Just how stupid can school be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuTang420 View Post
    just cause theyre homeschooled doesnt mean you cant hire em tudors. ive been considering this lately now that the new town we moved to is full of tweekers....
    Some families homeschool several kids from other families at the same time.

Comment

I wasn't referring to the educational part. You can learn facts equally as well in any setting. I have cousins who are homeschooled for a lot of the same reasons as your children and well, it shows in certain social situations.
      USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

The amount of information available in the world would be pretty pathetic if the teacher I had in 5th grade knew everything there was to know about the subjects she taught.
        6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
        3 league vet

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenSent View Post
          Tell me something i haven't heard. There's just as many kids with just as many problems going to public & private schools. "Breakfast Club" is a great example. Our daughter gets her share of "class" during her summercamp with the park district. She's been playing SS since she was 5 & she's doing just fine socially, thank you for your concern. -_-
          you let a five year old play this game of all games, but you won't let them go to school? What the hell???

As others have said, school isn't just about facts... it's also about learning how to associate with your peers, and also broadens your horizons when you meet different people from different backgrounds...
          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
          www.animeslice.com

Comment

my cousin was homeschooled. He cuts himself on a regular basis

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
              you let a five year old play this game of all games, but you won't let them go to school? What the hell???

As others have said, school isn't just about facts... it's also about learning how to associate with your peers, and also broadens your horizons when you meet different people from different backgrounds...
              She's not 5 anymore... And she didn't play 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, like she would if she were going to a public or private school.... And no one on SS is shoving shit in her face and calling it academia.

Moreover, she's gets her interaction from the kids in the neighborhood and with hundreds of kids in groups with her summercamp.. which last most of the summer.

I think if anyone knows kids.. I do... I'm a Navy bratt with Army experience. I've lived all over... Called about 50 places home... went to about 20 different schools growing up.. I was alway the new kid.. I knew how to fit in quick... and ocassionally I had to fight the first kid that challenged me to keep the rest off my ass, but it wasn't about winning or losing. It was about showing the rest of the kids I was not going be taken advantage of.

My daughter is doing great. She's very intelligent, gets along great with other kids and other parents never cease to let me know how well mannered & behaved she is. Her school supplies & study materials are sent to us from a Christian school which also supplies the lawyers if needed.

We got all the bases covered K?

Edit:> To allow my daughter to go to a public or private school would make me a hypocrite, since I'm always ranting about the world's educational system as being one of the four hidden dominions of Satan's power on earth.
              ..so there's my motivation.

Comment

I'm always ranting about the world's educational system as being one of the four hidden dominions of Satan's power on earth.
                Creepy and crazy.

I'm glad you're getting to spend time with your child while "schooling" her, but I agree with the majority of the posters here that public schooling (or hell, even most private schooling) socializes children far better than homeschooling. Your child will never get "team-building" or group experience (I fail to see how a summer camp magically fills this niche) that's essential for higher learning or any job outside of the service industry.

There were two girls and two boys in my high school who went to public school for the first time in 12th grade. All of them were severely socially awkward, and when I went back for my 10-year reunion this past summer, I found out that one of them had killed himself, and the other three were still creepy and socially awkward. That's not to say that all homeschooled kids turn out to be creepy introverts, but it's a much higher percentage than every other person I know who's been publicly schooled.

Far be it from me telling you how to raise your child, since it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it (within reason), but in my experience (and it seems several others on this board) homeschooled kids are at a disadvantage usually.
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I think if anyone knows kids.. I do... I'm a Navy bratt with Army experience. I've lived all over... Called about 50 places home... went to about 20 different schools growing up.. I was alway the new kid.. I knew how to fit in quick... and ocassionally I had to fight the first kid that challenged me to keep the rest off my ass, but it wasn't about winning or losing. It was about showing the rest of the kids I was not going be taken advantage of.
                  How does this make you know kids better then other people? I fail to see any proof.

Edit:> To allow my daughter to go to a public or private school would make me a hypocrite, since I'm always ranting about the world's educational system as being one of the four hidden dominions of Satan's power on earth.
                  ..so there's my motivation.
                  World's educational system? There is not 1 educational system in the world, in fact I have not yet come across 1 educational system that is the same as the one we have in the Netherlands.

And exactly how is this a hidden dominion of Satan's power?
                  Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                    How does this make you know kids better then other people? I fail to see any proof.

World's educational system? There is not 1 educational system in the world, in fact I have not yet come across 1 educational system that is the same as the one we have in the Netherlands.

And exactly how is this a hidden dominion of Satan's power?
                    I really don't think I need to provide proof for anything I choose to do with my family nor do I need validation for my decisions. I'm not on a crusade to change people. People shouldn't be concerned with my methods if there's no evidence of any abuse or dysfunction.

...and you probably fail to undstand most Christian ideals as well. So what's the point in getting into my convictions & knowledge of my understanding of what Christian life means for me & my faith?

Comment

That's fine for most arguments, but when you, as you described it yourself, are "always ranting about the world's educational system as being one of the four hidden dominions of Satan's power on earth" then you can't back out of it that easily and say you don't have to justify your decisions.

Comment

I really don't think I need to provide proof for anything I choose to do with my family nor do I need validation for my decisions.
                        i do feel sorry for your kid, though. i liked school, and conversations about fond memories about when we were in school are quite common between a lot of my friends. i think that if i didn't go to school, i wouldn't have as nearly many friends as i have had and still do have.

Comment

You said: "I think if anyone knows kids.. I do... " and then listed a bunch of reasons why you know kids and no one else apparently does, I asked you why you know kids and no one else does.. I don't see the navy having to do anything with kids. And moving around a lot doesn't give you knowledge about kids either.

I wasn't asking for proof or validation for your decisions I was asking why you think all those reasons make you know kids.
                          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King View Post
                            That's fine for most arguments, but when you, as you described it yourself, are "always ranting about the world's educational system as being one of the four hidden dominions of Satan's power on earth" then you can't back out of it that easily and say you don't have to justify your decisions.
                            I was merely trying at least to stay on the subject of school and not a lesson on the dominions of power on the earth.
                            But if you insist..
                            Satan rules this world; has since the fall in the garden. He offered it to Jesus in exchange for Jesus to bow down to him. He will continue to rule this world until Jesus returns. The Dominions of his rule are education, represented by the pale horse in the book of Revelations. Politics - red horse, economics - black horse & religion - white horse. He controls it all and all influence outside of God is directed down this chain to his little minions & demons.
                            Unless someone has a life-changing, profound, spiritual, eye-opening experience meeting God, they're just going through the motions in this production God has created before us to show where everyone's love is directed.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                              You said: "I think if anyone knows kids.. I do... " and then listed a bunch of reasons why you know kids and no one else apparently does, I asked you why you know kids and no one else does.. I don't see the navy having to do anything with kids. And moving around a lot doesn't give you knowledge about kids either.

I wasn't asking for proof or validation for your decisions I was asking why you think all those reasons make you know kids.
                              ..and putting words where there were none.

First, I was a kid and my childhood is very vivid. I believe i have empathy and good insight from being the new kid all the time. Which each move, I could start out with a different image if i wanted. Being a child in a military family & going to schools on military bases, one meets kids from all walks of life & culture, especially when we've lived outside America.
                              Last edited by HeavenSent; 12-18-2006, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Going to school like I did, I met kids from all walks of life. Going to uni like I do know I meet all kinds of people. Yet I don't presume to be an expert on people or kids.

And I have actually worked in a daycare for a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X