No announcement yet.

Proud Parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just question it though because it takes you away fromt he good, and the bad.

Think about it, back in elementary school were you ever picked on? I'm sure you were at least a bit, and didn't that toughen you up, and make you stronger / better? I just wonder how overwhelmed htis girl will be when she hits high school, and how much stupid things liek insults might effect her. I'm sure she'll be very well educated, but part of it isn't the education on learning about math or science, it's learning about yourself, and others.
    The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
    All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

If I remember correctly she is home schooled because of Heavensents crazy religion beliefs and no one in the world teaching that at a school. So they wanted to teach that her at home along with his crazy views of the world.
      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Well heavensent said education is one of the 4 (or was it 5) pillars of satan on Earth.

But yeah NN, that is the tough question. Personally I went through public school and I don't see why people can't. I mean I turned out okay, and unless you live in the inner city where the schools are scary I can't see why it's a big deal. Then again I'm not from America and my school never had metal detectors or anything which I hear are quite common in the US. I had some SS friends way back who went to magnet school (school for gifted kids) and they had ID badges, security checkpoints and metal detectors in their suburban school.
        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by HeavenSent View Post
          As some of you may know, we home school our daughter.
          We just recently received the results of her 4th grade finals... and my jaw hit the floor.

According to the California Achievement Test (which supposedly has the highest standards in the country... ) her scores were:

Reading:
          Vocabulary - Score=40 / grade equivalent: 10.7 / percentile = 99
          Comprehension - 40 / 11.5 / 99
          Math:
          Computation - 62 / 8.8 / 99
          Concepts & problems: - 38 /9.6 / 99
          Language:
          Mechanics: - 62 / 9.2 / 94
          Usage & Structure: - 29 / 9.6 /94
          Spelling: - 30 / 11 / 99

... As you can see, I'm shocked, amazed & proud. Her reading & language are at a high school level & she's in the top percent of kids her age. :wub:

Well i guess those are some good grades! Congrats on it!
          But one thing i think you should consider is the fact that basic school is not just about learning stuff, it's more about getting the tools and the means to aquire the necessary to engage in a later specialization, by studying and helping your child studying you might be "feeding" the knowledge to her instead of making her go get it herself. And don't forget the fact that children will eventually become teenagers... and teenagers must be able to stand for themselfs more and more each passing day!
          Anyway just my thoughts.
          A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

schooling isn't there to fully teach you things, it's there to teach you how to learn...
            There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

How did this turn into a bunch of foreigners' dissertations on home-schooling?

The assumption that people who are home-schooled are sheltered is a complete farce. The kids are allowed to play school sports (for whatever school they are districted for) as well as band and any other extracurricular activities. When I was in school I hung mostly with people in my neighborhood rather than kids from school so it's not like her social life is going to be dead. As long as the parent is doing a good job of home-schooling there's no reason to lambaste him. Do you think that if his kid went to public school that Heaven would not indoctrinate her anyway? Of course not. Some of the biggest tools go to public school - this isn't the huge deal Epi and others would have people believe.

Sure home-schooling makes it easier for Heaven to shelter his kid but so do a lot of things. By itself it's not going to hurt the kid.

It's amazing how everyone turns into child psychologists, theologians, and philosophers over the internet.

Comment

valid epi, metaldetectors and the like are no good.

For you Canadians, i assume you've heard of the possible 'shooting' at IRHS (iroqouis Ridge High School) when they found a threat written on the wall. That was my high school, we never had nay problems when i went there...kids are just fucked up.

All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Man...my gf was doing math for like highschool (not sure about proper differences, so it was for 17yrs olds) when she was in 4th grade (10-11 yrs old), because her nazi dad who was civil engineer, made her do all that shit, with all his university eq (like rulers, proper pens and shit).
                  1. She has had absolutley zero usage for that when she grew up
                  2. He was still unable to control her when she turned 17

Let the kid go run with other kids, eat mud and fall down. That is learning. Social skills are very important in life, who gives a fuck that she can do algebra and understand Gatsby at 10
                  Originally posted by Disliked
                  However, I have a bigger problem, being an atheist for 9 years, most of it during my teenage years I've become a little addicted to masterbation. I've tried to stop and even asked God to help but I'm unable to resist the temptation and it's driving me insane with grief.

Originally posted by concealed
                  when i was on incuria i took 40 mgs of adderol like an hour before every match. didnt help me that much :X

Comment

Originally posted by Nickname View Post
                    valid epi, metaldetectors and the like are no good.

For you Canadians, i assume you've heard of the possible 'shooting' at IRHS (iroqouis Ridge High School) when they found a threat written on the wall. That was my high school, we never had nay problems when i went there...kids are just fucked up.
                    Humm... I go there right now. We had no school last Friday =D

Comment

Heaven, are you one of those parents that is for banning dodgeball?

Comment

I was completely content with being average, and my life benefited from it.
                        Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                        sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I think a lot of people are making a ton of generalizations about people that home-school their kids. If you've got a gifted kid, live in an area without great public schools, and can't afford private school, I don't think home-schooling is that bad an idea, as long as you make sure the kid has other activities where they can socialize.

That said, I agree with everyone else that those approximate grade levels make no sense. Somehow I can't see the state putting Algebra 2 questions on a test for fourth graders.
                          5:gen> man
                          5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I remember we had this really fucking smart kid in my class in 6th grade, and he was reading books about 17th century architecture and really boring shit. He was a nice kid. After 6th grade I didn't see him much, but I went to the new semester of school and there this motherfucker is in my War history class. And now I see him everywhere.

This story had no relevance, but I thought it was funny.
                            Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                            sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Send View Post
                              Humm... I go there right now. We had no school last Friday =D
                              A) No way, seriously?

B) I heard it wasn't closed, and that there was just a police pressence. How old are you Send? I'm up on the wall in the forum buddy, Graduated 03 (hurray for double cohort)

Comment

The Simpsons did a thing on home schooling in tonight's episode. It was funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X