What is TW's definition of racism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blueblaze View Post
    What happens if I refer to the n-word when quoting something from the 1800s where the n-word was common language and not considered racist, but just normal? Ironically, more black people use the n-word more than white people. If TW wanted to get rid of racism, then those words shouldn't even be banned, because keeping those words as racial derogatory is racism in its core. This is why racism exist today, because we insist on keeping those words as racial swearing. What’s the point if a white person calls another white person an n-word? Does that mean he is black? or is less than black? or does it just mean he's unpleasantly insulting the person? Online you don't know for sure who is white or black, so what’s the point if a person who we don't know whose race is calls someone who as well we don't know whose race is a racial slur? On the internet, we're as good as one race, so why keep racial segregation alive? Why is TW so racist? What's the point?
    Ehh? What the...
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Recognizing that people come from different cultural backgrounds is not a form of racism. Let's get that clear up before anyone starts believing those posts above. For example, Canada has a multicultural society, where we recognize people's roots and respect their heritage instead of expecting the to conform to something they are not. It's something that Canadians are proud of, and something that people outside of Canada have praised. Claiming to be "colourblind" and pretending that race doesn't exist at all is naive and restrictive, and is becoming an excuse for actual racists who make discriminatory statements and then try to justify them by saying "I don't think race exists, so therefore I'm not technically being racist".

Blueblaze also argued that punishing people for racism is a form of racism because we're identifying certain labels as being negative. That's looking at the problem backwards: they aren't being defined as negative just because the zone is against their usage; staff keeps tabs on those terms because of they were being abused. Many keep saying that racism exists because staff made rules against it. What they forget is that if racism didn't already exist, there would be no need for rules in the first place.

And if race shouldn't be an issue on the Internet at all, then it's also not staff's fault for having rules against racism, but the people who bring up race in the first place.

Blame the cause, not the effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
        Ehh? What the...
        That's the point.

On earth, our beginning and our end results are exactly the same. What makes us different is not something that can be physically traced. The existance of racism is limited to how the racism is acknowledged. However much is acknowledged in culture, or even on this game, is how much will take place.
        May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

Bluebaze start making a point or stop posting. Please.

Comment

Racism- hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

So my question is, howcome people aren't banned for racism when they say stuff like 'Shut up you stupid american' -- Americans would be a race- A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.. Why aren't these people warned or banned along with people who say 'Die u euro fuck'. These statements are both racist in definition. Why is it that blacks and jewish people are the only ones that are protected under this rule? If people can call me a dumb american i should be able to call them a dumb jewish kid. Amirite? Yes i am.
            Lofty> Why must I sit in my chat, listening to some pseudo-homosexual adolescent males go over my looks with such care

Comment

You identified a real problem, but you're asking the wrong question.

If people can make fun of Americans but can't make fun of Jews, then there's a problem. The solution isn't that you should be allowed to make fun of Jews too, but that Americans shouldn't be subject to discrimination either.

It's a matter of there being justice applied for one group but not for a second. It's like when your neighbour gets a tax cut and you don't. What you're asking is for neither of you to get the tax cut, when what you should be asking is for both of you to get the benefit.

Comment

I can promise each and every one of you, gentle forum readers, that this thread is Going Places.
                Originally posted by Ward
                OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Well, why is it illegal to use Jews or African Americans part of insults, but it's legal to use Americans, Canadians, Euros, Hispanics, Asians, etc... as part of insults?

Why is it illegal to say, "Die you Jew" but nothing wrong with "Die you Euro"
                  May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

Why is it illegal to say, "Die you Jew" but nothing wrong with "Die you Euro"
                    Jews were targets in a partly successful extermination campaign, whereas Euro's weren't. Jews are a specific ethnic, cultural group, whereas Euros are a heterogeneous mix of religions and ethnicities.

That's where I disagree with TK's point. I don't think it should be an issue for someone to trash talk someone's nationality or religion, but I do think it should be forbidden from trash talking racial ethnicity. Nations are usually a mix of ethnicities and religious groups, so I just think it's going overboard to start regulating that too.
                    Last edited by Subjugation; 12-26-2006, 02:45 AM.

Comment

i'm pretty sure i've never played a game with such stupid people
                      violence> dont talk 2 me until u got 900+fbook friends and can take 1 dribble from the 3 point line n dunk

[Aug 23 03:03] Oops: 1:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life
                      [Aug 23 03:20] money: LOL NOT QUITE VIO BUT 5:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                        I find it funny how everyone is such a humanitarian in Trench Wars, we all hate racism when we want to get someone in trouble that we don't like, and then after we get that player banned for it, or ban him yourselves for you staffers in here, you get on your squad chat and said "LOL I BANNED THAT N****R". I doubt there are any black players on TW, I doubt that even if we do if they get offended, I am against the racism rule as it is because right now it is just a convenient way for mods to have a reason to ban someone they don't like, or look the other way otherwise. Having open-ended rules when you are dealing with a Staff Force of 13 year olds and up like you Ewan, who have an ego, and ass kissing problem isn't wise. I would say atleast 75% of racism bans are reported and executed by a player/staffer who doesn't like the player they are reporting or about to ban.
                        this makes sense if its actually why you dont like the racism rules. however, ive never heard you say this before, so somehow i doubt thats actually why you dislike the racism rules.
                        5:gen> man
                        5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I'm not trying to stir racial controversy with 'this' point
                          Yet it happened. How can you say that when you continue to post more questions? I thought your initial question was answered. There's no reason to set more fuel to the fire. Unless you intended to make it more than it is.

Comment

Blueblaze, I don't understand why you would have to be racist towards something specific, for example black people. Just do what Jamal does, and call everyone and everything "dem fuks".
                            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                            There wont be another election for president.
                            Obama is the Omega President.
                            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
                              Cracker is a word created from the old word 'whip cracker', the white person who cracked the whip on the black slaves. I don't understand how that's supposed to be an insult to a white person. Perhaps it implies they are an asshole? If that's what it's meant to symbolize, it doesn't really get its point across.
                              Nitty gritty - Originally referred to the stuff in the bottom holds of slave ships.

Bulldozer - Originally came from the term "bulls dose" referring to 'I gave the slave a bulls dose' (meaning massive whipping).

Many english words have been derived from African meanings.

But point here is that we would all be better off if we tried to avoid sweeping generalizations and stereo-typing. Stereo-typing means that you are making a judgment about a person’s predisposition. When someone mentions Native American, a person might think “red-skinned drunk”. But a person might also think, ‘native guy sitting outside, being one with nature’. Both are stereo-typing, both are harmful. Lumping people into a group without giving them a chance to show you who they are is not a good thing. I have seen many statements about Euros, Americans, etc. in these forums, only the worst racist words are banned. But this does not mean that showing your ignorance by making generalizations or stereo-typing is banned. In most cases, you are welcome to show the world that you are no different than your parents by stereo-typing people. People who can think for themselves, are well traveled, or simply have some consideration for others usually try to avoid stereo-typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrahen View Post
                                hahaha this thread is awesome
                                Agreed.
                                (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                                5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                                1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                                1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

Working...
                                X