No announcement yet.

Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullshit. The best way to run a squad is recruit anyone you can get at any time.
    There will always be members and so the squad would never die.
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by apt
      Pronessim: Tips to running a good squad, smallest possible roster. A good mix of friends who are skilled, and friends who aren't. If you get can some veteran good players who aren't ringers get them. And always , always get a few players who you think have the potential to be VERY good.

Cap yourself, no one else, assign assistant caps. Don't take shit from members, axe at a fast and swift rate. The more shit you leave in the squad, the more time it has to ferment, and take your squad out from the inside.

Keep your squad on their toes, come up with new strategies, keep the chat humorous and in good nature, and get weekly pracs going. So you keep everyone off their ass and they're constantly playing with eachother.

The rest you learn in time. ^- I've ran top squads in infantry and in most of the popular leagues in ss, and thats what i've run by and it seems to work. So Gl.
      Good post, I agree complete, at least in principle except for 3 minor points.

I've found in the three times that I've been a squad captain that having a very good co-captain is very useful. Although it may be very hard to find this person, if you can find someone who has the same 'vision' of the squad as you do, and who agrees to not make any decisions unless you've both discussed it (of course this goes both ways) then it can be quite useful. What this means is that if you can't be around for any period of time for whatever reason the squad doesn't fall apart. I've managed to do this three times with three different people, so I have faith in it. Having more than 2 captains on a team though gets a bit problematic, so I say stick by yourself or have only 1 other person with you if you can't be around 24/7.

Secondly recruiting doesn't have to be friends. You can recruit people who aren't friends and it's fine. They key is to recruit people you think you can work with and people who will have faith in you, and agree with what your vision of the squad is. The simplest way to explain this is, if you want a squad that doesn't trash talk, don't recruit a trash talker even if they're your friend because this will hurt the squad. If they have a similar vision as you, they will eventually be a friend or at least friendly to other squaddies once they have been in the squad long enough. But yes, small and dedicate is always better than big and unwieldy. The smaller the better for squads, you can hang out with your SS friends outside of your squad if you want.

Lastly, axing at the first sign of trouble isn't always necessary. It's more important to recruit people who you think you can work with so that if problems come up you can work it out. It's much easier to get people to work out problems than it is to axe and then to recruit more good people elsewhere. Only if the problems cannot be worked out do you axe the appropriate parties (sometimes having to ignore friendships for the sake of the squad).

-Epi
      Last edited by Epinephrine; 12-01-2004, 04:16 PM.
      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
      www.animeslice.com

Comment

we basically do the opposite of everything you said.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just saying we do it different. we never axe anyone, we have a huge roster at times and we have 3 caps and anyone that asks can be an asscap if there's a spot available.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by apt
          Pronessim: Tips to running a good squad, smallest possible roster. A good mix of friends who are skilled, and friends who aren't. If you get can some veteran good players who aren't ringers get them. And always , always get a few players who you think have the potential to be VERY good.

Cap yourself, no one else, assign assistant caps. Don't take shit from members, axe at a fast and swift rate. The more shit you leave in the squad, the more time it has to ferment, and take your squad out from the inside.

Keep your squad on their toes, come up with new strategies, keep the chat humorous and in good nature, and get weekly pracs going. So you keep everyone off their ass and they're constantly playing with eachother.

The rest you learn in time. ^- I've ran top squads in infantry and in most of the popular leagues in ss, and thats what i've run by and it seems to work. So Gl.
          Sounds like ALF ... :wub:
          7:Barton> hi tats
          7:Barton> still no smod?
          7:Barton> :(
          7:Tatsumaru uk> heh no
          7:Barton> guess u need to do more ass kissing

3:Harder> we could be like tom cruise in top gun with team speak
          3:Harder> "MAVRIC I GOTTA BIRD ON MY BACK!!"

8:Ghast> LOL METALKID LOOKS LIKE A WEASEL ROFLROFL

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
            we basically do the opposite of everything you said.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just saying we do it different. we never axe anyone, we have a huge roster at times and we have 3 caps and anyone that asks can be an asscap if there's a spot available.
            And that's why you never win :grin:

-Epi

My anime blog:
            www.animeslice.com

Comment

epi, the way u run squad is how the vintage nerd would run a squad.

You dont need a fucking vision to run a squad, all you need is patience to keep it alive when things around going well. If you keep a squad alive no matter what, the players will come and will start chosing your squad over others because of your squads stability. You dont need strict rules and shit thats for asian squads. Rapid Gives assistant to anyone because everyone i recruit i trust and the squad has a positive attitude toward each other and a negative one towards other squads. Also having a small roster doesnt matter if you just axe the people that are getting complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                And that's why you never win :grin:

-Epi
                I can't argue with that.
                http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by Violence
                  epi, the way u run squad is how the vintage nerd would run a squad.
                  What does that even mean? Sorry I don't speak 12-year old.

You dont need a fucking vision to run a squad, all you need is patience to keep it alive when things around going well. If you keep a squad alive no matter what, the players will come and will start chosing your squad over others because of your squads stability.
                  Sounds like a squad vision to me. A squad vision, is just an idea of what you want your squad to be more than just 'let's just randomly recruit people and randomly do things' and it sounds like you have one.

I believe what I said about co-captains is a good way to keep your squad alive, especially if you can't play 24/7. It looks like you have co-captains too, wow imagine that.

You dont need strict rules and shit thats for asian squads.
                  Is this an insult? Something wrong with Asian? And who said anything about strict rules?

Rapid Gives assistant to anyone because everyone i recruit i trust and the squad has a positive attitude toward each other and a negative one towards other squads.
                  That's nice. How does that disagree with what I said? I said recruit people who you will trust, exactly what you said too.

Now it would be different if your assistants also run the squad (recruit, set starters, axe). If you allowed all your assistants to do that on their own without consulting you, then you're a moron.

Also having a small roster doesnt matter if you just axe the people that are getting complaints.
                  People always think you need 30+ people to have a successful squad. You don't. Sure you can have more (Pallies always has had more and they're pretty good), but you don't need that many people. And if they're all keen to play, it causes more problems then you need (unless you have 5 starters and 30 useless people).

-Epi

My anime blog:
                  www.animeslice.com

Comment

I must say Wingmasters is a squad that has gone through a lot of shit and stuff, but they have stayed alive 2 years, even when there was only one capt. and he couldn't even play for months. I'm amazed how loyal some people are there.
                    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

I agree with Jones.
                      I personally love Wingmasters! :wub:
                      1:PaulOakenfold> thunder doesn't have a map;... gonna join nc17
                      1:PaulOakenfold> it's been real
                      1:Vitja> thunders map is ?go twlj
                      1:Vitja> afk
                      1:Underground> haha vit
                      1:Kian> LOL VITJA

-Sk8 site and forums: www.sk8squad.org

Comment

Well, I heard that randedl went inactive due to real life stuff... I left because my college connection is a piece of shit (2000 ping, min w/ 20%+ ploss), so I won't be back till June or so. I don't know about weaver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones
                          I must say Wingmasters is a squad that has gone through a lot of shit and stuff, but they have stayed alive 2 years.
                          There's a squad called wingmasters that's been around for 2 years?

Comment

Yeah, bz. Amazing huh?
                            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
                              There's a squad called wingmasters that's been around for 2 years?
                              ooohhhh shit, must be underground! (runs for the shelter)
                              -Dave

Comment

Ya Gantz been here for a half a year o.O..
                                TWLD Champion 2014
                                TWDTB Champion 2013
                                TWDTB Champion 2016
                                TWDTB Champion 2017
                                TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                                -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

Working...
                                X