Proud Parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeavenSent View Post
    For math, she got as far as adding & subtracting fractions. She'll be starting algerbra next.
    I don't understand... your report says that she's equivalent of a grade 9 level... yet she is only doing fractions? How the hell do these standardized tests work anyway. Or it is based on the assumption that while the grade 9 curriculum should probably be years beyond algebra, most students in grade 9 are still too dumb to do it?

As well, it says she's at the grade 10 level for verbal. In grade 10 we read The Great Gatsby for class. Does this mean that she can read that book and understand a good number of the nuisances of it?
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
      Or it is based on the assumption that while the grade 9 curriculum should probably be years beyond algebra, most students in grade 9 are still too dumb to do it?
      I think you're exactly right.
      She has science courses too, i don't know why any of that wasn't on the test. She does well in that area too.

As well, it says she's at the grade 10 level for verbal. In grade 10 we read The Great Gatsby for class. Does this mean that she can read that book and understand a good number of the nuisances of it?
      She is reading some pretty big books for her age. There are times when she'd read over something and not really know what it's saying. This is because of her age. She's yet to be introduced to human sexuality. -_-
      Last edited by HeavenSent; 03-03-2007, 09:20 PM.

Comment

She is reading some pretty big books for her age. There are times when she'd read over something and not really know what it's saying. This is because of her age. She's yet to be introduced to human sexuality. -_-
        sorry man but you're full of shit .. in 10th grade we had to read books and not only understand them, but find all that symbolism/irony/imagery shit in them. then write essays about them. i'm sorry but a 4th grader can't do it, i don't give a shit what kind of child genius she is, she won't recognize imagery when she sees it. also, i don't think i can add/subtract fractions without a calculator anymore.. same with divisions that arent memorized, i can't do them on paper, just forgot how.. too much weed i guess
        7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
        Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
        TWLJ Champion Season 11
        TWLB All-Star Season 10
        Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Originally posted by Voth View Post
          sorry man but you're full of shit ...
          I'd be full of shit if I tried to satisfy every asshole's narrow minded viewpoint of how a 4th grader could possibly compare to a 10th grader. Those are the results. You can either take it or leave it.... just keep your asshole comments in your asshole & not dripping out of your pie hole. :thumbsup:

Comment

What age is grade 10?

And John Stuart Mills read all kinds of Greek stuff (Herodotus, Plato) at the age of 8.. (random fact that popped up in my head).
            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
              What age is grade 10?
              15-16

Comment

In grade 10 we read The Great Gatsby for class. Does this mean that she can read that book and understand a good number of the nuisances of it?
                You're a nuisance, I'm nuanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Voth View Post
                  sorry man but you're full of shit .. in 10th grade we had to read books and not only understand them, but find all that symbolism/irony/imagery shit in them. then write essays about them. i'm sorry but a 4th grader can't do it, i don't give a shit what kind of child genius she is, she won't recognize imagery when she sees it. also, i don't think i can add/subtract fractions without a calculator anymore.. same with divisions that arent memorized, i can't do them on paper, just forgot how.. too much weed i guess
                  maybe ur the one that's retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Deck View Post
                    maybe ur the one that's retarded
                    prolly
                    7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                    Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                    TWLJ Champion Season 11
                    TWLB All-Star Season 10
                    Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

That's believable. I was reading at around a 10th/11th grade level in fourth grade. Did I have the capacity to understand the stories and their literary elements? Yes. Were these things taught to me? No.

I had pretty much 99s across the board, but I struggled a bit in Science (had high 80s/low 90s on that, most of the time), some retarded Study Skills component (always got in the 70s) and Listening (29th percentile.. wow). Science has caught up over the years, but I still lack the ability to study efficiently or listen to a lecture without showing signs of ADD (which I've been told I don't have.. but I'm not convinced) Looks like I might be in for a fun ride through my first semester or so of college, eh?

I'm in a public school system, but on the average, it seems that home-schooled students do better for their first few years. I think home-schooling tends to do more harm than good as the child enters the junior high and high school years, though.
                      I'm back.

Comment

thats good news. i dont get how she can be at a high school level though. maybe a genius? perhaps. but still even if someone i knew told me their kid was at that level..i wouldnt believe em. maybe she acknowledges these things but she doesnt truly understand em. good for her nonetheless.
                        afk gettin drunk as fuk after a big win whos in??????
                        the price is right, bitch.

Comment

I read the lord of the rings trilogy in 2nd grade. That strikes me as being around a 10th grade level. Anyway, if you read a lot at a young age, you could definitely have the comprehension and vocab skills of the average 10th grader. When I was little I used to read books constantly, I'd read like 80 books over the summer (granted they were mostly "Choose your own adventure".. but still). The average 10th grader doesn't read books.

Comment

I'd like to ask why she's homeschooled. I ask this because I wasn't homeschooled and I've never met someone who was, so It's something new and has peaked my interest. Why did you and your wife decide to homeschool her? I assume your wife is teaching her then? Was your wife ever a teacher at an actual school? Continuing, she's int he 4th grade, do you plan to homeschool her all the way up until high school?

Congrats on the grades btw.
                            The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                            All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

She's yet to be introduced to human sexuality. -_-
                              Let me have a night with her and we'll sort this out.
                              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                              ---A few minutes later---
                              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                              9:Kim> UM
                              9:Kim> i didn't
                              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Nickname View Post
                                I'd like to ask why she's homeschooled. I ask this because I wasn't homeschooled and I've never met someone who was, so It's something new and has peaked my interest. Why did you and your wife decide to homeschool her? I assume your wife is teaching her then? Was your wife ever a teacher at an actual school? Continuing, she's int he 4th grade, do you plan to homeschool her all the way up until high school?

Congrats on the grades btw.
                                Apperently homeschooling is quite popular in the USA, even if that idea is completely foreign in Canada Nick. A lot of people in the US believe that public schooling is bad because it gives not only bad teaching, but a bad environment (i.e. your child will come into contact with 'undesirable people' such as poor people, people who don't believe in the same religion as you, people who might be of a different race, people who are 'bad').

By teaching your child at home, you have a chance to completely indoctrinate that child with anything you want, moulding that child exactly how you see fit. By sheltering your children like that, theoretically you can 'teach them good values' and 'keep them away from bad influences'. As well, because there is widespread belief that public school is horrible for learning, you can theoretically teach your child better, because as you know, regular people are much more cut out for teaching their children than professional teachers.
                                Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                                www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                                www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                                X