X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you swim ?

i just read some of this story
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11172054
    it's out of date but has been spammed about so i just picked up on it now - thats irrelevant - i just wondered if in your schooling were you also taught to swim.

Here swimming is taught as part of P.E. (physical education in case other countries call it different)
    also my father and grandfather brought me to the pool to teach me to swim. one of my first lasting memories considering i must have been under 5 as my grandfater died on my 5th birthday. Probably the trauma of putting my head underwater and thinking i was going to drown but wanting to impress my family lol i remember the orange inflatable "water wings"

Well I didn't particularly like it and i'm not a good swimmer but i can swim. If left to my own devices i wouldn't have learnt and would not think i was missing out and infact the last i swam was about ten years ago. looking back i'm glad i was taught as a child and know how
    only school taught me
    6.90%
    only family taught me
    48.28%
    both taught me
    41.38%
    never learnt
    3.45%
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

My little town was fortunate enough to have a big ass swimming pool at the school. We had a bit of swim lessons in P.E. occasionally and then there were Red Cross sanctioned swim lessons every summer.

I learned to swim rather early, loved it. Still do enjoy it but it's been since I was a lifeguard during College since I've even been in a pool. One thing I always noticed when teaching swim lessons is that some kids just flat out are scared to put their face down in the water intentionally. It's a primal fear that just takes over some people more than others. Usually by the end of a week these kids were loving it, but there would always be one or two who would be unable to hack it or would keep trying hard but still fail because of their fear. The WORST was when an adult would attempt low-level swim lessons after 30+ years of refusing to try... that's funny, sad, and frustrating (if you're trying to teach them) all at the same time.
    Fuck it.

Comment

nope
      can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

im not rly a good swimmer either
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by vaped View Post
          kids just flat out are scared to put their face down in the water intentionally. It's a primal fear that just takes over some people more than others. Usually by the end of a week these kids were loving it, but there would always be one or two who would be unable to hack it or would keep trying hard but still fail because of their fear.
          yeah thats what i felt like and i remember struggling with that, but my father and grandfather looking disappointed with me so i went rawr and thrashed about with my head under the water to try and impress them and after that it wasn't a big deal. it is a primal fear though and i guess it's best to get over it when your young and stupid. Now i can dive into a deep swimming pool with no hesitation. However as i said i'm not a great swimmer and don't like being out of my depth too far in the sea for fear of currents. In a pool your never to far from a side and safety
          In my world,
          I am King

sigpic

Comment

being raised in Florida, it was imperative that I learned how to swim. All parents were urged to get their kids lessons asap because a major cause of death for children living in Florida was by drowning
            sigpic
            All good things must come to an end.

Comment

ye this like how being raised in ny we had 2 b taught 2 climb buildings n use parachute 2 escape from skyscrapers
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Jesus christ your posts are getting annoying cres. Is it really that hard to type a few extra letters? You can't possibly be posting from a phone all the time, yet you write as if you're always texting.

My guess is you just think it's cool to write like that, but guess what? You're dumb.
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

??? lol y u care how i type? move along fgt

u dont see me vsing u when u write giant useless essays that have nothing to do with the thread but give insight into ur life...those r more annoying than how i type trust me

Comment

i disagree jason. i think cres is one of the most important and prominent philosophers and eloquent speakers in our trench wars community.
                    J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
                    8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

Originally posted by renzi View Post
                      i disagree jason. i think cres is one of the most important and prominent philosophers and eloquent speakers in our trench wars community.
                      Amen

Comment

If you can't swim, you're probably black
                        DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 8 CHAMP
                        DICE TWLB SEASON 10 CHAMP
                        DICE TWLB SEASON 11 CHAMP
                        DICE TWLB SEASON 13 CHAMP
                        DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 15 CHAMP
                        DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 16 CHAMP

1:waven> i promised myself that the only way id ever roid
                        1:waven> is if im going to prison
                        1:waven> no one gonna try to rape me

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                          Jesus christ your posts are getting annoying cres. Is it really that hard to type a few extra letters? You can't possibly be posting from a phone all the time, yet you write as if you're always texting.

My guess is you just think it's cool to write like that, but guess what? You're dumb.
                          Signed in to agree.
                          Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post

Jason you don't understand. Dead people can't use vowels.
                            TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
                            TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
                            Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
                            - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
                            Originally posted by kthx
                            Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

who the fuk can't swim?
                              Gun remembers.

Comment

Working...
                              X