 which is over 20% less than max resolution, where as 1440x900 is only slightly less pixels than 1280x1024.

Comment

Originally posted by PureOwnage View Post
                my 20" Samsung wont auto adjust, so I have 2 black voids on both sides of the screen
                Warning: Disconnected From Server.
                paralyze> what is this, some sort of gay-out?
                paralyze> and nice try
                Sleuth> WTF
                Sleuth> OK QUIET
                JuNkA> LOL
                Sleuth> THOUGHTS COMING
                Sleuth> SHHH

Warning: Disconnected From Server
                Thoughts> u wish
                Sleuth> WHAT THE FUCK
                Vue> LOOL
                Sleuth> LOLOLOLOL
                Sleuth> ABBOT IS COMING
                Sleuth> QUIET

Warning: Disconnected from server
                abbot> ..
                Thoughts> LMFAO
                paralyze> ROFL
                Sleuth> stfu

Comment

Can someone post a screenshot of 4:3 SS looking crappy on widescreen? I am still rocking some old school CRT monitors and don't know what the fuss is about here.

1280x1024 in full mode is I think as much of the arena as anyone should be able to see at a glance for TW. Anything much larger than that threatens to obviate the radar and increase obnoxious cowardly warbird sniping, as people have pointed out. I think using the radar is a key aspect of the game and should be maintained (by enforcing resolution limits), not just for the obstinate, broke old schoolers, but because it adds nuance and strategy.

Maybe there can be a compromise where the radar zoom factor is decreased, so the people with very high res only see a coarse jumble of dots, whereas the people at low res can make out more of the map & bogies on radar because it's bigger on their screen.
                  Originally posted by Crunchy Nut
                  2d spaceships nobody gives a shit

Comment

Originally posted by Daldur View Post

anything larger than what it is now will make wb straying more common and more newby
                    the thing with greater res would force every 10 players in twld arena to have the maximum resolution and thus would fight radarbattles with 2048x1536 which would in turn decrease random shots dramatically and make it harder to die randomly and suicided. the only downside would be that everyone would need to maximize their resolution and since everyone can't do that the pool of skilled players would be based on resolution, not their ability to play.

I play chaos zone with 1680x1050 because I have 21inch lcd screen at home, 1280x1024 res in tw is indeed possible but it is way too stretched out and would happily play with a crt monitor instead. Of course I want to have the same resolution in TW as it is best optimized for my screen, but what if your screen can handle 1400x900 and someone else can handle 1900x1200? You can never make players equal by this and so in my opinion you should just take away all limits altogether or limit it at 1280x1024. Basing doesn't need max res, javelins need it, warbirds need atleast 1600, but 1280 has been used far too long already and it is probably good at it is.
                    Last edited by Jones; 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM.
                    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
                      the thing with greater res would force every 10 players in twld arena to have the maximum resolution and thus would fight radarbattles with 2048x1536 which would in turn decrease random shots dramatically and make it harder to die randomly and suicided. the only downside would be that everyone would need to maximize their resolution and since everyone can't do that the pool of skilled players would be based on resolution, not their ability to play.

I play chaos zone with 1680x1050 because I have 21inch lcd screen at home, 1280x1024 res in tw is indeed possible but it is way too stretched out and would happily play with a crt monitor instead. Of course I want to have the same resolution in TW as it is best optimized for my screen, but what if your screen can handle 1400x900 and someone else can handle 1900x1200? You can never make players equal by this and so in my opinion you should just take away all limits altogether or limit it at 1280x1024. Basing doesn't need max res, javelins need it, warbirds need atleast 1600, but 1280 has been used far too long already and it is probably good at it is.
                      I think you should make 1280x1024 and 1440x900 eligible. The main reason is that there are two kinds of monitors used with differing aspect ratios. The first one uses the standard and seems to be an older one, for CRT monitors are included foremost. 1440x900 is nowadays often the case for laptop screen or standard home lcds that are to influence the quality of the screen. My ask is to make both group of players competitive in the sense of approximately equal resolutions in the total area argument. It doesn't really matter that much if you could have a more rectangle or square-oriented screen. Although widescreen might have a slight advantage in the horizontal positioning, it is far weaker in the vertical or diagonal shots, unless the shot is lies in the [-30, 30] or [-150,150] (120 degrees total against 240) interval. That was the argument Jack was very concerned about in some of the posts from the past.

If there is any way someone can help me dervie 1280x1024 off 1440x900 HP Pavilion 17' widescreen I will be satisfied, even though the game will look much worse as it looks now. As for now, I strongly request an update of the resolution capacity with the addition of 1440x900 option for all TW arenas.

vt.

P.S. Suppose you have a big CRT screen that supports 1900 res horizontally. I am not sure if you are playing this game in non-windowed mode because it would also look as bad. Hence, if you are willing to use 1440x900 over 1280x1024 for some reasons (I personally wouldn't), go to adv options and tick 'display default resolutions'. Remember to tick 'windowed mode' in resolution menu. Also add a chat window pop-up in options if you consider that option.
                      2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
                      2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
                      2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

1280x1024 and 1440x900

DOIT!
                        -Kawrae

Comment

Originally posted by Daldur View Post
                          some of the best javs use reoslution 800x600
                          LOL name one! Must be crazy shit cause i've been joking around in JDs lately with that horrible res. You get radared so often it's not even funny. And you got no time to move away.
                          -Kawrae

Comment

I have a widescreen, I play max res (windowed, but I have always played windowed). I am for raising the max res to 1920x1080, so I can use my full screen.
                            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Unrestrict all non-competitive arenas to say, 1920x1200.

Comment

Why would someone have 1920x1200.. that is insane, 1920x1080 is like normal, but 1200 is insane!
                                Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Working...
                                X