No announcement yet.

Video Game Industry Faces 'Crisis of Creativity'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on-topic now, there was a discussion about this news on Slashdot. To summarize slashdot readers comments, what video games needs is a new genre of games, something really new.

Also, I remember I saw an article somewhere about what improved in videogames since '70. The author's point was "In the '70 (whatever the date) there was pong, two boxes and a dot. Then there was Asteroids/Space invaders: omg we can draw more complex graphics. Then the 8-bit age (Mario etc), it looks more realistic. SNes/Genesis was still 2d, but even better graphics. Then N64/Dreamcast/PSX: OMG 3D! But since the N64/DC/PSX, there is no 'real' improvements in graphics, except more and more details (Yeah, we can now see clearly Mario's armpit when he's jumping - who cares?)..

Think about it: today we are close to realistic 3D graphics (Remember Steve Jobs showing Doom3 (one of the first videos about D3)? He said we can now render in realtime a scene that needed days to render in the '80s), and games are quite the same. I mean, whats the difference between shooting aliens in Half-Life 2 and, guess what, shooting aliens in Doom3? Thats a god damn FPS - its getting boring at the end.
    Bilange> i love getting repped
    Bilange> i said repped, not raped :X
    ----
    Sending priority 'mail' to weasels and levs since 1999.

Comment

THE ENFORCER, prices of video games are remaining constant (at least since 1996). I remember games on the N64 being 60 bucks. You'll never see a price that high now-a-days.
      Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Mattey
        THE ENFORCER, prices of video games are remaining constant (at least since 1996). I remember games on the N64 being 60 bucks. You'll never see a price that high now-a-days.
        Converting to USD they are $75USD here. But im not the one saying that they are more expensive Jesus is so talk to him, even if the games arent more expensive the consoles definetly are. Also the games if anything should decline with technology so the only thing that is keeping costs up are improvements in quality.

As for X-box even if they have a high market share, there is still definetly an oligopoly then.

Oh btw pearl jam i know x-box is made by microsoft so what? that just shows they are a sub-company of microsoft
        Last edited by THE ENFORCER; 04-01-2004, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
          Acting like Telecat is not the way to go in my books. Any person with common sense would not pull such a stupid "joke" . You wanted attention, plain and simple. Now you try to go and talk down to Amok because he insulted you. Don't go making stupid attention-whoring topics and then not expect to get nagged on. You bring it upon yourself, and then whine...on the TW forums no less, where flames are the norm. Just deal with it and stop your bitching.
          Jesus lighten up...

Comment

Originally posted by THE ENFORCER
            Converting to USD they are $75USD here. But im not the one saying that they are more expensive Jesus is so talk to him, even if the games arent more expensive the consoles definetly are. Also the games if anything should decline with technology so the only thing that is keeping costs up are improvements in quality.

He didn't say the games are more expensive, he said that because of a poor economy, he can't afford as many.

When you factor in inflation, they've actually gotten much cheaper
            http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
              He didn't say the games are more expensive, he said that because of a poor economy, he can't afford as many.

When you factor in inflation, they've actually gotten much cheaper
              No inflation grows at about 2-3% here and the actual console is more expensive i remember when the megadrive was $200 in 1995( i think)

so $200 times by 1.025 power of 9= 249.77 a console for playstation two costs $350-400, $100-150 real price increase. But you also have to take into account wage increases which i have no idea the index for that is. But i guess it'll be around the inflation rate as generally in Aust people spend all extra income so that will lead to extra inflation. Lets look at games
              use to cost i think $60 in 1995. SO $60 X 1.025 power of 9= $74.9 average price of a game here is $80-90 $5.1 to 15.1 real price increase.

Ill try and find some offical figures tomorrow. These are just educated guesses.

However it might just be an Aust thing. You guys can work out todays value for yesterdays games if you have the figues.

If you find that the real price has decreased then obviously the economy is doing really well because not only has the quality increased but the price has decreased! - thats fucking good! not being able to afford games is only short-term as those you recieved less income in the year will eventually pick up but if price has decreased in the long term that means in the long term the economy is doing really well or at least the gaming industry- which i guess will be highly correlated to all those other technical industries such as computing or the economy is doing really badly but thats a specific case (major major depression which has not happened in US)
              Last edited by THE ENFORCER; 04-01-2004, 12:45 PM.

Comment

He's talking about video games, not consoles. Prices have gotten cheaper and cheaper. You're argument is stupid.

The future of video games is online play.
                Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Yeah, you find your facts and figures, but I was paying 40-50 for sega master system games, and now I pay 40-50 for ps2 games. get your head out of your ass.
                  http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

If you find that the real price has decreased then obviously the economy is doing really well because not only has the quality increased but the price has decreased! - thats fucking good! not being able to afford games is only short-term as those you recieved less income in the year will eventually pick up but if price has decreased in the long term that means in the long term the economy is doing really well or at least the gaming industry- which i guess will be highly correlated to all those other technical industries such as computing or the economy is doing really badly but thats a specific case (major major depression which has not happened in US)
                    I covered that situation BZ and Mattey, idiots or lazy.

Comment

So you assume cost of production is going down (you really have no idea) and say that the only thing that is keeping the prices up is the increased quality? Both of these points are moot, because the prices are remaining the same. This means that the original poster can not afford to buy them, not because of the increasing prices (since the prices are staying the same), but because of the reason that Jesus posted. You've confused yourself into thinking you made a point when all you've made is a blunt.
                      Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Ofcourse the cost of production has decreased! (hello? technology) If the price is remaining the same it has the same princple as what i stated before it doesnt make a difference if the price fell or stayed the same the fact is quality has increased! Therefore if quality of the product has increased but the real price has stayed the same then therefore the economy/business is doing very well.
                        If you bothered to read my post you would of noticed this statement
                        "not being able to afford games is only short-term as those you recieved less income in the year (edit:due to downswing) will eventually pick up but if price has decreased (edit: or stayed the same) in the long term that means in the long term the economy is doing really well"

If you arguing that the cost of production has increased because they bought better machinery (i think that is what you meant by your previous post) the cost of good sold would still be the same or less, else what would be the point in bringing in the new machinery? or the new machinery is brought in to enhance the gaming capabilites which therefore is included under improvements in quality.

Comment

Championship manager + GTA + Subspace = A happy Englishman
                          Originally posted by Facetious
                          edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Ofcourse the cost of production has decreased! (hello? technology) If the price is remaining the same it has the same princple as what i stated before it doesnt make a difference if the price fell or stayed the same the fact is quality has increased! Therefore if quality of the product has increased but the real price has stayed the same then therefore the economy/business is doing very well.

Haha, you state premises that have absolutely nothing to do with your conclusion. The sky is blue, trees are green, therefore the economy is in shambles.
                            Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Mattey
                              Haha, you state premises that have absolutely nothing to do with your conclusion. The sky is blue, trees are green, therefore the economy is in shambles.
                              I think your either unwilling or just too stupid to understand i cant make it more simple than that!

Comment

seriously, nobody believes your nonsense. go and get your attention in the trash talk forum and useless crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X