Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are americans so fat? (serious topic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many factors as to why this has happened. And it is spreading to other countries as well....this is just not limited to the States.

1st of all look at the schools. Many factors here. If Bush had his way all the kids would do in school is study for a national test so that it can be determined if fed and state funding should be given to the schools. So in doing this, I have noticed in my area, that PE (Physical Education) has almost been eliminated. What was once a mandatory 2 - 3 times a week class, has almost been eliminated and it has been eliminated in some schools all together. Hmm...so lets make a kid sit in a seat and not get up for an entire day, except to stuff his face with the crap from the cafeteria's that are not monitored for saturated fat content and health concerns. Hmmm...seems like the kids would be living whats called a sedetary lifestyle. When school is over. What does the typical kid do? Watch TV, stuff his face or play a video game until dinner is ready and then they do the same activity after dinner and become a slug or perhaps a human sloth.

How many playgrounds do you see every day filled with kids playing hoops, softball, street hockey, lacross.....I use to see this all the time years ago. Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons when Itchy & Scratchy are taken off the air and the kids go outside for what seems the 1st time in there lives only to discover playgrounds and recreational activities.

Some Tips to Help Overweight Kids

Obesity is a problem not only in the old age, but among kids too. It affects the kid mentally and also predisposes the child to many other diseases. The following tips help to reduce weight of obese children.

Here are some things that would curb this trend of overweight and disease ridden children of society.

1. Get kids moving. To lose weight, kids must burn more calories than they take in. No one physical activity is better than another for calorie expenditure. So let kids find the type of activity they enjoy.

2. Feed kids alternatives to commercially produced cow's milk. At five times the protein content of breast milk, cow's milk and the bovine growth hormone it contains make kids bigger and fatter. Instead use soya-milk fortified with calcium or Rice Dream, a milk created from rice.

3. Get high-risk foods out of the house. Don't buy snack foods high in calories; they're fattening for the entire family.

4. Establish family meal schedules. Get kids accustomed to eating at specified times with small snacks in between, rather than all day long.
    Buy organic health foods. The additives in our foods are chemicals, not nutrients, and are therefore neither utilized nor eliminated by the body. The preservatives, steroids and growth hormones in our foods, particularly in meat, chicken, milk and other dairy products, become stored in our bodies, adding to our weight.

5. Encourage kids to take part in extra curricular activities, not necessarily sports only, but music or arts or anything the child is interested in. This will change the focus of the child on it being obese and provide mental relaxation.

6. Teach children conscious food combining. Fruit should be eaten alone on an empty stomach for quick absorption. If introduced into the digestive system when other foods are present, it will just sit there. Mixing carbohydrates and proteins should be minimized. Once animal protein is eaten, it should be followed primarily by protein.

7. Never nag children about eating and being fat. Criticism only raises stress and anxiety levels, making the problem worse.

BTW,.....That McDonalds Pic is not even from the States.
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

If you make ppl addicted to something like sugar, ppl will buy it.

Comment

There are two main things that decide this, the primary being genetics, the secondary (and only controllable part that affects the matter) is the metabolism as it progresses through time.

Some genes may be predisposed to having a bigger build at any point in the life of the individual, even at the beginning, but after that, a sudden increase in size would be caused by the metabolism changing, and most assuredly the speed of the system would have been decreased, this decrease can be caused by either a)genes deciding its time to blow up like a blimp b)increase in consumption (and possible consumption of that which would completely fuck over the metabolic system) and c)less physical activity therefore reducing the demand on the metabolic system to turn consumed items into usable materials and so distributed throughout the body. With b and c, you have where the mind plays a big role, any number of odd random fucked up things that the society will undoubtedly throw at an individual (because remember, the society is absolute shit) can cause them to do those two things, kids are very suseptible to ending up on one or both because their minds are far less developed as is their knowledge of the society, the education ministry tells these poor uninformed souls that the society is a great place and they should always trust it. When they fluff up the place's dick like that in their minds, it really pisses me off that such institutions are not only still in place but that those who have not yet minds for themselves are FORCED to attend.

But will the general mass be able to stop this trend? FUCK no, they wholeheartedly believe in the idea of the education ministry thanks to who? Oh that's right, their minds being told it early on by the same fucking people who are doing it to their kids.

Why are ameicans so fat? [Edit: It is because] the society (or more truly and importantly humanity) is absolutely pathetic.
        sage

Comment

Ok, here's the real reason americans are so fat:

We have enough money that our '91 accord car payments don't prevent us from buying food.
          USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

it's little things like taking the elevator instead of stairs, taking 3 minute drives, finding the closest parking spot possible even if u have to drive around for minutes.

that's what it is, those little things. they amaze me.
            Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
            apt>yes u can wtf
            apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
            apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
            apt>so i dont miss the toilet
            Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
            apt>na
            apt>ill show you pictures
            apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

oh and by the way, i dont really buy that stuff about milk making u fat. when i was 5 years old i would regularly drink a quart of milk just for the hell of it. i have loved milk all my life, and i am 5'10 150. then again, it was skim.
              Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
              apt>yes u can wtf
              apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
              apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
              apt>so i dont miss the toilet
              Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
              apt>na
              apt>ill show you pictures
              apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

I'd just like to point out how much it sucks to always be exactly 150 pounds (give or take about 5) god damn my metabolic rate, I'd consider throwing more shit (aka food) at it, but I'm even more worried that it would just make it increase in speed while attaching little to none of the broken down materials to my body, much like it does at this point.
                sage

Comment

There was some study that showed how dairy consumption helped your metabolism somehow
                  USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Richard Creager

"[Edit: It is because] the society (or more truly and importantly humanity) is absolutely pathetic."

That's right man, I was starting to think that Im the only who considers our society ill and not right. God damn it, someone's behind all this, 99,9% of us are raised by TV and act according to the fucking stereotypes instead of trying to think themselves whats good or whats wrong. I almost barf when I see my peers acting (not just fooling around) like retarded actors from citcoms and comedies. PEOPLE, dont you understand that TV is for amusement only, it must not teach us how to behave! If some low-IQ imbecile in a funny movie says "reading is for geeks" - dont listen to that low-IQ imbecile!.. There, i said it, now cary the light into the masses, my friends

"I'd just like to point out how much it sucks to always be exactly 150 pounds"

trust me, it is much better than weighing 300 pounds, besides 150lb~75kg is a pretty good weight (although depends on your height). Start bodybuilding, it's really interesting (I promise you results in less than 2 months if you'll visit the gym 2-3 times a week 1.5 hours each and workout hard) and will help you raise body mass.

------------------

Also about food: I recommend not watching and counting calories - its tedious and pointless. Instead, watch the ingridients! Choose food that has the least amount of preservatives, E###'s and other chemical bullshit. Eat less fatty foods which are just soaked and dripping with fat. A person must consume 100grams of proteins, 600g of carbohydrates and 200g of fruits and vegetables each day. Eat no bakery such as donuts, cakes etc. Forget about sauces, anything sweet, spicy food, snacks (chips, cookies, tortillas, fries, etc), junk food, sandwiches and fat meat.. Eat normal hot meals, go to a quality restaurant instead of McDonalds or Sonny's Barbecue/

If you're still hungry have a fruit or some non-salty ham.

Sounds horrible? trust me, you'll get used to it, just like I did. Turning back to the past I get horrified how much SHIT i used to eat..
                    If you won't get yur ass outta here immediatly, I'll make the hole in it bigger than the Grand Canyon!

Comment

Most of this discussion has been garbage. A couple of people said noteworthy things. The main cause, in short, is that America has a very shitty gene pool that allows the abundance of cheap fattening foods to take it's toll and manifest it's negative effect on such a gene pool.

The shitty aspect of the gene pool may very well be largely contributed to by the mixed breeding of random nationalities in the recent generations due to the homogenized nature of America. This most likely leads to genetic disorders of hamperings and allows for such negative outcomes from things like fattening food diets.

As a Russian in the states, who has not been too physically active for a few years either, I come from a more stable gene pool and eat recklessly and passionately, including a variety of fattening foods, and I eat Mcdonalds almost daily and have eaten it since being a toddler and am underweight for my height.

To remove the problem would be to remove America. Therefore the problem is not likely to cease in current times without miraculous and cheap scientific breakthroughs.
                      Sika> noob
                      Pro> u

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                        Superted, I think it has more to do with corporate image, media influence and brand loyality. Obseity in most countries, not just America has risen rapidly in the last 20 or so years. And its within this time period that fast food companies started heavily marketing their products.

what McDonalds do is market a lot of their products towards children. Children desire to eat at McDonalds, they will associate it with positive feelings, and voila, a loyal customer is born. They will continue to eat at McDonalds as they associate it with the positive.

Consumerism is great for the economy too so I think the government support it.
                        This is 99% wrong. Firstly brand loyalty has nothing do with eating junk food - you don't decide to eat junk food because you feel some kind of subconcious affection for McDonalds. Any form of brand loyalty would only come into the equation once you made the decision that you're going to have some junk food. You decide that to hell with the calories, you're going to have some fries, and then you decide if you go to Burger King of Maccy D's. Media influence also isn't a deciding factor in the consumption of junk food, as its always had an unbelievably negative press. And corporate image most definately is not a determining factor in eating junk food, you don't decide to buy a Big Mac because its made by a large company. Most people decide to avoid large corporations for their ethics (Nike sweatshops, Shell pollutants, McDonalds using one cow per burger) and they fact they force local businesses out of... business.

McDonalds do market their products to children, but a) its the parent's who buy it and they take the above factors into consideration before taking into accounts their kid's preference for fries and a shake, and b) thats got nothing to do with the obesity of America in general. They don't all grow old fat as around their formative years they decide that fat isn't cool and do something about it. Most of the obese people in America have developed it in later life, or they've never had a girlfriend in their life. Of course governments support trading, but not if it kills the consumers. If the junk food industry died on its arse there would be an equally large health food industry ready to fill its shoes. The desire for food will always be there, the composition of the market (how many people buy health food compared to junk food) will just differ.

Obesity has risen largely through an improvement in standards of living, we eat more pies because there's so many more around. We do less exercise because we have less need to, everything we need is in arm's reach. Entertainment has improved (tv, dvd, consoles), transport has improved (more roads, better cars, improved public transport).

As to why America has a bigger problem than other countries, its down to America's individual circumstances. You have to look at whats so different in America compared to other countries, the answer being society/culture. When everyone's fat its acceptable to a degree, and the perceived optimum weight becomes a lot larger. The standard of living in America is incredibly high - to take an extreme example, no one has to hunt for their food compared, to Africa where everyone's skinny fucks. The real question is why is obesity high in America compared to other developed nations, ie Europe and Japan. The answer to Japan's easy, the have different body types with higher metabolisms, and while obesity is also on the increase, it isn't as apparent. They might be heading for an early grave but no one can see it and they'll get laid.

Taking the question and comparing America to Europe - I've got no idea. I do History.
                        Last edited by ZeUs!!; 04-08-2006, 07:50 AM.
                        Originally posted by Facetious
                        edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

So are you saying that McDonalds' billion dollar marketing, advertising and public relations has no effect on people whatsoever? I think we're equally right in what were saying,

I don't know where personal responsibility stops and corporate responsibility starts, but you can't deny that McDonalds drags people in and holds them.

Yeah it could have something to do with a shitty gene pool, but I wouldn't know about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                            So are you saying that McDonalds' billion dollar marketing, advertising and public relations has no effect on people whatsoever? I think we're equally right in what were saying,

I don't know where personal responsibility stops and corporate responsibility starts, but you can't deny that McDonalds drags people in and holds them.

Yeah it could have something to do with a shitty gene pool, but I wouldn't know about that.
                            Yes, because thats exactly what I said, and thats undeniably what you said.

Although McDonald's has an ability to gain customers like all other companies do, they don't have any magical net that sets them apart from any other company. People like their products - as you argued in your initial post with the little kiddies wanting their fix of maccy d's - its just starting to implode on them recently. Their marketing certainly isn't as effective as you're implying, they've been roundly ridiculed for the 'i'm lovin' it' campaign, and its failed to halt their slide. Marketing and advertising is the same thing in this context and fast food companies have no public relations scheme to note.
                            Originally posted by Facetious
                            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

the stuff people consume.. especially fast foods..and lack of healthy food :< ..cookies are fine though..^_^!
                              >^________^<!

Comment

Originally posted by Pro
                                The shitty aspect of the gene pool may very well be largely contributed to by the mixed breeding of random nationalities in the recent generations due to the homogenized nature of America.
                                alright hermann goering
                                5:gen> man
                                5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Working...
                                X