No announcement yet.

An end of an Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pure pub was actually the only thing I played on TW. Now i have nowhere left.

Comment

Woah... bold move O_O"
      i am not sure how this will turn out... lets wait and see!

we can always change if it doesnt work out. :greedy:
      AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

Give Us Our Purs Pub Back

Levis ruin Pub for basers...The chance for us to have something even close to resembling twbd or ?go base is pure pub and now you want to take it from us. They already have there own pubs...they don't need pub 0! Just give us one pub, pub basing is crappy with levs in it..you are never safe and always watching the roof/sides for a lev bomb with a bombing radius of half your screen. You never feel safe wen ur playing in pub with levs..if you want to play with levs go to a different pub, theres a reason pub 0 was always full and the newbier pubs were not..thats because people liked the challenge of pure pub, 3 minutes to hold flag, thats a real challenge. I would like to start a revolution with anyone who will join me, MY REVOLUTION IS WE SPAWN ALL LEVS THAT ENTER PUB 0 AND MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GRN...Even if they are on your own team find a way to kill them by all means....IF ANYONE WILL JOIN MY IN MY REVOLUTION PLEASE FEEL FREE...VIVA LE LEVALOUTION !!!!

KILL ALL LEVS, DEATH TO ALL LEVS, I WILL SPAWN ALL
        :All Of Trench Wars>Jockman we are total newbs
        :Jockman>I know im here to help you realise that
        :All Of Trench Wars>have my children Jock
        :Jockman>thats Jockman to you thanx :fear:

Comment

Just wanted to say that I really like what I'm reading here, great job mister!
          sigpic
          What is even the elblow?

Comment

Thanks Moot for your efforts.
            Your primary point about not having an objective is well taken. Most people do not understand the importance of having this well defined and disseminated. As you know, there is a huge difference between a tactical and strategic perspective. Clear objectives are strategic in nature. Tactical activities are lower level and can only be successful when the strategy is in place. Changing maps and changing ships are tactical activities. Your original post above lays out the strategic difficulties and obstacles of not having an objective in place yet many people follow with tactical ideas like that is what is going to make things better.
            TW can continue to push along into the future the same blind way it has in the past. Making tactical changes can always fill up time and appease the need for change for change’s sake. Moot, Pusher, and a handful of others are the only ones, IMO, that have given it any vision at all. Thank God we at least had them.

Comment

I realize that the basers are the fun part of LTing (what fun is a shark with no prey?), but being a baser, I will miss pure pub. It is much different than 8v8 basing and so there is a major part of SubSpace that will now be lost for me.

I guess the question comes down to.. should pub be basing, or should it be exciting craziness? IMO, there are other zones out there that provide this and no other zones that provide TW style basing. I would rather it be basing, but I am biased.

So where is the compromise? I don't know. But have we ever considered changing the Levi? What makes it so controversial, so fun and yet so destructive to basers is that it is overpowered. And combined with a Terrier, it is devastating. The Levi in Distension was modelled after the pub Levi, but dug found a great way to make it usable for basing and yet combined with a Terrier and another Levi or two, it would still be devastating. If our public Levi's had reduced bombs/range that did non-lethal damage and/or was switched to an EMP, combined with a Terrier and another Levi, I think it would still be very fun to play for LTing, require a bit more teamwork and skill, and yet would be less devastating to those in the flag room. And If it were switched to an EMP as it is in Distension, I think it would add a great deal of use to basers as well.

-ali :innocent:

Comment

Distension = the new pure pub Balanced settings, great basing, No newb tkers. what more could you want.

Someone pointed out to me in pub the other day, its not LTs that kill basings, its private freqs. By making access to these harder and have to be earnt though good play will do alot of good. Prehaps access could take into account your squad's points as well, encoraging pubbing squads. I think moot has made a bold decsion, I hope he sticks to it.
                Last edited by Doc Flabby; 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM.
                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Good job, Moot, however, I think I'm a part of the group that doesn't like it. I can see how it is a good idea, and I support you.

This change isn't a good one for me, I've always loved pure pubs, and is about the only thing I play. Some careless basing action without any waiting.

I'm sure I can adjust, just takes some time getting used to. I haven't LT'd in AGES either.
                  Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

I agree with alinea. Change the lev, not the entire pub. I dont mind bringing levs back and all that, but I really like the timed game. People can still team together , duel in spawn, be an LT, or whatever. But for the basers a goal would be nice. Anyone can hold a flag--but can they for 3 mins? This also requires teamwork. To be honest I think bringing LT's back to disrupt a team from holding it for 3 mins would make it slightly more exciting and require more strategy.

Only bad part is now we have 2 major tking machines-the javs and now levs.

Comment

I've wanted to quit playing anyhow, I was playing too much. Thanks for the motivation.

Comment

Firstly I would like to say Mootland, you've done a great job so far. Not everything was succesfull, but every success comes with it's errors. You've definetely helped pub become more interesting eversince you started working on them.

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post
                        Distension = the new pure pub Balanced settings, great basing, No newb tkers. what more could you want.

Someone pointed out to me in pub the other day, its not LTs that kill basings, its private freqs. By making access to these harder and have to be earnt though good play will do alot of good. Prehaps access could take into account your squad's points as well, encoraging pubbing squads. I think moot has made a bold decsion, I hope he sticks to it.

I agree with Doc Flabby on this. The ships in #distension are already very balanced. Implementing a system alike that of Distension is a whole other matter. I personally think a system like that requires too much of it's users. If we would implement this, people will leave the publics for sure.

I do however think you can make use of the ship settings in Distension. One of it's major improvements is the leviathan EMP bomb, rather than exploding bomb. The large proximity remains. I also think it can be useful in a public, to have certain ships 'unlock' at a certain amount of points. For instance, Leviathan can be unlocked at 200.000 points, and Weasel at 300.000. Of course, this would require less resetting of the Trench Wars Publics. (Or, much lower unlock requirements)

Again, I agree with Doc Flabby on the fact that it's not LeviathanTerriers who kill the publics, it's the private frequencies. Frequencies with four or five people in them, are no match for a base full of enemies. They will soon stop trying to get base, and start dueling. Because there's less offensive players at this moment, base will need less people to defend. These can then join a private frequency themselves. It's a vicious circle. A solution to this, would again be setting point requirements as you already mentioned Mootland. Another solution would be setting a maximum amount of private frequences, for instance 5. This allows people to play on their own for a while, but when they quit, another player can take their place.

These are just some thoughts. Comments are very welcome, flaming is not.

Regards,

Hakkinen B)

Comment

big mess...

I am really a few word guy but now i got to soy something about this...

Thanks for killing baseing in Pubs Moont... never thought I would say this but you messed up big time whit this. If the pure pubs wont go back it will kill the pub baseing and whit that the whole point of trench wars.

We need one pure pub... it doesn't have to be pub 0.
                          Or TW will lose players I am sure of it.

5 years of TW
                          7 whit Continuum.
                          (maybe too much)

-Star Taxi

Comment

Originally posted by hak View Post
                            I agree with Doc Flabby on this. The ships in #distension are already very balanced. Implementing a system alike that of Distension is a whole other matter. I personally think a system like that requires too much of it's users. If we would implement this, people will leave the publics for sure.
                            I think you misunderstood my point, I was suggesting that distension can coexist with pub, in a way purepub failed to. pure-pub belonged in its own arena imo. Basically its an automated version of ?go base. Only with free ship selection...
                            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Before pure pub settings removed...

Pub 0 - Pure public basing
                              Pub 1 - Whatever people wanted to do

After settings removed...

Pub 0 - Whatever people want to do
                              Pub 1 - Whatever people want to do

..atleast with the pure pub settings there was to be no private freqs in pub 0.
                              I wish you all the best in improving public play, Moot.

Comment

Moot, although I agree pubs should include all aspects of TW, dueling and basing (and maybe even being able to collectively hate on leviterrs), I have a few suggestions for the map.

make small entrances for the left and right ears of lower base, have doors for them just like for the side-tubes in lower base. the problem i always had with leviterrs is that, unless they're complete idiots, they're far too difficult to catch, you have to either use a roofterr or you have to warp out of base, and by then they're long gone. a few small entrances will make it possible for the basers to quickly push away the leviterr / surround them and switch back to basing.
                                also this means there's more ways to enter base of course, but i don't see this as harming, it just means the entire space that the leviterr has around the base will now be used by more players aswell..

i really love the time-games, i'd advise you to bring those back, with a bit of a twist, have a different mvp system: show teamleader (flag-takes) and teamleader (kills or points).

the only reason i rarely play pub is because i find myself always being the only one trying to keep teams balanced, last sunday i played for 2 hours straight, first half hour i was just trying to get a good pub-session going, once both freqs finally were balanced the pub became extremely exciting for about 1.5 hours (then it died again). maybe have a bot that keeps the freq in balance? this shouldn't be too difficult. also i think if 'veterans' play pub they should set a better example by not clutching up together and making the pub very uneven..

also i think pub should include people dueling in spawnzone and around safety zones.. maybe a bot like in ?go javs that shows who is on a killing-spree would be a nice feature, except only for people who get 10+ kills in a row to not flood the arena with meaningless green messages of whoever got 3 kills in a row.. or maybe use a bit of the map for better designed dueling arenas (maybe even move duel-bot to pub?) but not sure if that would work (theres enough room on the map for duel-arenas though).. have to crank up the limit to 40-45 though, 35 is really too low...

i gtg now.

Comment

Working...
                                X