Recommend me some stand-up comedy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some stand-up comedy.

I just watched a video of Bill Hicks (RIP), and he is absolutely one of the funniest friggin' comedians I have ever seen in my life. Even though the video was at least 12-15 years old, it was still hilarious.

Anyone else a fan of him? Anyone know any other good comedians that do good black humour like he did?

Here's one of the hilarious parts from the video. He's talking about using terminally ill patients as stuntmen in action movies:

You know what I think what cruel is? Leaving your loved ones to die in some sterile hospital room surrounded by strangers. Fuck that! Put 'em in the movies! Whaaat? Do you want your grandmother dying like a little bird in some hospital room? Her translucent skin so thin you can see her last heartbeat work its way down her blue veins?

Or do you want her to meet Chuck Norris? Why be so selfish as to deprive her of that thrill?

"Tom, how come you dressed my grandmother up as a mugger?"

"Shut up and get off the set. Action! Push her towards Chuck!"

Whurf. [Bill does a flying karate kick]

"Wow he kicked her head right off her body! Did you see that? Did you see my grammie? She's out of her misery. I just saw the greatest fucking movie of my life. Cool!"
    sdg

lol!

Well dressed black comedians always make me laugh, they're hillarious. I loved renting/watching Robin Williams live on braodway. I just find it to be amazingly funny.

Another comedian i'm sure not many people know of, but its really funny. Red Skelton. He has a show back in like.. Ed Sullivans time. I like how he has so many different characters, and he never has to swear or anything, just because he's so damn witty.

I'm sure i could list at least a dozen other amazing comedians, since i love stand up, but i haven't watched Just for Laughs in ages. So i can't think of there names >.<
    7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
    7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
    7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
    7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
    1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

david cross. i think thats his name, one of the gentlemen from Mr. Show.

Comment

Eddie Murphy's old stand up (check: raw and delerious)
        Lewis Black from The Daily Show
        Chris Rock : Bigger and Blacker was funny
        look for Dave Chapelle's Standup on HBO
        DELETED

Comment

Personally, I think Dave Attel does some brilliant comedy- he's also the host of Comedy Central's Insomniac.

I also find Dane Cook to be hilarious as well.
          :confused: Are human fat?

Comment

We've got a great stand up scene in this country, you should investigate Marcus Brigstocke, he's brilliant
            Originally posted by Facetious
            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

I was going to suggest Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg when I saw the thread title, but since you've obviously heard of Bill Hicks, I'll merely suggest Mitch Hedberg. He's nothing like Hicks, but I think he's fucking hilarious. It's all in his flawless delivery. If you've seen his Comedy Central special, personally, I think it pales in comparison to his first CD (I don't remember what it's called but I think it has the word "grills" in the title). I hear his new CD is good, too, but I haven't heard all of it, although when I did hear pieces of it, I'd heard almost all of the jokes from seeing him live a couple of times.
              5:gen> man
              5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

i live in the US, so my comedic exposure is biased in that sense.

some stand up comedians i like are:

Jack Black: right now, he's my favorite. he just kills me, but he also does a comedy-music project called Tenacious D. basically, he and his buddy Kyle Glass sing and play guitar together. the music itself is not fantanstic, but it's the lyrics and physical comedy of Black that really make this project fly.

Bernie Mac: his older shit was funnier, imo. you can find him on some old school Def Comedy Jam dvds. In fact, if you like black comedy, just go to the video store and just rent a bunch of Def Comedy Jam dvd's. they're pretty old, but it definitely shows the beginnings of the careers of some very famous black comedians like chris rock, bernie mac, cedric the entertainer, martin lawrence, and many, many others.

Chris Rock: bring the pain, and bigger and blacker are pretty funny specials he did (although slightly old).

Bill Maher: check this guy out only if you are interested in politics. by far, the king of intellectual comedy.

David Cross: Mr. Show and Bob is funny, but Cross also does some solo stand up that is awesome.

Ali G (Sacha Baron Cohen): he's been around for a while in the UK, i think, but he's new here. he does a few different funny characters, but his Ali G persona is just hillarious.

Paul Rodriguez: a latino comic who absolutely fuckin kills me, but hey, i'm mexican.

Robert Schimmel: i saw his Unprotected special. Very f'kin funny.

old school favorites:

robin williams
                eddie murphy

Comment

I've been quoting Bill Hicks for a while now...

Sam Kinison - was doing his comedy together with Hicks before they went separate ways, he talks mostly about women.
                  Define irony: Kinison starded some of his shows with bits abot drunken drivers and why they shouldn't forbid that, cuz he too was heavy drinker/smoker during that time. He cleaned up, got married and on his way from wedding, he ended up in a car accident. Out of 4 ppl in car, none were injured badly, but him, who died. Other driver was a 17yrs old drunk kid.

David Cross - Pride is back, is excellent

Carlos Mencia - hilarious latin comedian, he takes a piss at everyone

Billy Connolly - scotish dude, been working since 70s, has ton of material out, some good some not so good. Also known as il Duce from Boondock Saints.

Richard Pryor - just classic

Carlin too

If you want some fun, take Dennis Leary's No cure for cancer album, and compare it to Bill Hicks works
                  Originally posted by Disliked
                  However, I have a bigger problem, being an atheist for 9 years, most of it during my teenage years I've become a little addicted to masterbation. I've tried to stop and even asked God to help but I'm unable to resist the temptation and it's driving me insane with grief.

Originally posted by concealed
                  when i was on incuria i took 40 mgs of adderol like an hour before every match. didnt help me that much :X

Comment

Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope have pretty funny standup. Basically anything at www.sacredcow.com is going to be at least decent.

Comment

I was going to suggest Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg when I saw the thread title, but since you've obviously heard of Bill Hicks, I'll merely suggest Mitch Hedberg. He's nothing like Hicks, but I think he's fucking hilarious. It's all in his flawless delivery. If you've seen his Comedy Central special, personally, I think it pales in comparison to his first CD (I don't remember what it's called but I think it has the word "grills" in the title). I hear his new CD is good, too, but I haven't heard all of it, although when I did hear pieces of it, I'd heard almost all of the jokes from seeing him live a couple of times.
                      Mitch Hedberg is an amazing comic, i laughed until my sides hurt and tears were in my eyes.
                      7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                      7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                      7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                      7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                      1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
                        Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope have pretty funny standup. Basically anything at www.sacredcow.com is going to be at least decent.
                        Whos the girl in your avatar?
                        edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

theres an Australian thats like 15 years + ago his name is Rodney Rude

hes a blast and very funny, very crude too hehe
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

An awesome stand-up comedian is Dane Cook. Go to his website: www.danecook.com Listen to some of the audio, funny as shit

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                              Whos the girl in your avatar?
                              Rosemary Cross

Or Olivia Williams, if you want to be a boring "No, who's the actress?"-kind of person.
                              Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Working...
                              X