Resolution Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dutch_ View Post
    I just got a new pc with a 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio (1650x1050) and I am unable to play continuum with it. It stretches everything out. When i fly to the left Im fast but when i go up my ship slows down. This sucks in dd's jds's bd's sd's belim elim.
    I dont want to play at 1650x1050 but atleast give us a few resolutions for us widescreeners. And im sure there are a lot of ppl with a widescreen. Just check out the monthly steam hardware survey. About 41% of the steam users are using a widescreen resolution.

I would like to see these resolutions added after the league in every arena:

16:10 aspect ratio
    1280 x 800 = 1024000
    1440 x 900 = 1296000
    1280 x 1024= 1310720 (added for comparison)

16:9 aspect ratio
    1280 x 720 = 921600
    1365 x 768 = 1049320

As you can see 1280 x 1024 still is the highest resolution

sounds pretty fucking fair, and mine is 16:9

Comment

Eh of course the 1280 x 800 and the 1280 x 720 resolutions are already supported. So that leaves 1440 x 900 and 1365 x 768, because the first two are just too low.

I also noticed that playing with 1440 x 900 im only alowed to play in pub, elim, belim, javduel, wbduel and javs. I thought that resolution was disabled only for TWD-arenas. I cant play in any of the hosted arenas without getting the screen stretched out. Or Tourny.

Comment

Hmm, why not allowing 2560x2048?

FranKllr, DSB, Old Bones * Frank The Tank!, LEGO
        Videos Videos Preview Recording Tutorial

Comment

I also noticed that playing with 1440 x 900 im only alowed to play in pub, elim, belim, javduel, wbduel and javs. I thought that resolution was disabled only for TWD-arenas. I cant play in any of the hosted arenas without getting the screen stretched out. Or Tourny.
          Because Pub/newly create arena's share a configuration for the
          "whole server" but custom events/arenas have their own settings...

Think of how many arenas we know there are in TW
          (and ones that are there but we dont know about) and then think
          about how long it would take to change even 10 of these arenas
          settings let alone all of them by 1 person...

Login > Sysop PWD > Get/download arena config > open arena config > find setting to change > change setting > save > upload back to tw

Even doing one arena can take alittle while...
          thats not even thinking about server lagging and slowing the download
          of the configs (tho that would be a minimal delay anyway)

Im sure tourny could be fixed, but changing all the event
          arena's would kill who ever did it out of sheer boredom...

-_-
          PubBot8> Going to 69 :greedy:

Jacklyn> I'll play with this clit thing later
          Dr.Coiff> i've played with it

3:Mirror <ZH>> fly around and boom blow everyone up

Comment

Originally posted by RiiStar View Post

Login > Sysop PWD > Get/download arena config > open arena config > find setting to change > change setting > save > upload back to tw

-_-

Add TWD/TWL areans to that list since we're facing an obvious advantage in terms of people and argumentation.
            2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
            2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
            2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

Originally posted by RiiStar View Post

-_-
              Cant someone create an automated script for that, or something? I believe Left_eye posted a full arena list a month back. How bout you divide the workload to 25 arenas per staffmember.
              We have to do something about the resolution problem. I mean there are some many laptop users, all with a widescreen, and since like 2006 or 2007 everyone is buying widescreens for their desktops.

Comment

Ok lets do it!

Comment

I'm hugely in favor of allowing wide screen res as well!!. I think this would help so much in making the game more enjoyable to play.

Not allowing wide screen is like not allowing broadband connections becuase there is still like 2% of the players still using dial-up!!!

IF we allow broadband players to play, why not allow people with wide screen to play? especially since majority of people who play games have it nowadays....

EDIT: hell i remember first few years i played TW with AOL Dialup i was always so upset i could not play an elim without laggout out, or play a duel or squad duel without people calling me a lagger or cheater because of my lag, or lagging out of a squad duel and having squad mates mad at me.. I was at a disadvantage for first few years i played, but I would never have supported the idea of limiting everyone else to slow 200-300 ping connections just because i was one of the few still using dial-up.... That is lame !!!
                  Last edited by Zengrath; 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I just got a new pc with a 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio (1650x1050) and I am unable to play continuum with it. It stretches everything out. When i fly to the left Im fast but when i go up my ship slows down. This sucks in dd's jds's bd's sd's belim elim.
                    I dont want to play at 1650x1050 but atleast give us a few resolutions for us widescreeners. And im sure there are a lot of ppl with a widescreen. Just check out the monthly steam hardware survey. About 41% of the steam users are using a widescreen resolution.

I would like to see these resolutions added after the league in every arena:

16:10 aspect ratio
                    1280 x 800 = 1024000
                    1440 x 900 = 1296000

16:9 aspect ratio
                    1280 x 720 = 921600
                    1365 x 768 = 1049320

As you can see 1280 x 1024 still is the highest resolution

This is why it took me so long to come back to TW. I finally started playing in windowed mode, but that was annoying as well, after playing TW for so many years, it was hard for me to adjust to ether having stretched out, or playing windowed and seeing my computer... I was so used to seeing nothing but the game, and now i feel more distracted. Maybe I'm just weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Zengrath View Post
                      I'm hugely in favor of allowing wide screen res as well!!. I think this would help so much in making the game more enjoyable to play.

Not allowing wide screen is like not allowing broadband connections becuase there is still like 2% of the players still using dial-up!!!

IF we allow broadband players to play, why not allow people with wide screen to play? especially since majority of people who play games have it nowadays....

EDIT: hell i remember first few years i played TW with AOL Dialup i was always so upset i could not play an elim without laggout out, or play a duel or squad duel without people calling me a lagger or cheater because of my lag, or lagging out of a squad duel and having squad mates mad at me.. I was at a disadvantage for first few years i played, but I would never have supported the idea of limiting everyone else to slow 200-300 ping connections just because i was one of the few still using dial-up.... That is lame !!!
                      Yay a response. Ok i want someone from to staff respond to this, its insane we are not supporting widescreen. I havent played a decent game since i got my new pc. I play Crysis Warhead now, it supports widescreen. Goodbye continuum!

Comment

I am discouraged to play this game anymore because I am not efficient on this flawed resolution, I need 1440x900.
                        2:blood> i think vt is a terrible player to be honest
                        2:vt> what makes you think i am terrible
                        2:blood> irrefutable empirical evidence

Comment

I agree that it's time to allow 1440x900 in all arenas. Widescreen monitors are only going to continue to become more common and it's going to hurt overall zone activity if we don't allow them their resolution. I also believe it's not going to give these players an advantage over 1280x1024 users since it's less overall pixels.

The biggest problem though in regards to resolution is that many players, especially newer ones, are not aware of the advantages of using higher resolutions. I've talked to many many people who are using lower resolutions than their computers are capable of (some with 500+ hours of usage) simply because they don't know any better. As you can see here (http://www.trenchwars.org/index.php?...ing&x=resgraph) 1024x768 resolution is the most popular one used, simply because it's the default resolution most new players start with. A possible solution to this would be to create a bot to pm players entering the zone what their resolution currently is and explain to them how to change it if it's lower than 1280x1024 or 1440x900.

Comment

Don't really need to raise, just accommodate for wide screen players.
                            Indulgence

Comment

tw is scared of progress, if admins cant afford new monitors we all suffer

Comment

I'm not gonna bother going back and forth between two threads, merge the other one and this one or if you want to see the counter-argument to just increasing the resolution to allow for the smaller widescreen monitors see this thread: http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=36505
                                1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                                3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                                3:Best> see it coming
                                3:Best> sad

Comment

Working...
                                X