Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting conversation with Mootland about Pub I would like you to read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting conversation with Mootland about Pub I would like you to read.

Philippe's nickname is Sumpson:
    you are pissing me off, im checking out forums
    Over my Head:
    Who are you/
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson
    Over my Head:
    How am I pissing you off?
    I am reading you have set up a committee to change public
    Over my Head:
    Did that ages ago
    why do you want to change public, settings?
    Over my Head:
    To make Publics better
    the reason should be to bring more competition to the game
    thats a bad answer
    define what is better
    Over my Head :
    The end result is to promote basing
    why do you want to promote basing
    Over my Head:
    Because it is what Trench Wars is about
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: not very good answers to me, not much of a reason, anyway I have thougt of changing the public arena's before, by not changing the settings, and not changing the map, the only way a change to the public is allowed in my book
    hilippe's nickname is Sumpson: my idea was made to bring more competitiveness to the game, to give a clear goal in the game
    Over my Head:
    And?
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson :
    it was agreed on by Pure_Luck and many others
    A bot coder would start working on it
    then the bot coder got sick or something, someone else had to take over..
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: now you come up with idea's to change the zone settings/maps, which is what people come to TW for
    Over my Head: Yeah
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: you are trying to reaching the same goal as me, but in a total wrong way
    Over my Head: Do yoyu know why?
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: why you are trying to reach it in a total wrong way?
    Over my Head: You really think improving one arena will increase competition? When I'm trying to improve all arenas?
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: what are you talking about, improving one arena?
    Over my Head: You want to improve just Pure publics?
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: NO
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: don't know where you got this
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: perhaps because P_L thougt the idea would be too drastic to apply at all pubs at once and instead try it at pure pubs first
    Over my Head: You need to calm down
    Over my Head: We can apply bots later
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: Like I said, I'm pissed off
    Over my Head: Don't care. You don't speak to me like that
    Over my Head: Right now, there needs to be a compromise between basers and Levis
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: I have it
    Over my Head: So there doesn't have to be any Pure Publics
    Over my Head: Everyone has it
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: Do you know what my idea is?
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson: Can you tell me what is wrong with it?
    Over my Head: All I need to know is that it's bot related. I didn't say nothing was wrong with it
    Over my Head: But there needs to be a few changes before we start introducing bots
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson zegt:
    I don't see a reason why, what's yours?
    Over my Head zegt:
    Well to increase basing in all arenas, we need to find a 'balance' between basers and LTers, because LTers are the main source behind destroying basing.
    Over my Head zegt:
    Once that is completed, the arenas will be the same settngs wise
    Over my Head zegt:
    Then we can work on promoting basing even further with bots and guides etc
    Why introduce something to balance between basers and levi's before introducing the bot when the bot has a solution for this problem?
    Over my Head zegt:
    A bot will not solve the problems by itself, far from it.
    Philippe's nickname is Sumpson zegt o you know what my idea is?Philippe's nickname is Sumpson zegt:Can you tell me what is wrong with it?
    Over my Head zegt:
    Good job. You learnt how to copy and paste
    Well you didnt answer it and now you are saying the bot will not solve the problem, so I felt like repeating myself and ask why the bot will not solve the problem
    Over my Head zegt:
    In order for a bot to work, there needs to be other mediums in place

Over my Head zegt:
    If you have the same Leviathan in place with the bot, the levi will still kill basing, and therefore people will get pissed off and wont base. They'll be doing other stuff
    I see you don't know what my solution is for this problem
    Over my Head zegt:
    Publics need a slow overhaul, not a single quick solution
    Over my Head zegt:
    You want to put a bot in publics with games
    There's more to it, for example a solution to the levi problem
    Over my Head zegt:
    Which is?
    Levi's ruin basing, levi's are useless for basing?
    How to make levi's usefull for basing? change the levi settings? big WRONG even tho I hate the levi, many like it so there needs to be a different solution.
    Allow 1 levi per freq, this way the levi has a meaning again and can be usefull. (don't like restrictions? well its totally restricted in pub 0-1 now!)
    Who would get to levi? The player with

most points can choose this.
    benefits > people want most points - experienced players have most points and know how to assign levi
    Over my Head zegt:
    And you'd have this in every arena if possible?
    yes why not
    levi gets to be something special
    like its supposed to be
    Over my Head zegt:
    And then we'd see a dramatic decrease in the population
    what makes you think so
    Over my Head zegt:
    There's a big LT population out there
    Over my Head zegt:
    I know. I actually play Pub
    Over my Head zegt:
    I actually LTed
    Over my Head zegt:
    5 years ago
    I never see more then 2 LT's and when there are, there's no basing, which is no fun for the LTers
    it will be more fun for LTers this way, more to kill, more competitive
    Over my Head zegt:
    Don't like that idea
    Over my Head zegt:
    Not killing off a popular part of the game
    ok then forget about combining basing and LTing
    Over my Head zegt:
    Well, it did work before Pure Publics. Where you here then?
    Over my Head zegt:
    Or still in DSB?
    No, at that time I thougt TW was a bunch of newbies who thougt it was exciting to use only 1 bullet to kill eachother, then I figured out TW also actually has a competitive team goal in ?go base and I started to play it
    Over my Head zegt:
    Well, there was basing in Publics with LeviTerrs.
    So there were more than 2 LeviTerrs while competitive basing going on?
    Over my Head zegt:
    Yeah
    I just don't believe that
    Over my Head zegt:
    Because you've never played publics really
    It has a reason
    because Public is meaningless, not competitive
    its what I want to change
    Over my Head zegt:
    It is competitive
    its a bunch of people fooling around without a clear goal really
    if you want to attract players, this is what needs to be changed
    Over my Head zegt:
    Your second idea baout Leviathans is horrible. But I was thinking of putting bots in ALL public arenas
    if you want to attract players, you need to make the game competitive
    and add a clear goal
    Over my Head zegt:
    I know that
    I don't see how you can get the levi working together with basing otherwise without touching the map/settings
    changing map/settings is not what you should be wanting
    Over my Head zegt:
    That's why we are testing out settings
    its what will kill the population
    Over my Head zegt:
    Well just having a bot won't help us at all
    why not?
    Over my Head zegt:
    I've just explained above. Go read it
    hmm yeah right you mentioned something about a LT population who rather shoots at an empty base
    Over my Head zegt:
    Well, if you read it incorrectly, then yes.
    I'm gonna ask the public what they think of this conversation, you want the public to have a voice right
    Over my Head zegt:
    With the proposals the Public Committee create/make, the Public have a say, yes.
    the committee is probably a group of friends who agree with everything you say I assume
    Over my Head zegt:
    No, the Public Committe are people who actually play Publics
    Over my Head zegt:
    And who have experience in playing publics

I think Mootland Farmer is incompetent as Head of "Public Committee", I think the "Public Committee" is useless, and am afraid they are about to ruin Trench Wars.

What are your thougts?
    Only the loyal count.

No clue as to why you think changing the lev so it doesn't destroy basing (no matter what bots you introduce unless it restricts levis) is going about changing public arenas in the wrong way. I think you were just a bit upset that you weren't totally in the loop on public settings. Like moot said, settings THEN bots. But there are some fundamental problems with publics that can't be fixed by bots, settings need tweaked (if you disagree just look at the levi and the weasel).
    (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

Some previous posts I made about the proposed idea:

The bot would keep track of the time each freq has and show it in the top right corner. When a freq has 10minutes the game is over, it will show the scores of all players which have been playing (for over 5minutes, the whole game?) and give out one MVP.
      The current MVP system is kind of random to me, people don't fight to get MVP, this way people would fight to get MVP which would make the game more interesting and have more people trying (MVP = spider!).
      Whenever I play pub I ignore the bot messages which is easy, with the new system I would be liking to play to get MVP and try playing good.

I think overall it would be much more interesting to play pub this way, and don't really understand why the current pub game is the way it is.

the con of this idea is, people get online to play the game they like, if this is changen they might not get online anymore. but this is the same problem you have with each change, I really think it would get more players then less, ?go base players like me would be starting to play pub more often and get serious action going on in it.

>REPLY

Ah Im able to post now! I've sent two other replys in this topic but they never showed up.

Anyway they we're about the idea of the pub basing, the idea is to use the game formule like in ?go base in the pub arena's.
      This does not mean ship-restrictions, too much of the current players wouldn't like that. They like to do what they are used to in pub and this should not be changen by changes from staff, try to change them and let them focus on the teaming.

Those who are basing in pub can focus on the bot messages(time score) and for this try to team better to get the MVP and or good rec at the player stats send by bot at end. I believe this would lead to a more competitive and thus better public.

----------------------------------------------

It seems the Pub Bot topic has died, which I am surprised to see since I don't see why this is not priority #1 to work on for bot coders.

?go base bot in public without any ship restrictions, players should be able to do whatever they want in public. I believe this would bring more basing action even without ship restrictions tho.

What exactly needs to be done?

The bot should:
      • Record the time each freq has and show it on the top right.
      • Show scores at end of game (10mins) of players who have been playing from the start.
      • Show 1 MVP (system like in ?go base)
      • After a game ended start a new one after 3 minutes.

Also, the current basing game should be removed.
      I don't see any structure in working on the new bot, and don't hear anything about it. Since I came up with the idea of getting the basing games in public like in ?go base I thougt it might be good if I make clear what should be done.

This change would have the biggest effect on the zone, this is why I wonder why it's not priority #1.

Why this change?
      To bring more harmony to the zone, newbies would have a clear view on what basing is about.
      To get more interest in the pub basing from everyone including ?go base players.
      The MVP would make people want to try playing good (since it would be only 1 and not 5 random players like currently), to get this MVP they would have to play spider which would bring better teams and more basing action.

This MVP would also get points later on for the new TWRPS system (current MVP is random to me, none fights for it, don't believe earning points for it would be right)

I know I don't have a staff possition and you don't excactly look up to me because of this but I hope you do take this seriously. I have spoken with Pure_Luck about this and he agrees with the new pub basing theme. I hope you do too
      Only the loyal count.

Comment

Hm.

Mootland Farmer's opinion

or

Sumpson's opinion

No contest, Moot knows what he's doing and he doesn't need some egotistical jackass like you telling him what to do. If you were in his position you could do your little plan, but guess what, you're not, and thank god for that.
        7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
        Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
        TWLJ Champion Season 11
        TWLB All-Star Season 10
        Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Originally posted by Kontrolz View Post
          No clue as to why you think changing the lev so it doesn't destroy basing (no matter what bots you introduce unless it restricts levis) is going about changing public arenas in the wrong way. I think you were just a bit upset that you weren't totally in the loop on public settings. Like moot said, settings THEN bots. But there are some fundamental problems with publics that can't be fixed by bots, settings need tweaked (if you disagree just look at the levi and the weasel).
          Both freqs only have 1 levi, I don't believe it will be able to ruin the basing, but make the levi's meaningfull again. If a levi does get a couple good shots, players will start hunting the levi and the basing can continue. Players won't hunt the levi if they don't care about the basing, and the basing will die.

Yes I am a bit upset about my idea of the public arena's being out of the loop after having much discussions about Pure_Luck, different staff, and even contacting bot coders with permission to create the bot.
          However I am more upset about them wanting to change the shipsettings and map of the game I like (well its not pub, but would like it to be pub, pub changes might get trough to real basing tho).

The first zone I started playing in was SFSS Star Wars, it was in the year 1998, I played there for about 2 years, then some Sysop felt like changing the settings, and so totally ruined the zone. He later got the zone SWR with that settings and the zone SFSS Star Wars died because the population was ripped appart and wasn't high anyway. And so I had to find a new zone, I don't want to find a new zone again because someone feels like ruining the settings I have chosen to play.

PS Voth, to me it seemed Mootland has no idea what he's doing.
          Only the loyal count.

Comment

Your ideas Sumpson.

The bot idea has some merit. I think most of us would like to see a basing bot implemented to help promote basing in Publics, as that's what stated in the Zone Objectives.

I disagree with the Leviathan idea. As much as I hate Leviathans, it would be suicide to limit them to one per frequency or team. We would lose a whole community. To be honest, I would rather find a compromise between basers and LTers. And besides, Publics are meant to be a place where you can play any ship (I realise the irony of me saying this, but that's why I want to find a compromise, so there would be no Pure Publics). I don't think just having a bot will make things all fine and dandy. I don't know why, but it seems harder to revert changes than make them, but the Public Committee are trying to make changes in your guys best interests. There will always be someone who is pissed off, but that's because of how much the zone has branched out. Ok, I'm probably just rambling on now, but I hope you get the point.

The Public have quite a big say in these decisions as Upper Staff have let them. And so they should. But there has to be a change, and going on utilitarian theory that change has to be a change which least upsets people.
            "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
            • Shark
            • Dicer
            • Sager
            • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

yo

fuck basing

dueling ftw!

-Barton
              SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
              SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
              Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
              Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
              1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
              1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

god nerds
                TWLD Season 8 Champion: -FINAL-
                TWLB Season 9 Champion: -FINAL-

Sika> go in, burst and portal out © everett 2006 all rights reserved
                Cross> feel like masturbating after seeing everett in javbirt
                1:LF> my gf gives bad head, how do i fix this 1:pinkSTAR> give head to another guy 1:LF> k ur ignored
                4:moot> cintra thinks he's as good as ev now so he's decided not to talk in public like him
                1:broly> winning this title is like having sex

Comment

Originally posted by Sumpson View Post
                  What are your thougts?
                  That you're a reactionary, and that this probably deserves to be in Trash Talk.
                  "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

thought fat ivan was posting his convo. Nice ideas sump, competition in pub when zone is deadish

SUMP 4 STAFF
                    9:Everett> well with pascone in -f-, our squad standards just experienced a decrease of 150%

Comment

Originally posted by Tone
                      It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                      Originally posted by the_paul
                      Gargle battery acid fuckface
                      Originally posted by Material Girl
                      I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post
                        iWorship

Comment

Using a bot to hide the problems is at best a temporarily solution.

Ps. Why is the public committee only testing levi settings?

Comment

the problem is not the settings or the map, this is what made Trench Wars the most popular zone.
                            The problem is the lack of competition, which can be solved with "just a bot".

PS. saying it does not work because it is "just a bot" is a very bad argument.
                            Last edited by Sumpson; 10-21-2006, 05:13 AM.
                            Only the loyal count.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumpson View Post
                              the problem is not the settings or the map, this is what made Trench Wars the most popular zone.
                              The problem is the lack of competition, which can be solved with "just a bot".
                              You may not have noticed it but the settings have been tweaked over the years... Also, you say that the problem is not with the settings, but you still want to limit the usage of a certain ship? Would that not suggest that there is a problem with the settings?

This is not the year 2000 anymore and because the current situation is what it is, more drastic changes are necessary to keep the game running for another 10 years. Simply patching the public arenas with a bot alone will not accomplish that.

That stubborn attitude regarding any changes is what will eventually kill this zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X