WTF Japan? Epic thread of problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Izor
    Another guy that knows nothing about the military or how people react. My father is a GS-14 for the FAA, the civilian equivalent of a colonel. I get no special treatment at work because of who he is.
    Hence why I said in the two sentences directly after the one you quoted, that it is different for everyone in the military. If you would read the entire post instead of tripping out after the first sentence you would see I'm not giving blanket statements to everyone in the military. That's great that you don't get special treatment but you and I both know that's not the case with everyone in the military.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exalt View Post
      $5000 a year is nothing at all. You are in debt for $10k and that doesn't cover one single year at a state university in the USA. You vastly underestimated Ohio State tuition too... because being a resident it only lowers tuition down to the $15k a year range, and that's not including books, living expenses, or fees.
      I said double to triple what I spend on tuition. $15,000 is triple what I pay. I don't think I underestimated State tuition in the least, I didn't include fees, textbooks, or living expenses in my estimate, nor did I include them in my tuition. My tuition might be $5,000 a year but I ended up spending close to $10,000 for my first year and I didn't even live away from home.

Considering in State tuition varies from around $8000 to $15,000, I don't think I was too far off.

Originally posted by Exalt
      If you have a degree with only $10k spent, you have no room to complain. On top of that, you saying "oh no I might have to get a job I don't want!" to pay it back is rediculous. Welcome to the real world. Did you honestly live in this fantasy world where you get the perfect job, do nothing all day, and get paid an shitload of money while not having to pay bills?
      I'll have a College Diploma, not a Degree.

Did I think I would get a perfect job and make lots of money? No. Did I think I went to school to be a journalist so I could end up working in a factory? Absolutely not. When I say Journalist, I don't mean a reporter. Becoming an anchor or reporter is very difficult, I'd be happy editing, working as a cameraman, or doing something very basic.

What you don't understand is that I want to start at the bottom of the totem poll. However, Entry level jobs are being taken over by people who just got shit canned from a higher level positions. I don't have this delusion that I'll start out at the top, what I'm concerned about is not having the chance to start out at the bottom. Imagine if you went to school to study something then once you graduate all the entry level positions you were hoping to get don't exist. So tell me, how am I assuming I'll make a shit load of cash or get this awesome job when I want a job in a news company, not a specific job, just a job.
      Last edited by Cops; 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM.
      it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

• Why do you think I am talking about High School? High School in the Netherlands is a joke compared to University in the Netherlands and I did the hardest form in our High School system. I am not claiming to be super smart or anything, I know a bunch of people smarter than me. But in High School it's at least possible to get a 10 for an exam, hell I got a 10.6 once.

I was talking about University level. Dutch Universities at the bachelor level are not slightly harder than US Uni at the bachelor level, they are much harder than in the US. I am taking a 400 level class (wasn't allowed to take 500 level classes in this exchange program) in psychology (something I never took in the Netherlands) and it is really easy, I don't even have any of the prerequisites normally needed.

As a comparison, I had to take one of my Dutch exams over here, because our semesters are different (we don't end at the start of may, but at the end of June) and I studied really well for that (compared to my own standards) and I got a 7.5 for it which is just a good grade (average for this one was around 5.9). I did nothing, but absolutely nothing for my comm class over here, I scored 94.

I really hope High School in America is not a joke compared to the bachelor degree in Uni over here. I have heard that graduate level comes a lot closer to Dutch bachelor level.

Now, the only point I was trying to make was that if the grading in Japan is more like the Dutch grading (harder exams, tougher grading) than the US, any pressure applied will be incomparable between the two countries because it would mean that it is a lot harder for Japanese people to get the equivalent of an A over there. I don't know if the grading/exams there are harder or not, I was just trying to put things in perspective. I elaborated on the differences in this post because some people didn't seem to get it.
        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

• Oh now this thread is going into an even better direction, where we're having an international pissing contest about whose education system is harder, and therefore better!
          I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
          I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

• To get back on track.

I showed my GF Suicide Club a few days ago. She thought it was so fucked up and then I told her about how Japan has a huge suicide rate and all that. She had no idea it was such a problem.

She also told me that her mother told her stories about when she had lived in China where infanticide was an everyday action in their village. Her mom also said when she went back with her grandma in 2001, they saw a lot of the same. I don't have any numbers or anything, just her mother's story. If anyone knows anything about this, I guess we could add it to this thread.

Also, Suicide Club is a really sad movie
            Originally posted by Tone
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

• in this thread people say very little with very very many words
              Originally posted by Ward
              OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

• I never said our education was better. It is different and harder, I never said better.
                Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

• its implied that its better
                  I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                  I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

• Originally posted by Vykromond View Post
                    in this thread people say very little with very very many words
                    in this thread vyk is gbs as fuck haha

Hey folks - vykromond

Comment

• I've studied Japanese language and culture at the University of Leiden for 3 years. I dedicated most of my time researching cultural backgrounds and possible factors for the increasing number of young japanese to join "New New Religions" (Shin shin shukyou). Many of these factors probably also weigh heavy in the occurence of hikikomori and I can't add anything constructive to this topic.

In short, this topic is going nowhere.
                      "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

• Disciplin is pretty far out there in Japan compared to European/American schools.
                        During my short tenure in a Japanese school in Tokyo I was literally tied to my chair when I was being rowdy, needless to say my parents moved me to an Internation School shortly afterwards :turned:

I dont know about the Chinese system, but the International School in Discovery Bay (HK) was much more lax than the Japanese school. Exams etc were a plenty though.

I've also got some basic knowledge (read very basic) of the American School system, having gone to an American School in KSA up until Junior High.
                        The curriculum seemed "easier", as I was bumped straight into a "gifted" class on arrival.

The end of my school going days were all according to the British Curriculum, which I would say was more demanding than the American System. A friend of mine wrote 4A's in his A-Levels, got a full scholarship to Brown based on that and his SAT of 1480.

I've also got a "Diploma" in a Finnish school, schools over here are incredibly lax, but the level of teaching is still quite high IMO.
                        Last edited by Displaced; 02-25-2009, 12:16 PM.
                        Displaced> I get pussy every day
                        Displaced> I'm rich
                        Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                        Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                        Thors> prolly
                        Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

• Originally posted by Displaced View Post
                          Disciplin is pretty far out there in Japan compared to European/American schools.
                          During my short tenure in a Japanese school in Tokyo I was literally tied to my chair when I was being rowdy, needless to say my parents moved me to an Internation School shortly afterwards :turned:

I dont know about the Chinese system, but the Internation School in Discovery Bay (HK) was much more lax than the Japanese school. Exams etc were a plenty though.

I've also got some basic knowledge (read very basic) of the American School system, having gone to an American School in KSA up until Junior High.
                          The curriculum seemed "easier", as I was bumped straight into a "gifted" class on arrival.

The end of my school going days were all according to the British Curriculum, which I would say was more demanding than the American System. A friend of mine wrote 4A's in his A-Levels, got a full scholarship to Brown based on that and his SAT of 1480.

I've also got a "Diploma" in a Finnish school, schools over here are incredibly lax, but the level of teaching is still quite high IMO.
                          So much education, and yet you still work as a nightly prostitute!
                          Originally posted by paradise!
                          pretty sure the flu is just bacteria found everywhere, just during the winter our immune systems are at its lowest, thus the bacteria aren't exactly killed off.
                          1:Reaver> HALP
                          1:Reaver> HELELP
                          1:Reaver> SAW CRANS MOM NAKED
                          1:Reaver> HELP YOU DUMB FUCKS

Comment

• more money in selling tail than sitting in a cubicle :fear:
                            Displaced> I get pussy every day
                            Displaced> I'm rich
                            Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                            Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                            Thors> prolly
                            Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

• One thing that has to be taken into account is that Japan has a collectivist culture and America has an individualistic culture. This counts for a lot of the differences. For instance, in collectivist cultures when you succeed in something (for instance getting an A) people tend to look more to that being an accomplishment of the group than of yourself, while in more individualistic cultures you see it as proof of you being smart. The other way around if you do bad on a test, in individualistic countries you will often say the test was really hard instead of saying you are dumb. In collectivist cultures when failure occurs they look at themselves for failing.

And there is a whole bunch of other differences that you have to take into account. You can't take your own interpretations of stuff that happens and apply it to most Asian countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulOakenfold View Post
                                in this thread vyk is gbs as fuck haha

Hey folks - vykromond

hey i just clicked you're name and saw this:
                                helldump sewage leak. user loses posting privileges for 1 week.

pplz explain? i mean i knew you were a bad poster but
                                Originally posted by Ward
                                OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Working...
                                X