No announcement yet.

Skill factors in this game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 80ms and 0.1 0.0 and even I know how to use my lag to my advantage. Lots of others are 200+ ping with high packetloss, now if they know how to use their lag.. then god have mercy on us all.

and yes I know 1 way to combat it is to shoot a little bit ahead of people, however I don't want to take tabs on every player in every room so I know who i have to shoot ahead for.

One of the most frustrating lagging ways is when they can actually disappear and reappear behind you or in fr. Don't get me started on the guys you hit.. 2 secs later they shoot back and then they die to your original shot.

I know lag is part of the game and it won't go away no matter how much I bitch about it.

On another note, I hate how you can eat the odd bullet/bomb (eats on both players screens). I hope in 900 years when the next continuum version comes out they'll fix that.

Comment

For me, the social aspects of the game cannot be ignored. If it was simply a ‘shoot-em-up’ game, I would go play against a computer opponent. These social, or human, aspects overlap the skill topic because I do not limit my definition of skill to being able to send a digital bullet across the screen. I prefer to think that skill also includes more intangible things. Such as the ability to join a group of disparate players, come together as a smoothly function group, and reach a common objective. For me, this could be simply going into a pub, joining a frequency that does not have the flag, and being able, through team-play, to conquer the flag room. Or it could be joining a squad and helping it reach it’s league objectives.
      If I maintain this perspective, the fact that I might not be my sharpest during any given game becomes much less important. Being a decent human being and contributing in ways other than pressing the ctrl key, allows a person to enjoy all the real advantages of this game.

Comment

I think we've talked enough about lag and single player's skill factors.

How about the 5 vs. 5 team skill factors?
        What do you think makes a good team? would anyone whos good in elim be good in squadduels? what do you think about the radaring in squadduels?

For me the first and most important of team skill factors is the ability to team well, not to run off alone, use coords macros and respond to other's help calls, if a squad teams well, it can eveb beat teams that consist of much better individual players.

Comment

Originally posted by Roi
          For me the first and most important of team skill factors is the ability to team well, not to run off alone, use coords macros and respond to other's help calls, if a squad teams well, it can eveb beat teams that consist of much better individual players.
          Yeah that's pretty much common sense Roi.

After years of trying to get people to team well, I honestly think the only effective strategy is the regroup. The don't attack if you're alone and regroup at all costs teaming strategy. This can also be supplmented by the 'laggy guy runs away 5on1 while the rest of his team vulches' strategy.

Any other real teaming in Trench Wars is more of a 'feel' that players have with eachother. Some people play well with other people and that's about it. Because of the 1-hit kill system, the inability to attach, the fact that it's too hard to find 5 people who will all 'listen' like in real life (and are still good players), and the fact that you can get spawned quite easily, any other system of teaming (such as seen in say SVS zones) is useless in the wb game.

As for the jav game, it's all about sticking together, helping people in trouble, and circling around to trap people from both sides.

-Epi
          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
          www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roi
            I think we've talked enough about lag and single player's skill factors.

How about the 5 vs. 5 team skill factors?
            What do you think makes a good team? would anyone whos good in elim be good in squadduels? what do you think about the radaring in squadduels?

I tried to talk about this in the best wb styles thread but nobody listened. heres what i said:

If you guys want to talk dueling strategy, I'd like to hear more about 5v5 warbird dueling. I believe it is even more interesting than 1v1 because the whole team-strategy element. Obviously there are different strategies, but I think it would be generally agreed upon that good teaming is obviously the best. Many squads who have trained together team in different ways. A prime example is shrieks "rush teaming" They generally stay together, but they are CONSTANTLY rushing. Why is this so effective? Because their rushing is always splitting up the other squad. Thats how shriek rapes unorganized squads so hard. But they run into problems when they run into a squad like say syndicate or -f-. If synd or -final- have their best wbs in, then i've seen that they both have more of a defensive aiming style. I think one of the best 5v5 matches possible today would be shrieks top rushers vs syndicates best aimers. In my opinion Syndicate would win if they stay in a tight team and radar well to pick off all shrieks rushers before they could get close enough to get at syndicate.

What would also be interesting would be your guys opinions on the best 5 person line possible. I believe if you get the right 5 people together, they can be literally unbeatable.
            I AM NOT AN ANIMAL

Comment

I remember that in the X-Wing era, me and shiran tried to make a different style of teaming, splitting the group to a 3 person team and a pair.
              you would try to team mainly with your splitted partners, this of course changes as soon as someone gets 10 deaths.
              And it's too long ago for me to remember if it worked ok or not :P

Comment

Working...
              X