The American Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The American Revolution

To all the Brits out there, how is the American revolution taught in your schools?
    The pleasure's all mine.

Interesting subject...I would assume...hate to do that, but I would think that they would not call it the American Revolution, but more along the lines of the mutiny of the colonies.

Not that I would know...but I do appreciate the revolution, as it allows me to correct people when they tell me I have an accent when they are from Utah and I am in born & raised in an original colony....generalization...but what da hell.

Ben Franklin always said "Yo" to people along with "Wit or Witout" especially on his Cheese Steak.
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

it wasn't taught in my school

i live in Northern Ireland , some ppl feel British some don't so i don't know if i count.
      In my world,
      I am King

sigpic

Comment

Not to assume again, but I would also think that it would probably be discussed within English History when one would study the rule of King George III?
        May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

It wasn't taught at all.

EDIT: It's coming back to me now, I think the pilgrims migrating to America was taught but I'm not so sure on the actual revolution.
          Last edited by Superted; 10-05-2005, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
            It wasn't taught at all.
            How does a school avoid teaching about a war where part of its country declared independence and formed a new country? That'd almost be like them not teaching us about the American Civil War.
            Last edited by Saturn V; 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM.
            Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

I figure history isn't really that important.
              In New Zealand our becoming independant of England is rather vague, I can't even remember when it happened. I doubt your average british citizen could tell you, either.
              The average New Zealander doesn't know too much about our founding document, either. You'll get its name, and the place it was signed (pretty simple because thats IN THE NAME).
              History that I took amounts to a very small amount of Victorian England, WWI, more of WW2, and a general background of stuff that went on in the 50's, 60's etc. The bombing of the Rainbow Warrior by french terrorists over nuclear testing, for example.

Originally posted by Disliked
              Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
              +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Theif of Time
                I figure history isn't really that important.
                And the famous quote, I have in idea who said it, though (and there are slighlty different versions I've read, but all mean the same thing): "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V
                  How does a school avoid teaching about a war where part of its country declared independence and formed a new country? That'd almost be like them not teaching us about the American Civil War.

that happened alot to Britain :P

I did history GCSE

that was about 8 years ago or so and my memory is a little sketchy

I remember doing World war I then a shit load on World War II and also the Veitnam war and a little on the Korean war. We did the assassination of JFK. We also did the Easter rising in Ireland in 1916 with De Valera etc... but i think that was just us. Thats all i remember for the GCSE

We never did many of Englands kings ... to many of them

We did abit about the battle of hastings in 1066 ehmmm maybe a little about that catholic king (james?) and mary queen of scots or something.

Come to think of it i remember something abut the boston tea party in about form 2? but it wasn't in any detail at all.

History is a huge subject, we concentrated mainly on the European side of things, i don't find it that shocking we weren't taught about the American Revoultion in any great detail.
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop
                    i don't find it that shocking we weren't taught about the American Revoultion in any great detail.
                    Well, according to Disliked, it wasn't even mentioned?

Comment

See, if they had to teach one rev, they'd have to teach them all

and britain's colonies did a ton of revolting
                      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

What happened to "The Sun Never Set on the British Empire"?

That's right, it got bitch slapped.
                        Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                        sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

At school we learned a couple of years ago about the whole american revolution thing, and all that. They made american's look like hero's, and then like 2 months later they make canadians sound like a super power, and keep pointing out that we burned the light house or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V
                            You don't learn about it here either, america isn't that important.
                            DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                            Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                            Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                            -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

All you need to Know:

The American Revolution (1775-1783) occurred as a result of a growing belief in the American Colonies that the British were far too snooty and aloof to be obeyed.

Figured I'd better do it before someone else did.
                              "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Working...
                              X