Screen Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Tearing

Hi all. Ten years ago I played on an old laptop that had a perfect 60-61 FPS and no screen tearing, but for some reason the two computers that I built have both had the same screen tearing issue in Continuum while being able to run most other games just fine. The first computer ran on Windows 7 while my current one is running Windows 10. Some more info:

-Screen tearing worsens with large changes in FPS
    -Screen tearing worsens in larger maps with more walls
    -I currently play on 1920x1080x32 windowed mode with around 300-400fps and 144hz refresh rate
    -Playing on 640x480x32 gives me 1500-2100fps and a large reduction in screen tearing
    -Running in compatibility mode as admin has not helped
    -Drivers are updated periodically and this does not affect screen tearing
    -I have tried many of the advanced options with limited success. Screenshot attached of current settings
    -I have tried limiting FPS both in advanced options and using an external program (Bandicam) with limited success

Computer Build
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...r+xb241h&qid=1 594843089&sr=8-1
    https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b450m-...82E16813157843
    https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-12...eon+RX+570&qid =1594844946&sr=8-1

Today I changed to full screen 1920x1080x32 reso and I have significantly less screen tearing with the same fps, but have no idea why. I have two main questions.

1. What is causing the screen tearing?
    2. How can I fix it?
    Mythril> when i met ease in 2001 he was a gameboy
    Shaw> it was sad steadman. ppl were saying morph was the best jav and stuff. sad times without you here
    mcvicar> the last time ease spoke to me is when he said fart and then claus said "Fart it is."
    Mythril> stead was wishing covid 14 on ppl back in the day

Jessup> I was beat up by a dwarf once

5 prayers my friend
    Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

My client performance thread with various notes as I learn things:
      https://forums.trenchwars.com/forum/...nt-performance

A brief video about screen tearing:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9uCXMznv8

A long more techy video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhLYYYvFp9A

Suggestions:
      1. In your screenshot of Continuum Advanced Settings you have Avoid Page Flipping unchecked. The general consensus is that this option should be checked.
      2. It's common for people with 144hz monitors to be running them at 60hz without realising. Instructions for checking + setting it:
      Code:
      On Windows 10, head to Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties. Click the “Monitor” tab, choose your monitor’s advertised refresh rate from the “Screen Refresh Rate” list, and click “OK”.
      3. You have No Framerate Limit checked. This is fine for most people, but I advise it to be unchecked. The reason for this is when GPU usage is at or near 100% (see Task Manager) it becomes a bottleneck and causes stutter. This is true of any game. See what your GPU usage is at while playing and if it's maxed try with No Framerate Limit unchecked. This will impose a framerate limit, so your Ctrl+F number gets lower, but it can take the pressure off the GPU resulting in better performance overall.
      4. You are using a GSync monitor with an AMD 570 GPU. This GPU does not support GSync (an NVIDIA technology) so your GSync is not working. Happy to expand on what to buy if needed.

Comment

Also make sure Refresh is set to <default> in your Profile.

Comment

For resolution:
          Set Resolution to <default> in your Profile.
          Then set res using the main menu like so:

Comment

leaking dm's so I can write a proper reply, and maybe someone else can chime in if they have the same problem or have a solution.

[Jul 16 23:41] Steadman: what i have isnt screen tearing, its choppyness. the game just doesnt look smooth and it looks like the walls are vibrating

?message Steadman:
            I get wall stutter too. That's why I looked at how maps affect fps in my client performance thread. I don't have a solution for it. I just don't jav anymore coz it's too annoying.

The only way I know to reduce it is to use a smaller resolution, thereby reducing the amount of walls the game has to draw.

in jav elim map:
            1024x768 - not much stutter - 1,400 fps
            1280x1024 - minor stutter - 1,000 fps
            1920x1200 - stutter annoying - 600 fps
            2560x1440 - stutter unplayable - 400fps

What I don't understand is why everyone isn't screaming about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab
              What I don't understand is why everyone isn't screaming about this.
              I think because most people don't experience it. Recall seeing something like this from many, many years ago, but it's been at least 10 years since I've seen it. Do you think it'd show up if you did a screen recording with OBS or similar?
              "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
              -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Yep you can see the walls stuttering as I fly around (the walls are moving, not the ship ofc).

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czs5npAer4w

A 1440p version will appear once YouTube finishes rendering it.

Comment

I've definitely seen this before. Quite a long time ago, I experienced this, especially with maps that were tile-heavy. Not sure if I've seen a fix. It's strange that it's only experienced by a few people. Seems to indicate there's something very specific that causes the problem. Maybe you and Stead can identify elements common to both of your rigs.

I wonder if running a VM with an older OS might yield better performance? That's a bit time-consuming, though.

You've probably already tried it, but fiddling with Manage 3D Settings (if using NVidia; not sure about the equivalent with AMD) might do something. With recent drivers there seem to be some options missing that I'm used to seeing... Apparently NVIDIA inspector allows you to modify some of these that are no longer exposed. Never used that myself, though. Just throwing out ideas.
                  "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

My PC

Comment

qan I think we need to get to the bottom of this difference:

?go elim (jav base)
                      1920x1200 - bad stutter - 570 fps

?go baseelim (jav base)
                      1920x1200 - minor stutter - 720 fps

Why is the elim map so much worse than the baseelim map?

Regarding Nvidia settings, I've tried targeting Continuum.exe with custom settings before but the changes never apply. I think it's to do with the initial cont window closing and opening the subspace window.
                      Last edited by Rab; 07-17-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Might be related to doors? Are there other tile-heavy or door-heavy maps that you can check?

It would be better to find the source of the issue than change around maps, though.

What about if you lock your max FPS for Cont inside NVIDIA settings to 144 -- any difference? I'd play with a few of those others in there too... buffering, max pre-rendered frames (if you have that available), etc.

Comment

Some crazy maps tested:

?go enigma
                          1920x1200 - minor stutter - 670 fps

?go zombies
                          1920x1200 - minor stutter - 720 fps

?go twtown
                          1920x1200 - bad stutter - 520 fps

So yeah. elim is between enigma and twtown lol.

Limiting FPS in Nvidia is one of the things I wanted to do. But it does nothing, the limit does not apply. Just doesn't work idk why.
                          Also tried it with RTSS (rivatuner statistics server) and that didn't work either.

Comment

twtown is even 450 in some areas.

wonder if it's fly-under tiles.

Comment

Hmm, weird. Same thing if you apply the limit globally? Maybe it's not using the GPU?

Comment

Working...
                              X