Skill factors in this game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skill factors in this game

I've recently held a conversation which gave me the opportunity to share some of my views on the highly debatable and controversial topic of what truly makes up skill in this game.

I know some of you are fans of the talent-factor arguments, and others shove the metaphysical aspects aside and claim it's just a point and shoot thing, while others argue it's a matter of pure intellect. The following log goes over another theory that some of you may be interested in considering.

jones> the skill level nowadays is much higher in my oppinion
    Stasua> And too many damn newbs too
    Lofty> I agree Jones..I can see the shift of skill from when i came back from retirement in january of last year, until today
    Stasua> Kinda takes the fun out of it once in a while, but ya can't really do anything about that
    Lofty> Within this year and a half, especially since the same month I came back the automated TWD system came into play, it gave so many more people the opportunity to dd
    Lofty> Since before that it had to be hosted
    Lofty> So now all these players can play whenever they want
    Lofty> And its just so much more radical now in dd than it was a year and a half ago
    Lofty> Yeah so many more people are skilled at dd now than a year ago
    Lofty> Sometimes I find myself blaming it on luck and that they are all newbies because I keep judging using the overall skill pool model from the past, shortly after I came back from retirement
    Lofty> But then I realize that there's just a mass shift in skill
    Stasua> Those who picked up and started playing this game a year ago and DD alot are still inconsistent
    Stasua> So you can say it is luck alot of the time
    Lofty> Yeah but I still see a lot of more advanced shit random no-named people pulling these days
    Lofty> Back when the system was first implemented, the automated TWD system, the ones who came out on top were those already experienced in DD, and those with the most talent who caught on the quickest
    Lofty> And now...the rest of the mass is catching up, and that makes things frustrating, especially for those who are too stubborn to accept that people get better, or that the skill pool is shifting upwards
    Stasua> Well people who play other games before they start playing SS get an advantange sometimes
    Lofty> In this game it's mostly a thing of talent
    Lofty> Some people just have it, some don't; hand-eye coordination, proper visual evaluation, it's mostly genetical things that can't be altered, and how your mind works
    Stasua> lol
    Lofty> But motivation is necessary in any case, but how far you'll get is determined by talent
    Stasua> Well, you can use that point for VFX
    jones> and me...
    Lofty> This game is approximately = 65 % [max. confidence value up to BUT not higher than maximum talent value]; 20 % intelligence; 15 % ambition/motivation
    Stasua> 10% reflex
    Lofty> Reflex goes into the talent factor
    Lofty> For the most part it's a variable that spans relatively to your mind capability, and how well it can react
    Lofty> You can train it, but how far your limits are is determined by your mind's competence
    Lofty> Anyway, I think I've figured it out more or less
    Lofty> Confidence in this game is relative to the talent factor
    Lofty> The more talent you have, the more weight the confidence factor has
    Lofty> Because confidence is the vehicle through which it is determined how far you can go to your talent limits
    Lofty> But without talent, confidence factor becomes obsolete
    Stasua> I think you need confidence to help your talent improve
    Stasua> Well, your skill level
    Lofty> You need confidence to get more bang out of your talent buck
    Stasua> That works
    Lofty> Say your max talent value is 46
    Lofty> And your confidence variable is 23 (I wont give confidence a maximum/minimum value because unlike talent, it's more a state of mind and can change, whereas talent is more genetically restrained)
    Lofty> That means that you will only be able to use up to 23 measurement units of your maximum talent potential
    Lofty> Even though your maximum talent value is 46
    Stasua> WTH does that mean man?
    jones> I see..
    Lofty> The more confidence you have, the further you can reach towards your maximum talent value
    Lofty> It works the other way as well
    Stasua> What is a variable?
    Lofty> If your confidence variable is 48, but your maximum talent value is 20
    Stasua> Talent value...
    Lofty> Then you will only be able to go to your maximum talent value of 20
    Stasua> and this means...
    Lofty> And all the surplus confidence will be obsolete
    Zerofade> rofl statua
    Lofty> I'm just giving relative variables
    Lofty> To use in comparison
    Lofty> Dont pay attention to what the numbers are
    Stasua> K
    Stasua> Keep talking
    Lofty> I'm just using it to show an analogy which can be understood
    Lofty> Suppose talent is measured in units of 1
    Stasua> I understand what you said
    Zerofade> how do u measure talent
    Selex> Suppose
    Lofty> It's not measured officially, but suppose it was
    Lofty> Obviously different people have different levels of talent
    Lofty> So lets say we use 1 as the standard measurement usage for talent
    Lofty> And suppose someone's mind capability has it that 40 units of talent is their maximum talent potential value
    Lofty> Now lets say confidence is also measured in units of 1
    Lofty> And someone's confidence level is at 20 units
    Lofty> That means they will only be able to utilize their talent up to 20 units
    Zerofade> ..
    Lofty> Due to the confidence that is fueling their performance
    Lofty> Even though their maximum potential, talent-wise is capped at 40 units
    Lofty> If someone has little talent, say 5 units is their max talent value
    Lofty> Then any confidence value above 5 really makes no difference
    Lofty> Because their maximum talent only allows to 5
    jones> Is it like, believe in yourself that you are able to kill the big names in say a duel or something and you will try more automatically the more you believe?
    Lofty> Yeah sort of
    Lofty> In a way
    Lofty> I know I'm arrogant and I don't often accept people as being better or higher than me, that helps me use my talent to the maximum and I dont really get held back
    jones> O, I see
    Lofty> Of course, if my talent level was too low it wouldn't matter if I thought I WAS the best
    jones> I fail in that confidence...
    Lofty> I'd still suck because my talent can't live up to my confidence value
    Lofty> But confidence value must live up to the highest talent level you have, otherwise a portion of talent won't be used
    Lofty> Of course this is just my subjective model of talent/skill/confidence topography, but I think it helps explain certain non-materialistic values easier
    jones> I think I understand some of these
    jones> But it all comes down to 2 things, that this game is made upon
    Lofty> I'll post this convo on a forum, maybe some other people will bring up perspectives which help digest some of these factors
    jones> aim and dodge, this is just my opinion, I may be ignorant and stuff...
    jones> oh, nice
    Lofty> Yes, aim and dodge are heavily influenced by talent factor
    Lofty> but you can't make yourself live up to your best aim or dodge potential if you dont have the confidence to fuel it
    jones> the way you know how you move how you believe at the same time you dodge or move into a position to shoot...
    jones> I know I dont have enough confidence
    Lofty> Seems most people don't; I can't really relate since I've never had this issue, I'm pretty arrogant in most fields in life
    Lofty> It has it's ups and downs I suppose
    jones> You know...
    jones> I regret I never joined solstice with my main name and started playing there for real :/
    jones> I did a wrong turn
    jones> uhm, out of curiousity, do you have any dueling guides or something?
    Lofty> No I never wrote dueling guides, but I did contribute a lot to the Best Wb Styles thread, check my posts out there

That's my take on skill factors in this game. I'm sure lots of people have their own ideas on this subject, some might be certain variations of what I put up; feel free to share any.
    Awesome> i'm 20.. and definately bigger than you... where do you live, if i ever take a vacation there i'll come beat you up 7:Ripper> hahah
    7:destroy> he'll come to smash you with his keyboard
    7:death row> lol keyboard. must be thug =(((
    7:LofTy> Rofl Drow

Sika> 5:Rich> i went bowling with lofty irl

death row> just throw in a disclaimer: drunk lofty, cannot be responsible for drunk lofty's opinion.

skill does factor in this game. can i be ANY more sarcastic?

Comment

talk to bloodzombie about that exotic he is the king of sarcasim on the forums.

Comment

I'm intruiged as to what area of intelligence being good at video games falls under. Is being highly kinesthetic what helps you (because of reflexes). Is being a strong spacial (sp?) person help you (visualizing everything around you, perhaps with javs). Perhaps it's something to do with math, that your brain just seems to connect to.

Or maybe it's just being strong in all these areas especially. It would be interesting to see a study with any video game (doesn't have to be Continuum), where a group of people with different natural talents in real life square off. They all have to have equal training in the video game, all given the same opportunities and time frame to practice and hone their skills. Would the mathematician win? Would the pro football (soccer) player win? Would the Artist win? Or would the regular Joe Schmo who happens to be have an above average math proficiency (but not greater than the mathematician), an above average kinesthetic ability (not greater than that of the pro soccer player) and a person who can draw some pictures (but not as well as the Artist).

I'd be very interested in seeing who would win this "competition." Of course there is always a small luck factor that you have to put in, and you have to make sure none of these people are big time video gamers (Because they tend to have the upper hand) OR all of them are big time video gamers.

Comment

I think it really depends on what the game emphasizes. Some games emphasize strong coordination, some visual talent, others reflexes, and I think the player which has the particular aspect emphasized mostly developed will be victorious.

The way I see it, a zone like Trench Wars has multiple factors, all of which can be manipulated towards being a successful player. That would be where we get our radarers, our rushers, our midshooters, our backpeddlers, and others, from.

People who do longshots, particularly long shots which aren't radar, but the person is somewhere on the brink of the screen, have very good visual-to-mental + movement coordination/assessment; my buddy Raspi demonstrates this talent very well.

Others make use of spontaneous contextual variable assessment/perception in combination with good spatial & time sensitive coordination and visual talent to become solid rushers. Blood sets a good example of that.

There are many other branches of techniques in this zone which take advantage of other mental/physiological talents, and those competent in those fields stray towards them accordingly.
          Last edited by Lofty; 06-17-2004, 09:06 PM.
          Awesome> i'm 20.. and definately bigger than you... where do you live, if i ever take a vacation there i'll come beat you up 7:Ripper> hahah

death row> just throw in a disclaimer: drunk lofty, cannot be responsible for drunk lofty's opinion.

Comment

Ha sir you made a relativley easy concept seem so complex with all your huge words I dont think that confidence plays as big a factor in the "skill" part as you say it does. When I get overconfident, that usually leads to me getting angry then I start making mistakes. I think being calm and collected, almost laid back, plays a much bigger part in how well you play. If you are tense or agitated you are more likely to make mistakes. When you are calm and not so aggressive (which is what confidence tends to do to people), you can perform better overall I believe. Well that all just comes from my personal experience, I'm not so sure about others.
            I AM NOT AN ANIMAL

Comment

Its a good thing someone brought this topic up, a question like this comes to my mind when I win 2 elims in a row and get ass raped the third time by some guy who has played elim maybe about 5 times so far. Its also hard to say whether skill owned luck this TWLB season. To make the long story short I think that more emphasis should be put on perfecting this game so that upsets are kept to a minimum. There is already a wide gap between skill and luck however that is changing through time and that gap needs to stay the same .

-Tys
              Blood Love Overcomes Our Depressions

PROPERTY OF DICE AS OF FEB, 17 2007

WIN LOSE OR TIE UNITED FORCE TILL I DIE

THE BOYS OF SUMMER
              LIVE FOR GRAPEVINE
              SHED BLOOD FOR GRAPEVINE
              I DIE FOR GRAPEVINE

WWW.SIZZERB.COM

Comment

True, one of the things I dislike about this zone the most is that no matter how godly of a player you can become, you can still die to a 1 day old newbie due to the one hit kill issue. Luckily the one shot kill aspect brings about a lot more positive than negative though.

When I get overconfident, that usually leads to me getting angry then I start making mistakes. I think being calm and collected, almost laid back, plays a much bigger part in how well you play. - Bob (SRB)

Ironically, people who achieve true states of confidence are those that are the most laid back and collected. It is those that are prematurely full of themselves that are hasty to become angry or blame their shortcomings on others.

Confidence is something many people misinterpret. There's a difference between being cocky, egotistical, a bragger, and confident. Confidence, the way I use it in my theories, is a general belief in what you are capable of, and a stable sense of security as far as your limits or what you can accomplish. That type of mindset 'authorizes' you to do things to your limits, and keeps ideas and obstacles of doubt away from hampering your success.

Comment

As far as intelligence goes, the only place you can outsmart people in is pub, and when you do it's considered lame (for example a warbird hunts you down while you're a jav so you switch to cloaker and kill him). Theres no real way to mentally beat your opponent in WBs cause it all boils down to reflexes (dodging) and knowing what angle you have to turn to to make a shot. If you're comfortable with radar you'll naturally stay away from people close range and use radar and if you're a rusher you'll naturally get closer to them. But since it is a team game a there is a teamwork factor for people which counts for more than most give it credit for. I don't know too much about javs cause I rarely ever jav but I'd assume they are pretty much the same.

Oh yeah, it's not confidence so much as composure. It boils down to things like when you get spawned 2 or 3 times in a row how you will react the next death. Some people sorta give up and use it as an excuse for a bad performance. That is not as important, depending on the person. I've seen some people that get spawned a couple times and whine till they get TKed the rest of the match (then whine about the TKs). But most people don't let it get to them THAT bad.
                  I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                  I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Staying calm after dying is really difficult sometimes, at least for me. I've noticed that it helps to do esc+f5, not because you'd be reading what others say, but because you can't see what you're typing yourself, which makes it a lot harder to whine. When you can't type your whines properly, the agitation goes away a lot faster.
                    6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                    3 league vet

Comment

Dodging doesn't have much to do with reflexes, izor/ezor whoever.

Much more about anticipation and guessing/knowing where the shot will go, and move into another direction.
                      Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                      You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                      There wont be another election for president.
                      Obama is the Omega President.
                      http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Logically, the only advantage a very experienced player should have over a somewhat newer player is the knowledge they have gained. It doesn't really take that long to become comfortable with the controls and differences in reflexes don't matter a whole lot across the majority of players. It's just that after so many hours in here, knowing what do to and when becomes second nature. So much so, that applying the term veteran to some players seems like a perfect fit. A veteran in war is just someone who has seen a lot of action and survived long enough to gain a fair bit of knowledge and expertise. People often consider it an arrogant term to toss around, but when I think about it, a "vet" is just someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Da1andonly
                          Dodging doesn't have much to do with reflexes, izor/ezor whoever.

Much more about anticipation and guessing/knowing where the shot will go, and move into another direction.
                          if u got slow reflexes it is harder to dodge coz u are slower.
                          Originally posted by Kolar
                          My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
                          ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

I definitely think being a decent javs player requires you to have some spacial awareness which is something you either have or don't, it's not something you learn. Having this allows you to spot potential shots, where the bomb will hit and bounce etc.

~Ewan
                            USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                            ---A few minutes later---
                            9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                            9:Kim> UM
                            9:Kim> i didn't
                            9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                            9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                            9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                            9:pascone> lol?

Comment

You're using the word confidence but I think you have a different concept that what most people have. I agree with Bob- confidence (in the normal sense) usually only leads to blindness.

What you're talking about I understand more as "flow" (as in psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihaly flow) or being "in the zone". Especially when you talk about being laid-back or collected. Flow or zone has a calming effect and allows you to perform better.

To have good flow, the challenge is near equal to your ability. Challenge too high => frustration, ability too high => boredom. High challenge with high ability => high flow.

Ability is your word 'talent'. Confidence, as you're talking about it, sounds like a measure of flow.

Comment

Working...
                              X