The American Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll King
    And I'm pretty sure British students could take a course called "American History" and get their information that way too.

with you saying that, the only American history ive ever seen being taught or been taugh personally, is the Civil Rights stuff -_-

all other things about US history i know about was off TV or movies

Edit : forgot Vietnam
    Last edited by scumbag; 10-06-2005, 05:23 PM. Reason: crap memory
    Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
    oNe-t> YEAH
    nopcode> before going out
    funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

Originally posted by scumbag
      with you saying that, the only American history ive ever seen being taught or been taugh personally, is the Civil Rights stuff -_-

all other things about US history i know about was off TV or movies

Edit : forgot Vietnam
      I was able to count to 10 in German when I was a kid watching Hogans Hero's.

TV is a big part of it.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

That's a good question, is there a course called American History in Europe's classrooms?

If so, that's stupid.
        Originally posted by Jeenyuss
        sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
          And I'm pretty sure British students could take a course called "American History" and get their information that way too.
          Heres the catch:

The American revolution was a part of European history. If its not part of the curriculum because it paints them in a bad light, then thats sacrificing a big chunk of one's history in favor of some jingoistic facade.

Originally posted by GoldenPlums
          some shit in chronological order
          Is listing your country's proud imperialistic history supposed to make me believe there was simply too much material to be coverd?

Here is another question: How are the world wars taught in Germany?
          SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

Maybe they talk about it and how they lost, they just leave out the whole "genocide/jew burning" part when WW2 comes out.
            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

the revolution was a cover. the british crown and illuminati still control america and the rest of the world. they rule in secret

Comment

Originally posted by Tone
                the revolution was a cover. the british crown and illuminati still control america and the rest of the world. they rule in secret
                Tone, how dare you forget about the Masons. You know damn well that Benjamin Franklin was a Mason, the rest is history.

And 404, yes, I was talking about Lafayette, but I was playing stupid since Americans are stupid (according to everyone else). I also know that Franklin went to France to ask them for monetary support. France helped a lot, which is why we helped them in WWII, I think. Quid pro quo and whatnots.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
                  How I wish I could afford Yale classes.
                  Yea, me too. Then I would just say fuck it, and save some money by going to Cal.

Comment

The Frighteners-

Awesome movie, I've been watching it on Sci Fi for the past hour and 40 mins. Very nice, you need to watch it.
                    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone
                      JORDAN FADE AWAY WIT DA SWOOSH
                      Originally posted by Ward
                      OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Originally posted by Benno
                        Heres the catch:

The American revolution was a part of European history. If its not part of the curriculum because it paints them in a bad light, then thats sacrificing a big chunk of one's history in favor of some jingoistic facade.
                        But it isn't really that "big a chunk" of their history. It's a significant part, but they have a lot of other significant portions of their history too. Going back to the French Revolution tangent, you admited that it had an impact on American history, but you had to take a European history class to learn about it. It's the same situation over there, but with perspectives switched.

Comment

Oh I thought the original question was "how is the american revolution taught in England?" not "Is it covered at all in your english-centric history class or do you need to take a special (non required) world history class to learn about it at all?".

I'm seeing a lot of "we didn't even cover it at all" not "it was in the world history class". Also the "not a big chunk" part is bullshit, since i'm pretty sure Revolutions in russia have less impact on british history than this one. Seems like all evidence points to jingoistic facade to me. This isn't a dig at anyone, it simply highlights that an unbalanced history course probably isn't very good. In the states the educational system is notoriously liberal, so "bad" stuff like vietnam aren't conviently glossed over.
                          Atleast tell me ghandi is covered.
                          Originally posted by Colossos
                          We did no American History at our school, was all European and British history, and the British history around the period of the American Revolution was conveniently skipped.
                          Originally posted by scumbag
                          not taught here, or at least i never did it

at my high school it was english history 1066 - present ish, plus WW1, WW2, some on Korea and Vietnam at GCSE
                          mainly focus on the Russian Revolution and rise of the Nazis in my A levels this year
                          Originally posted by Pressure Drop
                          it wasn't taught in my school

i live in Northern Ireland , some ppl feel British some don't so i don't know if i count.
                          SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V
                            How does a school avoid teaching about a war where part of its country declared independence and formed a new country? That'd almost be like them not teaching us about the American Civil War.
                            because it doesn't involve the british army getting owned by a bunch of "cowardly" minutemen who do ambush attacks instead of organized battalions.
                            thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Originally posted by Benno
                              Heres the catch:

Is listing your country's proud imperialistic history supposed to make me believe there was simply too much material to be coverd?

Here is another question: How are the world wars taught in Germany?
                              losing india was a far bigger blow to our "proud imperialistic" history than america, yet we get taught that. face it, you guys arnt that important
                              Reinstate Sarien
                              ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie-Q
                                you guys arnt that important
                                Meh, you stole just what I was about to post

Get over yourselves, you're not that important.

There.

Comment

Working...
                                X